Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2019, 11:21 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadEyePie View Post
I don't plan on going to the bank with my RV.
Good idea! :-))))

Almost as bad, we nearly drove through a McDonalds overhead barrier (pole?) once in the dark and had to back about 35 or 40 feet with the toad on. It was late at night and they were closed, so no traffic, but still embarrassing.

With so many things to watch it's easy to forget one of them, especially overhead.

Steve

1996 Dodge Cummins 2500 with 1996 Lance 945 camper
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2019, 11:39 PM   #30
GKW

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
I've been backing trailers for a LOT of years now, and early on a guy told me something that I remember to this day.

Imagine the bottom of the steering wheel of the truck ( 6 o'clock ). Now imagine that there is an arrow pointing left and an arrow pointing right from that 6 o'clock position. As you are starting to back in to a spot and you see that the back of the trailer needs to go left, turn the steering wheel in the direction of the left arrow at the bottom of the steering wheel. It is basically telling you to turn the wheel so that the arrow is travelling forward. I've been doing it so long that it's just instinct for me, so I really don't think about the arrows anymore, but it is a good (in my opinion) way to learn how to do it and it will eventually become reflex/instinct to you also. Good luck and congrats on the new rig.

Your method of using the bottom or six o clock position of the steering wheel as a guide is good advice. Watch the rear of the trailer in your mirror and turn the wheel from the bottom in the direction you want the rear of the trailer to go. How much you have to turn it will vary with your trailer. Always go slow at first and just turn slightly and don’t oversteer. It is always wise to have a spotter with a two way radio watching for you.
GKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 11:47 PM   #31

New Horizons Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandrhill View Post
There is lots of advice here already to help you build your confidence. I'll offer something a little different. Having driven the WV turnpike between Charleston and Beckley many times,. I strongly recommend that you stick to the far right lanes at the toll booths. They are slightly wider than the other lanes. Also no barricade on the right that would be hard to see. Finally, no opportunity for a faster vehicle to try and pass on the right.

Finally, treat your self to a break at Tamarack when you get to Beckley.
X2 I totally agree!
CDWatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 12:09 AM   #32

Foretravel Owners Club
When Backing a trailer (TT or 5'r). hand at the bottom of the steering wheel ..which ever way you turn the steering wheel, that is the way the trailer will go.
Turn the wheel however far You "think" you need to ... then the turn it back the other way half as much..You will tend to over steer so the less you turn the wheel..... The less you have to turn it back to correct..
IMPORTANT!!!!!

One thing that I don't believe has been mentioned. On most if not all pickups .. the right outside mirror is a convex mirror (should have a sticker that says the objects are closer than they appear) OR it may have 2 mirrors one flat and one convex..IF you are lucky..
IF NOT..

Go to an auto glass outfit or possibly the truck dealer and replace the convex mirror with a flat glass mirror (like the mirror on the drivers side)....

THEN ADJUST your Mirrors so that you can just see straight down the side of your trailer.. to where you can see the lanes next to you and be able to see the center pavement stripe & fog line far behind you..so You can tell if someone is fix'n to pass you or you have clearance to return to the right hand lane after passing a slower rig..

The Goal is When you start to turn say left.. then the whole side of your trailer will appear in the mirror. when you turn back then when the side of the trailer disappears you know you are straight again.
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 02:44 AM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
find a big, empty parking lot and.... practice, practice, practice. A trick my dad taught me is to put your hand on the BOTTOM of the steering wheel when backing a trailer up using mirrors.
DaveLarkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 03:35 AM   #34

When I back, my wife usually gets out and watches and give input via the cellphone...….our biggest argument, left or right, my left, her left, left if I am looking in the mirror, left if I am turned around...…..we settled on drivers side and passenger side......the is no confusing bring the back to the drivers side.

I have experience backing a boat trailer and smaller bumper hitch trailers.....much different then my 21 foot dually and 44 foot toyhauler…..we practiced in an empty high school parking lot.
2PawsRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 04:29 AM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theunz View Post
Brentw, your picture is a classic example of what happens when you stop paying attention and forget you are towing. There is no way that driver thought his trailer would clear that pickup. He simply filled up and pulled out like he normally does when not towing! Thanks for posting it!

I agree totally.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:49 AM   #36

All that saddlesore says, and I've always liked mirrors that are a combination of a regular mirror lens and a convex in the same unit. Used together they provide more information than either one alone. I have a cousin who was a long haul trucker for years and he liked the same mirror adjustment as saddlesore, but I would rather see a little bit of the trailer when straight. You'll figure out what your preferences are pretty quickly, I think.

Steve

1996 Dodge Cummins 2500 with 1996 Lance 945 camper
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 01:16 PM   #37

Two tips:

1) Start practicing backing into parking spaces (and your garage) now. Just getting used to backing as much as possible and having to think about where you're positioning things is good training. My wife has become better with our TT ever since I convinced her to back her vehicle more than what folks typically do.

2) Go somewhere with your DW and the radios and practice having her guide you backing your truck into a spot. Again, that will build confidence and teamwork before you have the full rig together. We love using our radios, even a bad day is not as entertaining to fellow campers than shouting and waving.

Best regards,
Chris
BubbaChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 06:29 PM   #38

Tiffin Owners Club
I have a 16 ft utility trailer. I drove it today to pick up materials for a bathroom remodeling that's under way. It is good practice backing it just to get my mind adjusted to thinking backwards. It all felt very smooth today. My Denali has dual mirrors on each side. Bottom part is great for blind spots and seeing the tires even. I also have cameras in each side mirror. Used them all today. Works great. I have total visibility of the road around me. Just need to get the third camera installed on the rear of the RV when I pick it up in March.

My neighbor has a carnival ride business (summer time) and has multiple duallys and lives in his Vilano while on the road. He told me, "I think you're gonna really like your Vanleigh Beacon, but you're gonna love that truck". So far he is so right.
Old 01-31-2019, 02:53 PM   #39

What 5th wheel approaching back window

A lot of good tips here. I learned the hard (and expensive) way about making too sharp of a turn backing up. Always keep an eye on your front of your 5W as it nears your back window of your pickup. As you turn, the corner of the 5W will approach your back glass window, so you must be sure it doesn't hit (and ultimately smash) your back glass.

Been there, done that.

Gene & Jeanette
2 5Ws and now on 2nd Motor coach
gjbales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 03:01 PM   #40

First thing that comes to mind is how did that person drive the trailer almost over ….

then I got to thinking I drive a manual, when I pull out of some place I'm limited in my speed, I put it in gear and pull out look in the mirror then front then mirror start turn mirror front mirror watch the clearing once the tires are past your golden then I start to shift and get going... No need to zoom around.

Recon what I'm saying is slow down, lots of looking.. ask others in the cab to look as well, and let them know if you think there's going to be an issue speak up, like STOP or CAR...

I recall years ago driving a semi with 53 foot trailer, going the wrong direction in the industrial part of Seattle finialy found a lot to turn around in, I was grumpy, tired of dealing with traffic and going literally the wrong way Think like an hr of hell to find lights and a location to get going the other direction, enter into the parking lot " I got this, NP I will clear that Power pole... but I was taught to always check again .. I stopped before I hit by about 2 feet but it would have literally been at the half way point in the trailer and a epic bad day. When I looked again it was after I said I got this... then I said no don't have this... easy fix because I looked.

So … in town, around cars, parking lots, camp sites ETC... just go slow, look and then look again verify especially if your going around objects. GET out and look if you need to, So what if someone is honking. 30 seconds to miss something or 3 hrs waiting for a tow.

Also Gas stations... are ripe full of horrible things... give your self space take up both lanes if you need to... and look at the exit strategy first not the entrance. Can I get out … YES can I get in .. Awesome... otherwise its … cool GAS .. AH @#$% who put that planter box there, WTF where they @#$@#$

Also reserve pull through spots and learn your rig before you try and do smaller spots, that a bunch of trailer.
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 03:02 PM   #41

Tiffin Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Simply put....

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
I've been backing trailers for a LOT of years now, and early on a guy told me something that I remember to this day.

Imagine the bottom of the steering wheel of the truck ( 6 o'clock ). Now imagine that there is an arrow pointing left and an arrow pointing right from that 6 o'clock position. As you are starting to back in to a spot and you see that the back of the trailer needs to go left, turn the steering wheel in the direction of the left arrow at the bottom of the steering wheel. It is basically telling you to turn the wheel so that the arrow is travelling forward. I've been doing it so long that it's just instinct for me, so I really don't think about the arrows anymore, but it is a good (in my opinion) way to learn how to do it and it will eventually become reflex/instinct to you also. Good luck and congrats on the new rig.
Position your right hand at the bottom center of the steering wheel. Move your hand (and steering wheel) in the direction you want the trailer to go.
Old 01-31-2019, 03:10 PM   #42

Resources

There is a fantastic video on YouTube where a guy set up essentially a truck driving course and puts A trailer thru the paces. He explained very well about turning and backing. He sets up cones and shows backing in at 45 and 90 degree angles. He even covers parallel parking. It’s not specific to a 5th wheel but the fundamentals are the same. I feel like I’m really good at bumper trailers, and comfortable, but graduating to the fiver was nerve wracking. This video was great to reinforce the skills I felt I had plus gave me confidence to apply to the 5th wheel.

Stlpilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hwh