Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2022, 10:06 AM   #1

B&W hitch

I am having trouble with my B&W Companion fifth wheel hitch. I brought the hitch in February when I brought the truck, the dealership had the hitch installed. The handle has got really hard to open and close. It now takes both hands to work the handle. I called B&W and they sent me pictures and instructions on how to take the hitch head apart. I looked at the instructions and itís above my pay grade. I called 8 dealers and was told by all that they had never taken a hitch head apart. Most told me to buy another head, this hitch is still under warranty. I have greased the zerk fitting, my son who is a truck driver said the clean all the grease out which I did and it wasnít any help. I pumped more grease into the hitch using my air compressor. Still no help. Iím taking the hitch back to the person that installed the hitch tomorrow but he has never taken a hitch head apart. This is my 3rd B&W hitch. I installed one on my 2012 but I traded that truck for another Silverado 2020 but that truck came with a puck system. Unfortunately that truck couldnít pass a dealership without going in. I traded for a 2021 GMC and the dealership installed the B&W. Any help would be appreciated
spock12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2022, 11:14 AM   #2

Handle rotates to open jaws via cam action
Stiff handle movement......jaws are binding
*no jerk to grease the pins that hold jaws in the head (jerk just greases the saddle pivot points so head can tilt side to side
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 11:57 AM   #3

I would expect B&W's dealer to look after it if it's new but it looks to be very simple to take apart the B&W head. Simply pull out the large bolt and after removing the snap rings you can pull the pins. I guess there is a couple springs that you need to make sure you hook back up properly. About the only thing that could possibly be wrong is that the pins that hold the latch mechanism into the head are gummed up.
4x4ord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 12:27 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I also have a B&W 5th hitch and love it.

There are not many places for the locking arm and cams to bind. I would suspect some dirt/sand/grime got into something. Also possible something is bent. Never had this issue.

Try using some brake cleaner on all exposed lever and jaw areas. Not on the main horizontal shaft. Then follow that with compressed air at max PSI for your compressor. Then cover all these parts with spray silicone lub. Might try sliding some thin metal or similar into the various gaps of these parts to see if that knocks anything loose.

Good luck. Otherwise I'd return it to the seller.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 12:56 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Are you having trouble with the head / jaws by themselves, or trying to hitch / unhitch your trailer? If your pin is in a bind, the jaws will not release. I found that out the hard way, as the area where I store my 5th wheel is not level. As long as I make sure the pin isn't bound in the jaws, I haven't had any more issues. As others have said, it's a great hitch. I'm surprised your having issues on a newer hitch. Best of luck figuring it out.
GPCPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 01:34 PM   #6

I took the hitch back to the shop that did the install and they fixed it. 3 bolts in the middle and one was froze up. He said I wonder why B&W didnít put anti-seize on the bolts. I think B&W paid for the work. Handle works great now. Iím happy now with the hitch.
spock12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 03:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock12 View Post
I took the hitch back to the shop that did the install and they fixed it. 3 bolts in the middle and one was froze up. He said I wonder why B&W didnít put anti-seize on the bolts. I think B&W paid for the work. Handle works great now. Iím happy now with the hitch.
They might have told you bolts but I'm quite sure they meant one of the three pins. Anyway I'm glad they looked after you and you definitely did the right thing by bringing it to the dealer.
4x4ord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 05:46 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spock12 View Post
Glad you got the problem figured out and thanks for reporting back.
GPCPL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch