Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2019, 03:41 PM   #43

Good luck

Fretz is right! The smaller the trailer behind you the harder it is to maneuver. I had a trailer before and the 5th wheel was so much easier to tow and back up. My advice is to take your time and look everywhere. If you are not sure when backing up get out and look. Once you get the hang of things you'll have a blast.
levosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2019, 03:45 PM   #44

Freightliner Owners Club
Been there done that

I am currently going through my learning curve now. I just went from a 40’ DP to a 37’ 5th wheel. I watched numerous videos on YouTube, but nothing beats practice. After 5 trips I’m getting more and more comfortable. Best tip I can give is have someone on a phone guiding you in. Just set your phone on your lap on speaker and take your time. But watching videos will definitely give you confidence and at least an idea on what you are supposed to do.
Good Luck and safe travels 👍
tipaulfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 04:03 PM   #45

The most important lesson I learned from 5th wheel ownership was to make sure the hitch or ball for gooseneck is centered above the axle pivot point. Mine wasn't, resulting in a poor driving experience to say the least. I bought the truck with a goose neck ball already in the bed and didn't realize how important the correct positioning was. I should have had a proper 5th wheel hitch installed professionally instead of using a conversion.
Old 01-31-2019, 04:18 PM   #46

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredV View Post
The most important lesson I learned from 5th wheel ownership was to make sure the hitch or ball for gooseneck is centered above the axle pivot point. Mine wasn't, resulting in a poor driving experience to say the least. I bought the truck with a goose neck ball already in the bed and didn't realize how important the correct positioning was. I should have had a proper 5th wheel hitch installed professionally instead of using a conversion.
My 2018 GMC has the puck system. All built in by GM. So i'm guessing they got it in the right place.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:00 PM   #47

We purchased our Travel Trailer last April and I was worried about all the same things. Luckily the church we attend has a large parking lot and they let us practice backing up and turning around in a tight space. Having practiced a lot saved us some "heated words" a time or two.
revbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 05:11 PM   #48

You will do great!!! Congrats, take it SLOW, and Practice til you get the feel!!!

Enjoy friend and have safe, happy, AND HEALTHY TRAVELS!!!

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 05:33 PM   #49

Tip for backing up: If you're and looking in your RH mirror to get into a spot on your right, turn steering wheel left. If you're 'blind backing' into a spot to your right and looking in the RH mirror, turn wheel to left.
StageCoachDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 05:35 PM   #50

dealers seem to be poor at helping in this area I had the same insecurity when I picked up my 5th wheel. I'm a retired airline mechanic with a lot of time moving and backing up large a/c (747 etc) but still take your time and it does not hurt to stop and get out to look. You spent to much money to damage your new camper. Good luck and take your time.
birddog23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 05:52 PM   #51

Backing FW

I, too, was poor at backing a FW until I watched a number of videos on YouTube about backing up tractor trailers. Main lesson was keeping truck as close to straight with the trailer as possible. It's best to back in with the driver side to the inside of the "curve," so you're not backing up "blind." Otherwise, practice, practice, practice!
DonHoy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 05:54 PM   #52

Great advice on this thread. As others have said, just take your time, swing wide, and when backing, get out and look as many times as you need to. It will get easier with practice.

When we changed from bumper pull to fifth wheel, I practiced in an empty school parking lot until I got used to the turning radius, etc. Fifth wheels track more to the inside than bumper pulls so being especially careful on right hand turns is important.

Fifth wheels do a nice job when towing on the highway so that will not be an issue. The practice will be for turns on other streets (non highway) and backing.

Good luck!
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 06:03 PM   #53

Backing a fifth wheel

I never drove a bus before last year but before I picked up my D.P. I looked on YouTube. I found RV Geeks and the guy was a former bus company trainer and showed detailed instructions on driving a DP. Look to see if there is a video on Fifth Wheels that really gives verbal and visual instructions
Mitimet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 06:06 PM   #54

easiest way

For those with little backing experience I think the easiest way is to let your wife do it. You think I jest. When it's really tight I have my wife drive and I walk next to the rig on the drivers side and quietly tell her which way to turn the wheel while she slowly backs. Key is going slow and pulling as far forward as reasonable to straighten out the rig if that's possible. And yes, I often say turn the wheel the other way just to keep it simple. So I often don't pay all that much attention to how she starts turning but if the back of the rig is going in the wrong direction I say turn the wheel the other way and it's actually pretty simple after that (instead of remembering left and right backwards). If you have to do it yourself then there is lot's of good advice on this site. But easier if you work as a team.
C2CO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 07:15 PM   #55

Other than following the suggestion of going to a large parking lot to practice, just don't forget about the front of the truck. In a fair number of state parks you will find numerous things you can hit such as trees right at the edge of pavement. Remember it isn't the end of the world just take your time and stay alert and if things go to hell stop and retry. One more thing, make sure you look up for low hanging trees since fifth wheels are tall.
Walt Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 07:31 PM   #56

Mid Atlantic Campers
Backing Up

To xrated: Thank you so much for that awesome explanation about the arrows pointing left and right by the six position. Just fantastic.
We picked up our 30 foot fifth from Oregon and had to drive it back to Maryland. Neither one of us had towing experience. Before we drove back, we took a jaunt to California and Nevada to camp with sister and brother-in-law. We had no idea what we were doing with the brake controller and drove down some very steep, curvy narrow roads riding the truck brakes like crazy. I thought we were going to die. Trial by fire. Had to get brakes fixed. Brake guy educated us. But that’s not all! We pulled into Mammoth Lake where my sister and family were waiting for us and my nephew walks over and PULLS OUT OUR MIRRORS!! We felt so stupid. No one at the dealership told us our mirrors pulled out! (I know you’re laughing your butts off but you don’t know these things that everyone just takes for granted.)
We made it home with only one small incident when we didn’t turn wide enough in a parking lot.
I’m going to attempt to attach a picture that someone drew that shows the proper way to back up. It’s pretty cool.

Tags
hwh