Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2013, 04:55 AM   #1

B&W hitch

Can anyone tell me how the B&W companion fifth wheel hitch handles. Do you have any feeling of the fiver jerking back and forth? Would you get another one? Thanks, Don
wingman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2013, 06:47 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
I've been towing with the B&W Companion 5th wheel hitch since 2001 - the same hitch, in fact. There's no more surging or chucking than with any other solid-mount (i.e., non air bag) 5th wheel hitch, but since we use a Demco GlideRide pinbox on our 5th wheel, surging or chucking are not a problem for us.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:19 AM   #3

We purchased one last year for our new 1st fith wheel since i already had the B&W ball. I haven't used other brands so i cant compare but I do like mine for the ease of use.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:55 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman8 View Post
Can anyone tell me how the B&W companion fifth wheel hitch handles. Do you have any feeling of the fiver jerking back and forth?
We've had the B&W Campanion since 2007 and the answer to your question is "no."

Quote:
Would you get another one?
Yes.

The one thing I like about it, compared to other fifth wheel hitches we've had, is that the truck and fifth wheel don't have to be perfectly in line or level in order to unhitch! There is no handle to "pull." You simply pull the pin and use the lever to open the jaws. Simple, quick, and easy.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:34 PM   #5

I have not used a b&w hitch personally myself, but my brother has one and really likes it. My only complaint would be is the top of the bed rails on his chevy are wavy now he has used the companion. That may only be specific to chevys as i have never noticed other brands to do that. He solved the problem by putting stainless steel bedcaps to cover the top rails. I do however use a b& w gooseneck hitch in my ram and have for years and love them. Good quality USA product.
Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:39 PM   #6

I bought a used one when I got the Suites in early '07. It worked really well, but was getting grungy-looking and the shock was leaking. Replaced the shock and put it on Craigslist for $425. Sold it in less than 2 days for $400--it was an early model, as the factory was surprised when I gave them the SN for the shock. Then bought a new one and it is working well, also. I am towing at near/over the rated 18k, so am real happy at how it works. It is simple and quality-made, and easy to remove.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:23 PM   #7

KZ RV Club
I know the thread is about 2 weeks old, but on another forum that I frequent I was asked how I liked it and how it was setup. I generally do a lot of DIY's when it comes to vehicles, so I figured I'd just do one for the Companion as well. We're at Wheeler State Park right now, so everything is in the truck anyways, so it took all of 5 mins.

This install does not include the installation of the Turnover Ball GN Hitch, which for obvious reasons, must be installed prior to doing the Companion.

The only tools needed are a 1/2" drive torque wrench, a 1/2" drive ratchet, a 3/4" socket and box wrench, a 15/16" deep socket, and some grease of your choice.

First, here is what the finished product looks like. When it arrives, the 2 major subcomponents will already be assembled and will be in 2 separate boxes....

Now for the actual installation.....

And, you're done....

Cumminalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:18 AM   #8

I've had 2 B&W Turnover Ball hitches. One in my Chevy, One in my Ford. I've used the same Companion hitch in both for both 5th wheels. Absolutely love the hitch! Very easy to use. Makes all of my camping buddies jealous. I love that it is made right here in the USA and B&W has customer service that is second to none!
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:28 PM   #9

B &w hitch

Quote:
Can anyone tell me how the B&W companion fifth wheel hitch handles. Do you have any feeling of the fiver jerking back and forth? Would you get another one? Thanks, Don
Just wanted to thank all for the response. I purchased a complete B & W ball and companion set up for $1128 from SD Truck springs, free shipping too. I couldn't find a better price. I guess I did okay. The people at SD were very easy to deal with.

Will be towing home in another month, will let you know what happens. thanks again, Don
Old 06-11-2013, 05:26 AM   #10

Quote:
Just wanted to thank all for the response. I purchased a complete B & W ball and companion set up for $1128 from SD Truck springs, free shipping too. I couldn't find a better price. I guess I did okay. The people at SD were very easy to deal with.

Will be towing home in another month, will let you know what happens. thanks again, Don
I have pulled the 5er almost 3,000miles with the B&W companion hitch and it has been great. I would recommend it for anyone. Thanks again
Old 06-12-2013, 05:49 AM   #11

Quote:
I have pulled the 5er almost 3,000miles with the B&W companion hitch and it has been great. I would recommend it for anyone. Thanks again
You are more than welcome! Always happy to endorse things I truly believe in, especially when they are made right here in the USA.
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:57 PM   #12

Also have B & W best hitch on the market running sigh 3500 SRW
Barefoot68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:22 AM   #13

Another point on B & W hitch, look at jaw on most hitches about 1/2 to 3/4 thick. Jaws on B & W are a full inch thick and locking pin is right there no question if you have solid connection. Watch video on line shows its strength.
Barefoot68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:40 AM   #14

Just went to the companion in my new truck. Had the curt 16k slide in my old short box. The b&w is a solid hitch. A lot less moving parts comparied to the old hitch.