Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2015, 05:22 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
All the above are the reasons I'll never delete. Why spend $2000+ to get what?
A 4.5mpg bump in fuel economy on a 3500 DRW with 4.10.

Would you live with 12.5mpg @ 70 empty, or would you be a little pissed about it?
drittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2015, 07:18 AM   #86

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by drittal View Post

Would you live with 12.5mpg @ 70 empty, or would you be a little pissed about it?

I would be very skeptical of achieving 12.5 with 4.10 gears. This is kind of like believing the guy getting 100 mpg with his gasser with the superior ultra fantastic gizzmo carburetor of years ago...............

This I am reading as towing mpg. Am I incorrect or is this empty mpg?
schrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 09:04 AM   #87

Quote:

Sounds about 1-2mpg below normal for a 4.10 DRW. Probably be pissed and that's the reason I got the 3.73. I do have the SRW. I would take it to the dealer for a flash and see why it's so low. Could be in regen too often. I've seen my mpg drop while running 70 mph but it's only for a short time.
You know you can do a SIMS/DPF delete that will stop the regens, but will throw a code. If you get a code reader you can delete the codes. Less invasive than a tuner.
I read the Diesel Cummins forum every week and a lot of problems are from glitches with tuners.
Another thing is mpg numbers are all over the place with guys that run deleted. Some say they get 2-4 mpg higher and some say they didn't get any increase.
I would suggest you go over there and ask what mpg's guys are getting with a 4.10 DRW running 70 mph. I bet you'll find that you're not that far off. Your mpgs are low but no way you'll get 16-17mpg with a DRW 4.10 if 3.73 SRWs are getting 16-17 running 70 mph.

Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 01:38 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrod View Post
I would be very skeptical of achieving 12.5 with 4.10 gears. This is kind of like believing the guy getting 100 mpg with his gasser with the superior ultra fantastic gizzmo carburetor of years ago...............

This I am reading as towing mpg. Am I incorrect or is this empty mpg?
Empty. 12.5 at 70. Unacceptable. Flashes didn't help.

Delete took it to 17. Gets 14 towing a 6x12 enclosed utility trailer now. 9-10 at 60 with 34' bumper pull TH.

Would that kind of bump on the first gen 6.7 be worth it to you?
Old 11-18-2015, 02:53 PM   #89

I have heard a lot of inflated numbers when doing deletes. Most reports the computer gives false readings on MPG. Most hand calc comparisons are in the 1mpg to 2mpg range, maybe.

Never will pay for all the components to accomplish this small increase. Big problem is if doing these deletes while under warranty it will be void.

Best bet is get a 7yr 100K complete warranty and trade for a newer model before the warranty expires.
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 03:32 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
I have heard a lot of inflated numbers when doing deletes. Most reports the computer gives false readings on MPG. Most hand calc comparisons are in the 1mpg to 2mpg range, maybe.

Never will pay for all the components to accomplish this small increase. Big problem is if doing these deletes while under warranty it will be void.

Best bet is get a 7yr 100K complete warranty and trade for a newer model before the warranty expires.
What do you get at 70?
Old 11-18-2015, 07:17 PM   #91

Quote:
What do you get at 70?
We have same truck so I will chime in

I get 17-18 unloaded, flat ground, have seen 19 with no stopping. Hand calculated
I get 8-10 towing, it regens alot
55-60mph towing I get 12

Been running back and forth the past few weeks to the farm for deer hunting and calculated 19.5 last fill up running 60, with some stop and go but mostly running.
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 07:18 PM   #92

Again the 07.5 to 13 yr models prior to def and other changes the fuel milage suffered horribly
Old 11-18-2015, 07:39 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Card View Post
Again the 07.5 to 13 yr models prior to def and other changes the fuel milage suffered horribly
This I know. The cummins with DEF gets about what a deleted pre-DEF gets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Card View Post
We have same truck so I will chime in

I get 17-18 unloaded, flat ground, have seen 19 with no stopping. Hand calculated
I get 8-10 towing, it regens alot
55-60mph towing I get 12

Been running back and forth the past few weeks to the farm for deer hunting and calculated 19.5 last fill up running 60, with some stop and go but mostly running.
Same truck, 3 yrs apart. One uses DEF and gets 17. The other did not and got 12.5. Unacceptable.
Old 11-19-2015, 05:24 AM   #94

Quote:
This I know. The cummins with DEF gets about what a deleted pre-DEF gets.

Same truck, 3 yrs apart. One uses DEF and gets 17. The other did not and got 12.5. Unacceptable.
I was saying I had the same truck as cummins12v98...you asked him what mpg he saw @70.
Old 11-19-2015, 11:17 AM   #95

Quote:
What do you get at 70?
Going by the computers instant average on flat ground at 60 it's 18 and at 70 it's 16. The reality is when I hand calc I am .04 less than what the truck says per fill. So I would say if I took a freeway trip for 200 miles and filled up reality would be 17 at 60 and 15 at 70. Those would be in perfect conditions. Solo the truck weighs 10K.

A mixed 60/70 freeway mph and local driving I get 13.5-14 hand calc.

Towing with a head wind 7.6 and flat ground no wind 9.75 these are hand calc towing a combined 32,500#.

Hand calc average towing from Western WA to SoCal along I-5 I had a lot of stop and go thru 1/2 of WA and head winds thru Oregon. the rest of the trip was no wind. Hand calc 8.6 at 60mph trip average. Without the stop and go and head winds I would have been closer to 9mpg average.

Bottom line I did not buy the truck for mileage I bought it do do a job and it does it VERY well!
Old 11-19-2015, 11:32 AM   #96

Nothing wrong with that mileage. There are alot of pulls thru Wa and Or. Those folks that pull that wt going thru mountains and say the get 12 are smoking somthing.
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 12:53 PM   #97

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknife View Post
Nothing wrong with that mileage. There are alot of pulls thru Wa and Or. Those folks that pull that wt going thru mountains and say the get 12 are smoking somthing.
Most mileage claims can be compared to a fisherman describing his catch.

A true measure of MPG should be done over multiple fuel tanks and much driving. One summer working in Yellowstone, I drove a full tank of fuel in the park, never going over 45 mph in my TDI Beetle. My mileage was 53 mpg. That was an extreme outlier from my typical tanks. A long term average was closer to 42 mpg.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 01:29 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknife View Post
I completely agree!!! Fill the tank to the top at EVERY fill and hand calc!!!

I would love to pull with someone some time that makes these claims from fill to fill and see what each rig used in fuel. That would tell the story.