Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2020, 06:35 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jghall00 View Post
Any of the 2500 SUVs or 3500 vans will provide the extra payload you need. In the meantime, I suggest checking front axle weight to assist with stability. You can also move items from the front storage to the one in the slide. This will place more load on the trailer axle. Good luck!
Great suggestion, I pretty much already did that though. Front storage is under 70lbs of storage already. Distributing weight has been more difficult which is why I ordered the EQ and went with the 12000 instead of the 10 I have now. They did a bad job setting it up when I bought it. The guy installed my e2 with my truck hanging out of their garage at a fairly steep angle. I asked the guy how he knew if it was setup right and he gave me the “I’ve been doing this since the 90s.”

It’s also harder to setup bc of the autolevel on the burb, but that’s another post altogether. And then there’s dry hitch weight. I bought the tt thinking it had hitch weight if 636 bc that’s what it says in forest rivers website and all over the internet and the dealer website. Only to find out that was the 2019s. The 2020 have 768, but the only way I could have known that is to download a hidden brochure from forest rivers website which contradicts what they have actually listed. My dealers response was tongue weight doesn’t matter.
Smazze is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2020, 11:23 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smazze View Post
Thank you, that's helpful. There's a 2005 with the 8.1 fairly close to here I may look into. It has the 4.1 axle ratio though which I'm guessing would make MPG even worse.
The one my co-worker bought came out of Texas. Was a one owner trade in to a Chevy dealer in San Antonio, it has the 4.10 gears. He flew out, looked it over, dealer had to order a heater hose (with special end) and their mechanic insisted the rear crank seal was leaking but co-worker made them pull the filter only to find it double gasketed. They gave him an oil change, fixed the heater hose, a full tank of gas, a loaner car to go to the hotel for the night waiting for the hose, and took his check for $1000 less than they were asking, and later refunded him $21 overcharge on fees related to the title and such. Nicest people you could ask for. Only major issue he has had with it is a leaking hydroboost, and he put a brand new unit on it, we don't like rebuilds, and the dealer gave him a good price on it.

Put a deep transmission pan on it and fresh fluid and go, has a trans temp gauge in the instrument cluster. Co-worker insisted on a 2500, 4wd and 8.1L.

They go quick, he had a dealer in Oregon send 50 or so pics of one they listed that day, only to have them call him in a few minutes and say someone came in off the street and bought it without even looking at it. It was a nice one. '05 does not have EGR, not sure what year they quit the EGR, but earlier 8.1L does have EGR.

Gale Banks has a dark green 8.1L 2500 Burb as a personal daily driver if that says anything.

Its a medium duty truck engine, and the 4L85 transmission is no slouch either. They do have issues with electronics in the radios and instrument clusters.

Charles
Old 06-28-2020, 07:28 AM   #17

You aren’t kidding about selling quick. Probably right now I seven worse with everyone and their brother RVing because there’s nothing else to do. I think I will likely have to either buy one unseen or just wait for a while. Every one I call about is either sold or sells within 1 or 2 days around here. Interesting you said Texas bc SW us seems to have an abundance of 2500s at reasonable prices and some have been listed for months. May have to make a one way trip.
Old 06-28-2020, 01:22 PM   #18

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I had a 2500 burb with the 7.4L. Great vehicle, but as it closed in on 200k, there were just too many things to keep fixing. Now I have a 2016 Expedition EL. It tows better than my old burb, at least for my setup. My loaded trailer weight is usually about 6k.
Old 06-29-2020, 06:16 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Money View Post
I had a 2500 burb with the 7.4L. Great vehicle, but as it closed in on 200k, there were just too many things to keep fixing. Now I have a 2016 Expedition EL. It tows better than my old burb, at least for my setup. My loaded trailer weight is usually about 6k.
Do you remember what kind of things were going wrong that you had to fix?

A couple people have mentioned the expedition el. I never really considered it because I didn’t think the cargo capacity would be high enough for our load. Do you know the gvwr and/or gcwr? I’m thinking about 15k gcwr but can’t seem to find gvwr. Any problems with the twin turbo? I’ve had an ecoboost before and had nothing problems in a Lincoln.
Old 08-25-2020, 09:36 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesinGA View Post
The one my co-worker bought came out of Texas. Was a one owner trade in to a Chevy dealer in San Antonio, it has the 4.10 gears. He flew out, looked it over, dealer had to order a heater hose (with special end) and their mechanic insisted the rear crank seal was leaking but co-worker made them pull the filter only to find it double gasketed. They gave him an oil change, fixed the heater hose, a full tank of gas, a loaner car to go to the hotel for the night waiting for the hose, and took his check for $1000 less than they were asking, and later refunded him $21 overcharge on fees related to the title and such. Nicest people you could ask for. Only major issue he has had with it is a leaking hydroboost, and he put a brand new unit on it, we don't like rebuilds, and the dealer gave him a good price on it.

Put a deep transmission pan on it and fresh fluid and go, has a trans temp gauge in the instrument cluster. Co-worker insisted on a 2500, 4wd and 8.1L.

They go quick, he had a dealer in Oregon send 50 or so pics of one they listed that day, only to have them call him in a few minutes and say someone came in off the street and bought it without even looking at it. It was a nice one. '05 does not have EGR, not sure what year they quit the EGR, but earlier 8.1L does have EGR.

Gale Banks has a dark green 8.1L 2500 Burb as a personal daily driver if that says anything.

Its a medium duty truck engine, and the 4L85 transmission is no slouch either. They do have issues with electronics in the radios and instrument clusters.

Charles
Just an update, I picked up an '02 2500 Burb on ebay with the 8.1 and 4.10. Flew out to east coast and drove home last week. First time I've done anything like that, was a great time. Can't beat the $35 flight. Have a few things to fix, but overall it's in great shape I think. I had it inspected before I went out there, which gave me some peace of mind. Going to put a class V hitch on I think, order a new shank, and should be ready to tow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	02 Burb.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	298565  
Old 08-25-2020, 10:10 AM   #21

Cool, the 1st thing I see is the long wheelbase. Great for controlling a travel trailer. That 8.1 litre engine is a beast but the truck I drove needed more gears.

That sounds like a real adventure and something I think a lot of people think about.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 09:23 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Cool, the 1st thing I see is the long wheelbase. Great for controlling a travel trailer. That 8.1 litre engine is a beast but the truck I drove needed more gears.

That sounds like a real adventure and something I think a lot of people think about.
Yeah I was pretty nervous about it. Getting it inspected beforehand helped. I haven't towed with it yet, so I will post back with an update just for anyone who might be in the same boat. I always hate it when people ask for help, get it, and then never post back with feedback.

I've head good and bad with the 4 speed. I would have loved to get a newer Burb 2500 w 6 speed, but those things are going for way too much right now and I liked the idea of the 8.1. It's fun to drive.
Old 08-30-2020, 05:40 PM   #23

Rig looks good. I tow with an 08 2500 6.0 six speed suburban. Towed my pop up like nothing was back there. Rented a few campers largest having an 8k dry weight and near 30. While a bit heavy for it never once felt like I wasn’t in control and only time I felt lack of power was going up a step windy mounting hillside at slow speed. Just needed to understand I had to stay and first a just go slow for a mile or so till the road straightened out. One thing I have found with the 6.0
And 3.73 gears with any decent load and ca towing speed being 55 is that it doesn’t want to maintain 60 in 5th so it runs in 4 and constantly shifts or I go 65 and all is good, which is typically what I do. Have our first trip with our new to ya trailer next weekend so we will see how it doe with about 6500 behind it.
Gmwelder86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 06:42 PM   #24

Look for a Duramax/Allison 2500 Suburban......will change your tow game!
IMXCITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 01:00 PM   #25

Congrats! We have an 05 8.1 burb that tows our 33.5 ft jayflight weighing roughly 8500 lbs really well here in Midwest . We have a Hensley hutch. Def put a curt class 5 hitch or similar and get get rid of the junky gm tube style. I wish we had the 4.10 rear like you. Keep an eye on oil. Earlier year 8.1 seemed to drink some. Also look into the transfer case pin hole leak. If your mechanically incline a 100 dollar aftermarket part and a weekend of wrenching will prevent your transfer case from imploding. Motor and trans still act like new at 110000 miles. This power plant should go 200-250k with proper maintenance. Living in the rust belt has taken a toll on her but plan on running it till the end. I have wrenched on about every part of our 8.1 so if you ever have any questions feel free to pm me or ask. Happy trails!
rte1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 03:13 PM   #26

Quote:
Just an update, I picked up an '02 2500 Burb on ebay with the 8.1 and 4.10. Flew out to east coast and drove home last week. First time I've done anything like that, was a great time. Can't beat the $35 flight. Have a few things to fix, but overall it's in great shape I think. I had it inspected before I went out there, which gave me some peace of mind. Going to put a class V hitch on I think, order a new shank, and should be ready to tow.
Thank You for the follow up, great to see someone find a vehicle that will work for them.

Pickup tow mirrors will fit perfectly in the place of the originals.

https://www.ksource.org/product-desc...4&t=towing_web

Ksource is the OEM for many vehicle manufacturers.

Charles
Old 09-06-2020, 08:33 PM   #27

Quote:

Color me jealous! I don’t NEED a 3/4 ton Burb, but I’ve always lusted after the 8.1/Allison combo...and in a Suburban it just makes it that much cooler. I’ve owned a few 6.0 motors, and it sure sounds like you get about the same mileage but gobs more power. Congrats! Looks like a super clean example.
Jcgonzal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 08:46 AM   #28

The burb didn’t get the Allison like the trucks. The burb got the 4l85 which is in my opinion a rock solid tranny.
rte1985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
suburban, tow