Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2021, 07:10 PM   #15

So in the Ram you have to take your eyes off the road? If so, that is bad.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2021, 07:52 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
So in the Ram you have to take your eyes off the road? If so, that is bad.
I can't say on the newer RAMs, but I had a customer with a 2013 or so, around the time the touchscreen radios started. His radio display went black. The HVAC (heating ventilation and air conditioning) controls were integrated in the radio touchscreen. In -20 temps, heater controls are a must! He was pissed, cost him 2500$ at the time, he had just bought it used 4 weeks prior.

Seeing that, and other stupidities, I wouldn,t be surprised many critical functions are integrated in the one tablet.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 08:36 PM   #17

Quote:
Just wondering how big the new display screens can get. I am seeing Ford, and Toyota are using 12" and 14" inch display. Now interesting while Ram uses a 12" screen vertically the Ford uses it horizontally. I personally like it a little better horizontally.

My thoughts after owning a 7" or 8" screen in my 2017 truck, how in the heck are you going to be able to keep fingerprints off that 12" screen?
Just wipe it off with a clean rag, ours is 8” and plenty large enough.
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 07:57 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
I can't say on the newer RAMs, but I had a customer with a 2013 or so, around the time the touchscreen radios started. His radio display went black. The HVAC (heating ventilation and air conditioning) controls were integrated in the radio touchscreen. In -20 temps, heater controls are a must! He was pissed, cost him 2500$ at the time, he had just bought it used 4 weeks prior.

Seeing that, and other stupidities, I wouldn,t be surprised many critical functions are integrated in the one tablet.
I guess they learned their lesson. In the newer (20-21 models at least) there are physical temp and fan speed buttons to the left of the touchscreen.
Jayc71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 08:09 AM   #19

14 inch in our car. It takes a little getting used to not having buttons. Menus are pretty logical though and most things on the top level. As well everything is pretty much voice command so really no need to use it for driving functions. I know some newer high end models have 17 inch screens and I think the Mustang mach E is 15.5.
The Ford Lightning is a 12 inch.

radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 08:26 AM   #20

So that is the dash on a Tesla. No speedometer...the is probably on the big screen somewhere. I guess a tach is a moot gauge, no water temp or oil pressure as they are not needed either.

Lol - I thought having a vehicle without a CD player was hard to get used to. Actually I remember having a CD staker player in the truck...who else remembers that?
Old 11-14-2021, 08:34 AM   #21

Quote:
So that is the dash on a Tesla. No speedometer...the is probably on the big screen somewhere. I guess a tach is a moot gauge, no water temp or oil pressure as they are not needed either.

Lol - I thought having a vehicle without a CD player was hard to get used to. Actually I remember having a CD staker player in the truck...who else remembers that?
Yes. The speedometer is on top left corner of screen when in drive.

You can tell the programmers have a sense of haha. If you say, “I’m cold” it turns the heat up 1.5 degrees. If you say “my a$$ is cold” it turns on the seat warmers. And so on and so on. There are some gooders. . “Open butthole” opens the charge port at the rear of the car.
Old 11-14-2021, 08:46 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by radar View Post
14 inch in our car. It takes a little getting used to not having buttons. Menus are pretty logical though and most things on the top level. As well everything is pretty much voice command so really no need to use it for driving functions. I know some newer high end models have 17 inch screens and I think the Mustang mach E is 15.5.
The Ford Lightning is a 12 inch.

I'm sorry but this has to be the worst control system ever invented for a moving vehicle that requires focus, not just Tesla but any of these screens. I have voice command in my F-150, had it in our Edge, and the wife's Avalon (which also had HUD). Count how many steps it takes to just turn up the temp a degree or two, or switch from feet to defrost, and how long it takes, seriously, time it. Now just reach over to the knob and turn it slightly with it's tactile response, ALL without ever taking your eyes OFF the BLOODY ROAD!

Same thing happened when military jets started to become automated, gauges went digital but pilots reaction times went way down. A digital gauge doesn't give you the sense of speed or movement like a sweeping dial does. Why do so many modern tachs mimic a sweeping needle?

There's nothing wrong with tech when it improves the experience, I just have a problem when it's tech for tech's sake.
bross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 08:49 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
I'm sorry but this has to be the worst control system ever invented for a moving vehicle that requires focus, not just Tesla but any of these screens. I have voice command in my F-150, had it in our Edge, and the wife's Avalon (which also had HUD). Count how many steps it takes to just turn up the temp a degree or two, or switch from feet to defrost, and how long it takes, seriously, time it. Now just reach over to the knob and turn it slightly with it's tactile response, ALL without ever taking your eyes OFF the BLOODY ROAD!

Same thing happened when military jets started to become automated, gauges went digital but pilots reaction times went way down. A digital gauge doesn't give you the sense of speed or movement like a sweeping dial does. Why do so many modern tachs mimic a sweeping needle?

There's nothing wrong with tech when it improves the experience, I just have a problem when it's tech for tech's sake.
I don’t know. Voice control doesn’t require your hands to come of the wheel or eyes off the road. Just a simple push on the steering wheel button and say “I’m cold”.

To each his own.
Old 11-14-2021, 08:50 AM   #24

Technology marches on
Your description sounds much better than a few years back when one of the car magazines counted how many touch screen inputs it took to change a radio station or the heat/cool. IIRC on some vehicles 3, 4 or 5 entries!

I stand by my opinion that touch screens are still a cost reduction over mechanical controls but, again, technology marches on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radar View Post
.....You can tell the programmers have a sense of haha. If you say, “I’m cold” it turns the heat up 1.5 degrees. If you say “my a$$ is cold” it turns on the seat warmers. And so on and so on. There are some gooders. .
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 09:30 AM   #25

Technology - we have 4 Alexa's in our house with smart lighbulbs that my wife says good night and the lights turn off.

Oh the 4 Alexa's are synchronized to play either I [emoji173] radio or Sirius XM in 4 rooms of the house. All you do is say 'Play SiriusXM station 8 in all rooms'.

I often ask Alexa if it is going to rain today.

Hands free calling has been around several years. Just say 'Call Kent at home'. Or 'Call Kent on cell'.

Voice recognition 7 years ago was not as good as it is now. It is actually pretty good now. I will use my phone's Google micro phone and ask questions. The voice recognition software is really good now.

One problem with technology that I use - it solves all arguments. Like Kent and I aurguing about Baseball or Football. Google knows sports. We just look up the stat we are arguing about.

I do how ever like having dash instruments right in front of me. Especially the speedometer and tach.
Old 12-04-2021, 09:07 PM   #26

I fear that the larger the screen, the less I would be worrying about finger prints, and the more I would worry about my nose print when I get distracted.......

Seriously though, unless the screen manufacturer says no, my vote is for the Windex wipers (not the spray, just the wipes).
GringoPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 09:45 PM   #27

Personally I don't think that touch screens have any place at all in a moving vehicle. You can't possibly use them without looking at them. It's just as dangerous as texting and driving which I believe is illegal in all 50 state and 10 Canadian provinces. Voice control is useful but frankly the old-fashioned knobs and slides have worked for nearly a century and I prefer them. No, I am not a Luddite, but if it ain't broke don't fix it. As one of the previous posters said, they're now putting some of the manual analog controls back. It doesn't surprise me.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 09:57 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcaguy View Post
Personally I don't think that touch screens have any place at all in a moving vehicle. You can't possibly use them without looking at them. It's just as dangerous as texting and driving which I believe is illegal in all 50 state and 10 Canadian provinces. Voice control is useful but frankly the old-fashioned knobs and slides have worked for nearly a century and I prefer them. No, I am not a Luddite, but if it ain't broke don't fix it. As one of the previous posters said, they're now putting some of the manual analog controls back. It doesn't surprise me.
I don’t know. I would think just that opposite. No need to look or reach for buttons or levers. Simple voice commands. I would think keeping your hands on the wheel and eyes on the road is safer.

Jmho.

Tags
scr