Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2022, 04:37 PM   #1

Backing down a steep gravel driveway

I'm fairly new at this and need some advice from someone that has backed down steep driveways, to back my 23 foot 6500pound, TT down a 85 foot gravel driveway that has a 16 plus % grade (14 foot drop in 85 feet). I have v8 4 WD Tundra. I am pretty sure in low low it will be able to come out on a dry day but backing down just a bit concerned if the trailer will be pulling me too much or if someone that has done this on an even steeper drive has some insight/advice?
When I look at it, it seems doable but close enough to have second thoughts.
Johnda is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2022, 04:59 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I think I'd have a spotter or two, back down slowly in 4 low and have the trailer brake controller on high.
GPCPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 05:00 PM   #3

If small riverjacks or pea gravel you are going to slip. Hope you've got crushed stone instead. You might consider letting some air out of the tires to gain a wider profile. You could have a helper with a tractor hook up to you to help ease you down.
Old 04-09-2022, 06:23 PM   #4

It's impossible for us to judge as the coefficient of friction of various size gravel and their shape and compaction level can greatly vary.

When I had a 6000-6500lb loaded TT and the Suburban, a campground set us up on a real sketchy section at the top of a hill, right in a tight curve. While maneuvering, the entire unit started slipping downhill like on marbles. Truck ABS was working hard and the TT was locking up. About 25-30m and I finally stopped it, but my heart was in my throat. I guesstimate an 8-10% grade that time, but the rocks were quite loose.

I'd be trying in 4 lo, really slow, and have a spotter or two on each side ready with 16 split logs to throw behind the tires as wheel chocks should something start going wrong.
kdauto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 06:31 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
What kind of brake controller do you have.

I have a Tekonsha P3 and there is a reverse mode that I believe applies the brakes while backing (instead of relying on inertia going forward). Do some checking on your controller, you may have a similar function.

Other thing is that if you start sliding backwards you might consider just putting in forward gear and pulling it out of the skid mode.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 06:36 PM   #6

Thanks guys I should clarify, it is not loose gravel but a fairly hard packed mixed gravel and dirt base , the grip is pretty good and even 2 wd vehicles go up and down it when its dry with little or no slippage except maybe empty 1/2 tons.
Old 04-09-2022, 06:41 PM   #7

It is very possible that the trailer will pull the truck backward on loose gravel. I have been on loose gravel a few times and my truck has been pulled backward. That is not fun. It did eventually stop.

If it is really sketchy have two people, one on each side with wheel chocks. And even wheel chocks with slide some.

Good luck
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 08:28 PM   #8

Are you just looking to get the TT there one time and leave it or are you going to go through this with some regularity when you travel? If the latter I'd rethink the whole thing. I've had challenging RV parking situations and it kind of ruins the whole enjoyment of RVing since you just worry when you're out about parking when you get home.

If just one time can you get someone with a tractor, etc. to help? Rolling in 1-LO (in whatever truck) you'd be going pretty slow so I do like the previous ideas about having people standing by with chocks but be careful. 16% is pretty steep.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 08:51 PM   #9

If I were you I would be looking at adding weight to the bed of the truck for traction and control while backing down that steep of a slope. As much as I could get in there. I have driven transfers here in So. Cal and when we had to dump the. trailer box backing up a steep gravel road we would raise the truck box transfering the weight to the drivers for control and traction. My opinion you will need the weight on the drive axle for control and traction

2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
1doodadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 08:03 AM   #10

Although this might not work for everyone, if I was backing a trailer down a steep gravel road, I would put the truck in 4 low and let er go .... I wouldn't use the wheel brakes. If you try braking you are apt to have your front tires skid which will hinder your ability to steer.
4x4ord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 01:21 PM   #11

I simply wouldn't do it. The Tundra doesn't have enough weight as it is. The trailer, going backwards, is going to lift the tongue whenever it's braked, which is going to lift the rear of the truck. Simply not enough weight to safely execute this maneuver. Go down truck first or not at all.
Old 04-14-2022, 01:03 PM   #12

Thanks for your advice guys, Ill be attempting it as soon as the excavator does some leveling (hopefully in less than 2 weeks) and will let you know how it goes.
Old 04-14-2022, 01:32 PM   #13

Backing up on a steep grade you will have very little traction with the front tires and they will lock up easily so go very, very slow and don't let it build up any speed or it could get away from you. I've done this in my work van and there is practically no stopping once those front wheels start to slide, all the weight shifts to the rear and the front is very unstable and steering becomes iffy. This will happen even with ABS. BTDT, I can't stress enough to go very, very slow, like 1/2 MPH.
bigb56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 06:02 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If you're going to have an excavator out there, why not have an area made that you can turn around and head down the hill (4-low and 1st gear)? Be careful, as the areas being filled / leveled most likely won't be compacted and "hard pack".
GPCPL is offline   Reply With Quote