Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2019, 07:07 PM   #1

Bed cover that works with a tool box & 5th wheel.

Here is my new truck. I am looking at getting this bed cover for my truck. Does anyone know if this will work with a 5th wheel or gooseneck?
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00X70W5...v_ov_lig_dp_it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ram 1 (2).jpg
Views:	89
Size:	206.8 KB
ID:	231103  
Wildman4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2019, 05:00 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
I see no reason that it shouldn't work.
A quick measurement of 5th wheel and box depth should confirm.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 07:40 PM   #3

Well for all you others out there that were looking for the another option to that HEAVY 5th wheel I think I have found it and they make a version for tool boxes also.

https://andersenhitches.com/Products...box-model.aspx

And then here is video about this hitch and a great review of it also.

I hope this helps someone else out also.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman4x4 View Post
Here is my new truck. I am looking at getting this bed cover for my truck. Does anyone know if this will work with a 5th wheel or gooseneck?
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00X70W5...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Have you bought the tool box yet, you can get a below rail model and a roll up cover.
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhagfo View Post
Have you bought the tool box yet, you can get a below rail model and a roll up cover.

Yes I could but I want an above rail box and I don't like the roll up covers.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:39 PM   #6

It should as long as the tool box, bed cover and truck all match up.

I have a tool box that fits below the rails and a fifth wheel hitch that hides under a BakFilp bed cover. The down side is that I have to get in the bed of the truck and flip up all the bed cover sections to get to the tool box. The plus side is no one knows there is a tool box under the cover.
roadcamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:54 AM   #7

Nice looking truck. Make sure you have plenty of truck/overhang clearance with your fifth wheel. Don't believe you will have clearance problems with the tool box as you have a long bed. You may have problems with the cover when it is folded. I have six inches of clearance and a trifold cover, never a problem when towing. When backing sharp on uneven terrain the dynamics change and the clearances shrink. I have nudged my trifold on one occasion.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Yes I could but I want an above rail box and I don't like the roll up covers.

Why get a tool box you need to drill holes in the bed rail? Just moved my below rail tool box to our new to us 2016 Ram 3500 DRW, and have a roll up cover over it. The bed floor is lower then the 2001, so I placed 1.5" spacers under the tool box so it is at the height of the rail, so if I want to haul some 8' lumber I can get one layer in the bed.
Another option would be a hard roll up, have seen some that roll into about an 8" to 10" box.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Why get a tool box you need to drill holes in the bed rail?
You don't have to drill into your bed for over the rail toolboxes. They make clamps that go thru the box and hook under the rail. You can't get to them because the lid is closed. Take a look at a new over the rail box.

If I have an under the rail box I have to open my cover each and every time I want to get to my box. I'm not interested in having to do that.
I am stuck in my ways and like what I like.

https://www.amazon.com/CSI-W35000-To...CT49E026A20YY0
Old 01-11-2019, 06:56 AM   #10

Quote:
You don't have to drill into your bed for over the rail toolboxes. They make clamps that go thru the box and hook under the rail. You can't get to them because the lid is closed. Take a look at a new over the rail box.

If I have an under the rail box I have to open my cover each and every time I want to get to my box. I'm not interested in having to do that.
I am stuck in my ways and like what I like.

https://www.amazon.com/CSI-W35000-To...CT49E026A20YY0

Well that makes at least two of us.
Can you get a good water tight seal between the tool box and the cover?
Old 01-11-2019, 09:10 AM   #11

Quote:
Well that makes at least two of us.
Can you get a good water tight seal between the tool box and the cover?
I don't honestly know. If you read the bed covers web site then yes but I have never had a bed cover and toolbox before. This will be a new thing for me.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00X70W576...v_ov_lig_dp_it
Old 01-11-2019, 09:24 AM   #12

Nice truck, just got a very similar one myself. I went with a roll up aluminum cover and no tool box as the cover is very stout - retrax pro mx. Guess you could install swinging boxes on the rear if you need extra protection with out interfering with a 5th wheel also if you wanted as this cover does allow tailgate to open when cover is closed and locked. After some minor tweaking the cover has been pretty water resistant except a little around the tailgate seal. Very happy with mine so far. I went this route as I wanted nothing above the bed line with an 8' bed for max clearance and turn radius. Thats why I passed on fold ups and an above bed tool box.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:53 AM   #13

Quote:
I don't honestly know. If you read the bed covers web site then yes but I have never had a bed cover and toolbox before. This will be a new thing for me.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00X70W576...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Well good looking cover, but one reviewer seemed to have issue with leakage, could be his install skills. I would also do some measuring as with a little math 20" tool box in an 8' bed leaves 76" of cover, tri fold means each panel will be about 25" placing the back edge of the folded back cover at 45" from the front of the bed. Now Having a Ram also I know the axles is well aft, but haven't measured.
Old 01-12-2019, 02:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Well good looking cover, but one reviewer seemed to have issue with leakage, could be his install skills. I would also do some measuring as with a little math 20" tool box in an 8' bed leaves 76" of cover, tri fold means each panel will be about 25" placing the back edge of the folded back cover at 45" from the front of the bed. Now Having a Ram also I know the axles is well aft, but haven't measured.

Yes I read that one review. Of course it is like many forums where the most people post about are their issues and not the good. Even if the cover sits back too far I can always just remove it and stick it under the tool box while towing.

I thought there use to be a metal type roll up cover that worked with a toolbox but haven't been able to find it in my searches.

Tags
5th wheel, cover