Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2020, 07:20 PM   #1

Backup Camera Recommendations

Just started towing a 36ft fifth wheel toy hauler. The rig didn't come with a backup camera, looking for advice on what to buy. We tow with a Chevy 3500.
Thanks
ross1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2020, 09:14 PM   #2

Look at the Haloview line. Their wireless cameras are getting good reviews.
Old 06-14-2020, 09:26 PM   #3

I bought one from Tadi Brothers... wireless can be a problem--it was for me and I had to hardwire.
tommar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 05:31 AM   #4

Hardwire all the way! If you have a separate monitor, put a switch on the camera so you can turn it on/off whenever you want.
I have a slew of $10 ebay cameras and they all work great. Some better than factory cameras. Positioning the camera is the most important thing. You want to see as far back as possible, while still seeing the rear most part of the rv and w/o obstruction.
6_Riders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 07:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommar View Post
I bought one from Tadi Brothers... wireless can be a problem--it was for me and I had to hardwire.
Did you hardwire the Tadi ?
mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 07:56 AM   #6

Here is a suggestion and follow up review from another forum:

I installed this one from Amazon during the off season for my 31 ft. trailer. It works great sitting underneath the carport. Looking forward to the first tow next week. It is wireless and was an easy install. The field of view looks sufficient to cover some blind spots. Maybe I'll check back in a week.

AMTIFO FHD 1080P Digital Wireless Backup Camera,Hitch Camera with 7'' DVR Monitor Support Split/Quard Screen for Pickups,Trucks,Trailers,RV,5th Wheels High-Speed Observation System

I promised a follow up, here it is. I built an adapter so the monitor mounts to my rear view mirror. The resolution of the monitor is very good however the brightness could be better especially when wearing sunglasses. I had a full signal all the time and there was no pixelation or frame freezing with the unit (up to 70 mph). Everything seemed reduced in size, a magnification feature would have been helpful. I could tell a vehicle was behind me and they would be in the camera view well into the point where my mirrors picked it up. I towed in the rain; the camera lens did not clear well and was pretty much useless. Once the rain stopped, the lens quickly cleared. Our site was a pull through so I did not use the camera for backing.
Old 06-20-2020, 09:24 PM   #7
JDT

I had a hard wired system with a 7 inch monitor from RV Safety. My mistake was not getting the HD version. The standard def version was way to blurry for my liking. I couldn't make out an approaching vehicle until it was pretty close. Our new Pinnacle came with a Furrion wireless with a 5 inch monitor as one of the options. It is HD and I really like it. I use the suction cup mount just below the morror. I have not had any issues loosing a signal. The Pinnacle is listed at 36' 6" and I have a long bed crew cab truck.
JDT is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera