Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2021, 10:42 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4ord View Post
I'm talking about the factory exhaust brakes used on the diesel pickups (and yes the factory exhaust braking is controlled by the VGT) None of the pickup trucks use a "Jake" brake. If you have a 5.9 Cummins and want more engine braking then what the factory exhaust brake offers you can get an aftermarket "LoadLeash" from Pac Brake. The LoadLeash is still not a compression release brake such as is a Jake, but it offers considerable more braking than the factory exhaust brake does.
Will I reread your post where you state that none of the pick-up trucks use a "JAKE" brake. Will this statement is slightly incorrect.

First the Cummins 5.9L engine in the Dodge pick-up truck was never offered with a factory exhaust braking system nor a VGT turbo. You could install a "Jake" brake aftermarket any many users did.

The 6.7L engine is the only engine that uses a VGT turbo and the ability of exhaust braking via the turbo. This was a single stage system from 2007.5MY until 2013.5MY.

With the introduction of the redesigned 6.7L Cummins engine with the introduction of the SCR technology and a new enhanced VGT turbo charger that controls the exhaust braking to maintain a set speed down a grade. This also offers another stage that provides similar braking as the original VGT did.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2021, 10:53 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Pro tip
Don't use the EB in the snow or icy conditions.
Or no wet roads. Leaf covered roads could be bad as well.
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 11:34 AM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Pro tip
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyone View Post
Depending on the level of risk you are willing to accept, I understand that using the slides as wind brakes may be a suitable alternative to the EB in such conditions?

But yeah, on a more serious note, I never thought of turning off EB in slick driving conditions while towing. Good to know!
Old 12-14-2021, 01:21 PM   #18

I wasn't towing when I found out. Not sure if towing would affect it as much depending on the weight over the axle.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 02:10 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
Will I reread your post where you state that none of the pick-up trucks use a "JAKE" brake. Will this statement is slightly incorrect.

First the Cummins 5.9L engine in the Dodge pick-up truck was never offered with a factory exhaust braking system nor a VGT turbo. You could install a "Jake" brake aftermarket any many users did.

The 6.7L engine is the only engine that uses a VGT turbo and the ability of exhaust braking via the turbo. This was a single stage system from 2007.5MY until 2013.5MY.

With the introduction of the redesigned 6.7L Cummins engine with the introduction of the SCR technology and a new enhanced VGT turbo charger that controls the exhaust braking to maintain a set speed down a grade. This also offers another stage that provides similar braking as the original VGT did.
I'm not sure what you're getting at? .... When people compare what they call a "Jake" brake to an exhaust brake the "Jake" they are referring to is not a butterfly valve in the exhaust pipe. The "Jake" you're talking about is a butterfly valve.
4x4ord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 06:58 AM   #20

Quote:
Pro tip
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyone View Post

Well in the PNW if you didn't use it in the rain you would never use it!

Yes, in the rain, in higher gears they are not that aggressive.

I have also used in the snow towing, truck was in 4X4 and once again tall gear, towing a 5er. You just need to be vigilant that your trailer is pushing you sideways.
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 09:17 PM   #21

I wonder what this guy did wrong?

https://youtu.be/LCYeV9RjyPI
4x4ord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 09:58 PM   #22

Having spent my early career in class 8 trucks, was very happy with Rams EB. Moved into a 19 Gm and ya they could do a better job with EB control. 1. I want EB control with the throttle pedal not the brake. 2. Give me a EB dash switch that stays on. 3. It's not very strong till the engine spools up, guess I'm not used to hearing a diesel run at 3-4k rpm.

Anyway, nice write-up.
Brentw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 08:26 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4ord View Post
I wonder what this guy did wrong?

https://youtu.be/LCYeV9RjyPI
Traveling WAY too fast for conditions.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 08:36 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
Both of my Rams had 2 settings. Auto was great, the other was too aggressive. I wrote to GMC and told them to go buy a Ram so they would know how one could and should work.
I'd bet lots of money that GM knows exactly how a Ram works in detail. The auto companies go buy competitors' products and dissect them down to the nuts and bolts. I believe the call it the benchmarking department.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 08:46 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Traveling WAY too fast for conditions.

Yes and likely an exhaust brake or a simple down shift is all it took for the rear wheels to start losing traction. Even if he pushes the throttle a bit the rear wheels with all the weight of the trailer pushing them are unlikely to regain traction. If he has 4x4 and engaged it may have come back with throttle but still not likely.
rssnape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 06:16 AM   #26

My '03 Dodge/Cummins 5.9 HO NV5600 tranny came with the Jacobs exhaust paid by Dodge and came thru Dodge bussiness link dealers with a Dodge factory warranty.
The exhaust brakes for the 5.9 doesn't have the braking performance as the new VGT can create, but I'm happy with it.

The Jacobs from Dodge for the manual tranny comes with a top mounted shifter with a pull/push switch (up/down).

I'm all rural out here with very little city type driving so the EB switch is pulled on 90 percent of the time. Let of the go pedal has a two second delay before EB comes on.
Love the manual tranny with the EB which works in all gears...any speed even reverse.
The hi idle feature/EB on makes warm air a mile from home on a cold single digit morning.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 06:26 AM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
For my truck which is a 2008 Dodge Mega Cab with the 6.7L Cummins, the exhaust brake is never turned off. It is on 99% of the time upon start-up. Engine is started than exhaust brake is turned on then I am good to go.

The only time T/H is engaged is when I need it when hauling something or towing my 5er.
Same here with my 2015 Ram 6.7. It annoys me to no end that there is not setting to just leave it on auto 100% of the time. What's even dumber (in my opinion) is that if you have the EB on and Tow/Haul mode on while pulling a trailer it remembers that EB was supposed to be on but not T/H! WTH!?!

On another note: driving narrow, winding mountain roads in NC with EB and T/H enabled (not towing) these trucks handle amazingly well. Take the turns easily with no body roll, and barely have to touch the brakes at all.
Old 01-06-2022, 09:45 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjack View Post
Same here with my 2015 Ram 6.7. It annoys me to no end that there is not setting to just leave it on auto 100% of the time. What's even dumber (in my opinion) is that if you have the EB on and Tow/Haul mode on while pulling a trailer it remembers that EB was supposed to be on but not T/H! WTH!?!

On another note: driving narrow, winding mountain roads in NC with EB and T/H enabled (not towing) these trucks handle amazingly well. Take the turns easily with no body roll, and barely have to touch the brakes at all.
The reason for the Exhaust brake function not allowing this to be on 100% of the time because someone will forget to shut this off on an icy or wet road. This was designed this way with the exhaust brake function being off at start-up. This is to prevent a bottom feeder from suing Dodge/Ram in a class action suit for being libel if an accident was to occur.

Tags
brake, exhaust