Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2022, 11:37 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Are both sway bars supposed to be attached?

Before you call me a complete idiot. I do know they are both supposed to be attached but knowing and doing aren't always the same thing. Especially if this is your first big trip with a trailer.
So DW and I are in day 3 of our 7-week trip to Alaska from Michigan and spent the night at the Adair City Park (IA) campground. We hook up and when we arrive in North Platte, NE and go to unhook I notice that the left sway bar is hanging below the trailer bracket. I think that somehow the retaining bracket broke off and I've driven some 350 miles with a broken sway bar. I never really notice any handling problems nor it's condition throughout the day.

Until I notice that sitting on top of the tongue frame is the bracket exactly where some idiot (me) left it. I did lose the pin (I did have spares) but 350 highway miles numerous stops, starts and turns and it was still there. Lucky it was there to remind me to check both sides before taking off.

First beginner mistake. Lesson learned

Almost made second one today leaving N. Platte with my surge protector still locked to the power post but neighbor kindly reminded me it was there as I was pulling away.

Can't wait for my next one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	missing sway bar.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	372859  
rmtravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2022, 03:30 AM   #2

Don't beat yourself up over this, everyone had forgotten stuff, most don't admit it. A man once admitted he only hooked up one of the tow bars between his MH and car. He wondered who was trying to pass him on the road out of the CG, then realized it was his car.
I'll not start revealing the things I've done, it would be a very long reply.

P.S. re: leaving the surge protector. I bought a box of slap bands that wrap around the steering wheel to remind me to do things, it comes with a few blank ones to write your own reminders. Forgetting gets expensive.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 07:55 AM   #3

me and the wife have specific tasks that we are individually responsible for when it comes to setting up/breaking down camp.a couple weeks ago i pulled the deck boat out solo to do an oil change and forgot to turn off the engine .doh.
hemifoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 11:19 AM   #4

It's a learning process, checklists can work for you. Before departure I do a walk around and continue to do that again until I find no issues.

Don't forget to look up too.

Was at a fuel stop, a guy pulls in with a TT and his antenna is fully up. Not sure how far he drove that way but he fixed it after I got his attention.
Tachdriver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 11:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I'll not start revealing the things I've done, it would be a very long reply.

Not enough time or electrons on the internet , to complete my list either .
Old 08-05-2022, 02:22 PM   #6

The only time I made a mistake was the time I thought I made one!

Making mistakes are how we learn. It sounds as if nothing went wrong and that is good. Forgive yourself and move on and enjoy. You now have a good one to tell at the next campfire.
TeachTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 02:31 PM   #7

Just to make you feel better about yourself ......we were at a party years ago with a bunch of people. One couple left and returned to the party 30 minutes later BECAUSE THEY FORGOT THEIR KIDS. They got all the way home and noticed then that the kids weren't with them haha
Old 08-05-2022, 04:38 PM   #8

I bought a pack of recipe cards for a dollar and a box to keep them in for another dollar. Each card has something written on it in bold marker letters. Things like. awning out, plugged in, sewer pipes out. water hose, antenna up and the list goes on. When I set up I pull the cards out as I complete a task and put the cards in a clip which lays on the dash of my coach. As I breakdown to move I take the cards one at a time and put them back into the file box when things are taken care of and I'm ready for the next outing.
After leaving a surge protector behind and a Wye on the post I learned to check and recheck. The cards take all the worry out of losing or damaging anything. Where I left the things behind was at a campground only 21 miles from home. A phone call saved the day but a lesson was learned.
Old 08-05-2022, 06:47 PM   #9

I know this guy, my wife’s husband, who pulled out of a rest area onto the interstate with his 5th wheel and had an upstairs slide-out (on the driver’s side) still extended……how careless is that?

Rookie mistake, I suppose, since I only had about 10 years RVing experience at the time.

I ALWAYS do a walk around after a stop; except for when I don’t

If we’re not careful, experience brings confidence; confidence brings complacency; and complacency brings mistakes.

Happy Trails…..Stay cautious!
RVnAggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 05:08 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVnAggie View Post
I know this guy, my wife’s husband, who pulled out of a rest area onto the interstate with his 5th wheel and had an upstairs slide-out (on the driver’s side) still extended……how careless is that?

Rookie mistake, I suppose, since I only had about 10 years RVing experience at the time.

I ALWAYS do a walk around after a stop; except for when I don’t

If we’re not careful, experience brings confidence; confidence brings complacency; and complacency brings mistakes.

Happy Trails…..Stay cautious!
I do have one more Ace in the hole. She has been camping with me since we started camping in 1976. She's always there when I set up and breakdown and watches me and is very capable of checking my actions as I'm working. I do my final walk around and she follows me in my foot steps.
She is the one who packs everything inside preparing for travel but I do the same checking for her. I guess you could call it teamwork.
Just as important as checking everything before you leave a site is checking a site before you drive or back into it. Last year on a Labor Day weekend there was a class C who backed into the site next to us. As he was backing up I heard a loud pop. The driver stopped, got out and looked to find someone had left a stake probably from an awning tie down still in the ground. The outside dual on the C was flat and damaged beyond repair. Luckily the owner had a spare and the means to change it. You just never know.
Old 08-06-2022, 07:45 AM   #11

I backed into one of my brand new garage doors the day it was installed. That same night I parked in front of the other new door and hopped out of my truck with it still in drive. Right thru the other new door.

In one day I destroyed 2 new garage doors and scratched my brand new at the time F350. We have all been there.
Hpozzuoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 07:59 AM   #12

A former trucker once recommended to me that you stop after about 20-30 minutes of traveling and check everything. He figures if something is going to work itself loose, that's enough time but you haven't travelled so far that it's a huge risk if you did forget something before taking off.
Rosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 04:56 PM   #13

I have a box with pins and clips and what not for this very reason. The little funny crowbar they give you to leverage the bars up on the little shelves
was left on my bumper by me once.
125 mi and it was still there when I got home.
I spray painted the handle orange so I would notice it...now ask me about forgetting the plug in my boat while launching...ugh..
varmonter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sway, sway bar