Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2018, 09:54 AM   #1

Are shortbeds worse for hauling fivers?

Hey all,

We're going FT in a 5er this summer—specifically, in a 293SAB Keystone Cougar that clocks in at 33.5' long. We're shopping for trucks right now, and are planning to buy a 2007-or-08 Silverado 2500HD 6.6l diesel. Since that vehicle will also be our runaround, we like the idea of a shortbed (we've got a companion slider hitch that we know will work), but the question has been raised about stability.

With a diesel engine and a rig that long, would you be worried about the wheel ratio/axle length? Obviously, it'll be fine in fair weather, but since we're taking the kids along, we don't want to take chances. I understand a longer bed = more stability, but is the shortbed enough of a problem that we should be nervous and/or rethink this?

I'd love any thoughts you have. Thanks!
wanderville is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2018, 10:13 AM   #2

I towed all 4 of my 5th wheels with 2 short box extended cab 4X4s. Both gassers.
Last 5er was a 10,000 GVWR 30' unit , behind a 2000 , 3/4 ton Dodge with the 8l V-10.
JMHO. Keeping the pin weight of the 5th wheel in the 17>20% range of the trailer total , and being sure that, that amount of weight doesn't overload the rear axle and tires on the truck ; is more important to overall stability than tow vehicle wheelbase.
Old 05-29-2018, 10:22 AM   #3

I saw a lot of short beds towing 5ers as I past them towing with a 8' bed and dually truck.

With a diesel truck and single rear wheel (SRW) you really need to watch how much weight you will be putting on the truck. Most SRW diesel trucks can only carry about 2,200 - 2,700 lbs. By the time you add people, dogs, cats, tools, hitch, and then the 5th wheel you might be overweight.

A couple of things.

1. If you can swing a 2011 or newer that truck will be so much better than before model year 2011. Ford, Ram, Chevy all improved in 2011.

2. Maybe consider a newer Gasoline powered truck as they can carry more weight.

3. A short bed truck will do fine towing a 5th wheel. 8' bed is better but 6.5' bed does ok too.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 10:45 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

The main problem with a truck that has less than an 8' bed is cab to trailer contact when backing into a jackknife. But the B&W Companion slider hitch will fix that problem as long as you DON'T FORGET to slide the hitch before you put the tranny in reverse.

As far as stability, the longer the wheelbase of the tow vehicle, the more stabile the fifth-wheel rig will be. But the difference is not noticeable to most good drivers. I've towed the same 5er with both an 8' bed and 6.5' bed with no noticeable difference in stability. Being anal about proper weight distribution in the trailer, and properly placing the kingpin in front of the rear axle, and not overloading the tow vehicle is a lot more important than the foot or so difference in wheelbase of the tow vehicle.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 06:00 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
There has been volumes written on this forum about this subject which is a very valid concern when towing a 5th wheel.
You have to decide if you can deal with the issue of possible trailer to cab contact and the slightly more difficult issue of parking a long bed truck.
Above is one recommendation for a hitch and this is where you really need to start is deciding which hitch you will use. While doing this research check in to the Andersen Ultimate 5th wheel hitch which is offset to the read adding more space between the cab and front cap of your 5th wheel.
There are no silver bullets or easy answers here, for me I would fall in love with a truck that is fully capable of towing my rig and fits into my budget and get that truck.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:26 PM   #6

I have towed three different 5ER's with two different short bed trucks. One a 2500 Chevy Silverado 6L gas engine and my current tow vehicle a 2500 Ram Mega Cab with the 6.7L Cummins. I have used a 16K Reese slider hitch with all three of my 5ER's with no issues.

I have made some changes to my Ram to improve my towing of my Cedar Creek. They are a deep dish Mag-Hetec transmission oil pan for extra oil capacity, an a Mag-Hytec deep dish rear deferntail cover for extra cooling of the diff. I have also changed my tires to Nitto Dura Grapple Tires LT285/75R/17 these are rated for 3750 LBS at 80 psi. Which provides far greater stability than the factory tires that were on the truck which only supports 3195 LBS at 80 psi.
Old 05-29-2018, 09:21 PM   #7

While there are a few negatives to a short bed truck - I don't think a lack of stability is one of them.

Remember this isn't a ball tow with the trailer hanging on a hitch 5 feet behind the axle. The weight and hitch are straight on top of the rear axle.

However - the already mentioned slider hitch requirement and the not yet mentioned smaller fuel tanks the shortbeds all have are absolutely a thing. Even with a slider I've managed to blow out two rear windows....so that's also a thing. Get a auto slider..

That said - I drive a shortbed. This is my 2nd and with a slider hitch and a Titan tank I see no reason to get a long bed. I like the shortbed for parking and off-road.

The dually guys will be here shortly to tell you all about that side of the convo....
mrgrayaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 06:37 AM   #8

I can't say much about the short bed for turning but I can about the wheelbase.

I recently changed from a long bed crew cab diesel truck to a long bed regular cab gas truck. I did not have any stability issues with the shorter wheelbase, lighter truck compared to the long wheelbase pulling a 5th wheel camper. I pulled the camper about 200 miles through New Hampshire and Vermont. I had to go up and down near 6% grades on I89 as well as one 8% grade on a state highway with 50 MPH speed. I did have some cross winds in open areas and they were not an issue.
Old 05-30-2018, 06:45 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrayaz View Post
Even with a slider I've managed to blow out two rear windows....so that's also a thing.
Yeah, you apparently forgot Rule 1, which I mentioned above: DON'T FORGET to slide the hitch before you put the tranny in reverse! You probably cannot turn sharp enough to have cab to trailer contact when moving forward, but with the tranny in reverse you can back into a jackknife and blow out a rear window before you can say "Oops!".

Quote:
Get a auto slider..
Yeah, if you're forgetful, or lazy, or simply don't want to bother with getting out and sliding the hitch every time before you put the tranny in reverse, then PullRite has the answer called the SuperGlide. It's an automatic slider. Heavy and expensive, but worth it.

If your truck doesn't have bed rails already installed for a different hitch, and doesn't have the fifth-wheel prep package with underbed rails on a newer truck, then you want the traditional series SuperGlide. Traditional Series SuperGlide | Fifth Wheel Hitches by PullRite.

Pullrite also makes the SuperGlide in versions to use industry standard bedrails (ISR) or the puck system in some newer trucks (OEM).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 08:29 AM   #10
IC2

We pulled the same 5er with both a crew cab SB and LB. There are pluses and minuses with each. The big plus for a long bed is the stability. The big negative is that turning radius both in towing as well as 'bob tail'. You may be able to back in a tight campsite with a SB. With a LB ... well let's day that there are more then a few campsites we just could not and in at least 3 instances, had to negotiate a CG refund with the LB. Then there is that Walmart or other parking lot where you just cannot make the turn into a parking space, hence out to the 'back 40' and the long walk.

SB 5er Nose to truck cab interference - some 5ers will others wont. A slider hitch works or a standard B&W with the arms facing back will usually clear most at 90 degrees, others wont.

Huge LB plus - two added feet of storage for 'things'.

Big negative - loss of 'official' load capacity on a LB. May not be a problem for some, but we are over the 10,000 pound F250 'B' pillar sticker by a couple hundred pounds regardless of the fact the truck capacity by actual Ford part numbers is fine at 12,100 pounds. Love those ins. co. and DMV regs - not!

Ride comfort - the LB has it all over the SB

Then, make sure that the '07-'08 trucks you are looking at have everything you need in terms of torque and horsepower, differential ratio and transmission capabiliy. Not all GM, Ford or Dodge/Ram trucks are equal in every year's output.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 05:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
We pulled the same 5er with both a crew cab SB and LB. There are pluses and minuses with each. The big plus for a long bed is the stability. The big negative is that turning radius both in towing as well as 'bob tail'. You may be able to back in a tight campsite with a SB. With a LB ... well let's day that there are more then a few campsites we just could not and in at least 3 instances, had to negotiate a CG refund with the LB. Then there is that Walmart or other parking lot where you just cannot make the turn into a parking space, hence out to the 'back 40' and the long walk.

SB 5er Nose to truck cab interference - some 5ers will others wont. A slider hitch works or a standard B&W with the arms facing back will usually clear most at 90 degrees, others wont.

Huge LB plus - two added feet of storage for 'things'.

Big negative - loss of 'official' load capacity on a LB. May not be a problem for some, but we are over the 10,000 pound F250 'B' pillar sticker by a couple hundred pounds regardless of the fact the truck capacity by actual Ford part numbers is fine at 12,100 pounds. Love those ins. co. and DMV regs - not!

Ride comfort - the LB has it all over the SB

Then, make sure that the '07-'08 trucks you are looking at have everything you need in terms of torque and horsepower, differential ratio and transmission capabiliy. Not all GM, Ford or Dodge/Ram trucks are equal in every year's output.

I enjoy the use of my F350 SRW short bed for towing my 36 ft 5er as well as being my daily driver. I have a Pullrite Superglide auto slider that I have used for 14 years with zero problems. My previous truck was a Dodge Quad Cab SRW short bed. Both trucks are diesels. The shorter turn radius is a big plus for me both in maneuvering the 5er into a camping spot and just parking the truck in a parking lot. Would not think of a short bed without an auto slider though.
Hookin_Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 05:25 PM   #12

There's also the option of a Sidewinder pin box........moves the pivot point back 22" from the hitch...
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 07:52 PM   #13

Quote:
I understand a longer bed = more stability, but is the shortbed enough of a problem that we should be nervous and/or rethink this?

I'd love any thoughts you have. Thanks!
I haven't found that to be true. I made a living using short and long bed trucks pulling heavy GN flatdecks loaded with tall box containers (size permits).
JMO but the long bed thing is from years back when a short bed truck had approx 118"-122" wheelbase and our long beds may have had a 132"-136" wheelbase. Now those made a difference.

One of the worst handling truck I had was a long bed crew cab F350 carrying a 10' 6" truck camper. The trucks front axle was too far to help with the load.

The short bed GM has he longest CA (cab to rear axle) dimension of the HD LDTs. Many owners have found a sliding hitch isn't needed or if they have one its not used especially with the new 5ers rounded/notched front corner profile.

The truck you mention is a very good match for that size trailer.
JIMNLIN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 11:11 AM   #14

I have a 04 Dodge Ram 5.9 2500 4x4 4 door short bed. I use the 35lb. Andersen hitch without a problem! 5th wheel is 30' with GVWR of 12995 and tow it weighed in at 11k My short bed feels very stable at freeway speeds and in the mountains. Trailer is a Mid Profile and almost had it a 90* with room to spare, thought I need to take it 90* for my own piece of mind. I called the Andersen Hitch people and they said I can go to 90*, but will find out for myself! I would do another short bed!
04 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab Laramie, 4X4, 3:73's BFG 285's All Terrain, Putco 4" Boss Bars, Mag Hi-Tec Dbl. Deep Trans Pan and Diff Covers, AFE Cold Air Intake, Rokk Crank Sensor and more junk
45Auto is offline   Reply With Quote