Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2021, 04:01 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
It really could be a bit easier it the car could read my mind.
Man, that's the last thing I need.

"Turn here for the chocolate cake that you really want!"

"One mile to satisfy that craving you're having for a Dos Equis."

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2021, 04:40 PM   #44

Quote:
The navigation is really good because it speaks the turns so you do not need to look at the map.

Tomorrow I will be going to a place I am not sure exactly where it is. A store that I do know the general location. I will use my phone Google Maps for navigation. I will use Android Auto to connect it to vehicle screen. I believe that is the best option.

I will google the store and click location. It really could be a bit easier it the car could read my mind.

AI is right around the corner.
I'm not sure reading my mind out loud when my wifes in the car too is a good idea.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 05:12 PM   #45

I google the store then hit 'Directions' on my phone. My 2019 sized screen in the car will display the googles map and I will be on my way

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20211205-180907_Google.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	350679
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 06:19 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
I'm not sure reading my mind out loud when my wifes in the car too is a good idea.
Or reading texts out loud. Got a text from our daughter the other day, I hit listen and she says "I was gonna buy Mom this towel warmer for Christmas, has she bought one already?"

My wife looked over at me with daggers...

No more listening to texts in the truck.
bross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 06:27 PM   #47

Agree - you got to be careful with text messages being read out loud.
Old 12-05-2021, 06:39 PM   #48

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
I know it would be a bad idea. She does well enough on her own...
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 10:58 PM   #49

I have a 12” touch screen and love it . Most things you can do by voice command . I love it as long as it doesn’t break .
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 11:13 PM   #50

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknife View Post
I have a 12” touch screen and love it . Most things you can do by voice command . I love it as long as it doesn’t break .
When when it does fail what functions and controls are you losing?
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 08:25 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarebear.nm View Post
Personally I don't like the big TV screens that are now common. I have the little 4-5" Sync screen in my 2016 F-150 and it has gone black and quit functioning 3 times since I bought the truck new, always while driving and most recently just a few weeks ago.

So far it has come back to life after pulling over, turning the truck off for a few minutes, a quick power off, then back on does not resolve it.

I still have heater controls, but lose radio, phone etc. I can live with this because it's a dated 1st gen "Sync" with minimal functionality. But if I had a big screen that ran climate controls as well, no thanks. I live in Canada where we have winter and it would be bloody dangerous to NOT be able to run your defroster etc.

I just watched a video on the new GMC trucks and the driver sets the "auto pilot" self driving mode, so he can then avert his gaze to look over at the huge screen in the dash to adjust the climate controls.
Old 12-08-2021, 03:03 AM   #52

I am hoping it is just a fad in the auto industry just like cars with fins. One can hope.

The auto driving, to me is a bit scary. But someone that is born today - will they still need to learn to drive?

The 5G network will come into the city to help self driving vehicles. But not sure how soneone driving an old vehicle into the city will muck things up.

Also how outdated will a 10 year old vehicle be? Or worse yet a 20 year old vehicle.

Self driving vehicles will have more trouble in the winter because in a snow storm visibility is not as good. Lines on the road can not be seen. The front grill where radar is positioned could be packed with snow.

It will be interesting for sure.
Old 12-08-2021, 06:06 AM   #53

Quote:
I am hoping it is just a fad in the auto industry just like cars with fins. One can hope.

The auto driving, to me is a bit scary. But someone that is born today - will they still need to learn to drive?

The 5G network will come into the city to help self driving vehicles. But not sure how soneone driving an old vehicle into the city will muck things up.

Also how outdated will a 10 year old vehicle be? Or worse yet a 20 year old vehicle.

Self driving vehicles will have more trouble in the winter because in a snow storm visibility is not as good. Lines on the road can not be seen. The front grill where radar is positioned could be packed with snow.

It will be interesting for sure.
It's already here so we know what to expect. ADAS (advanced driving aid systems) is often disabled in inclement weather. Once a windshield camera, behind-grille mounted radar or other aids get obstrued by snow,slush or even heavy rain the driver gets warned about it and the systems are shut off.

I am sure manufacturers do not want the liability of guesswork on the safety systems' part. Hands-free driving will surely have stricter parameters programmed in.
kdauto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 08:09 AM   #54

I should have kept my mouth shut. I just had another black screen yesterday. So that is the most frequent it has happened. Twice in 2-3 weeks. A little googling though and found the "reset" procedure for Sync, so I performed that and have a screen back. Will see how long it lasts, but at least I'm a little wiser and now know how to "reset" the system if needed.
Old 12-08-2021, 10:36 AM   #55

Quote:

Lol - I thought having a vehicle without a CD player was hard to get used to. Actually I remember having a CD staker player in the truck...who else remembers that?
....are you kidding? I remember having 8 tracks!

On topic; Still mulling ordering a new F350 - they went to a 12" screen and SYNC 4 in order to push you to go with a Lariat or above trim level but I think I'm going to stick with the optional 8" SYNC3 in the XLT...

Dave
Old 12-08-2021, 10:42 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarebear.nm View Post
In our car you lose everything as everything is on the 14 inch screen. So, speedometer, heater etc. A reboot takes about 20 to 30 seconds. It can be done on the fly. Hasn’t happened yet but we did it once just so we knew how. Essentially just hold two buttons on the steering wheel.
radar is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
scr