Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2022, 11:14 AM   #1

Bed height question

Newby question here. I recently purchased a 2019 Arctic Fox 27-5L. I have a 2011 F250 that has 6" lift with 37" tires. I know it is too high for this 5th wheel. Does anyone know what the actual maximum bed height is to safely tow this rig? Im going to sell my truck and get something lower but would like a point of reference since some beds are higher than others. thanks
JRib is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2022, 11:18 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Buy a new truck ?
Good luck.
Just pull the lift off yours.
A whole lot cheaper..........
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 11:30 AM   #3

Even if you pulled the lift off that 2011 F250 RAWR is too low for the Wet pin of that 13,400 GVWR 5vr

RAWR=6100#
Wet Pin=3000#
Weight on Rear axle would have to be 3100# or less loaded up 'camp ready'

Bed heights run 58" - 59"

5th wheel overhangs...roughly 58"

Unfortunately RV MFGs & Truck MFGs do not consult with each other.
RV Market is secondary for Truck Mfg

Mods are needed...........
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 05:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRib View Post
Newby question here. I recently purchased a 2019 Arctic Fox 27-5L. I have a 2011 F250 that has 6" lift with 37" tires. I know it is too high for this 5th wheel. Does anyone know what the actual maximum bed height is to safely tow this rig? Im going to sell my truck and get something lower but would like a point of reference since some beds are higher than others. thanks
with a fairly new 5th wheel like your 2019 you only going to be able to run stock height trucks , the bed rail and the under belly near the pin box really need 6~7" clearance or you run the risk of contact and expensive repairs. It maybe possible to raise the ride height of the trailer some but never to the level of your current trucks bed rail height. its not uncommon to do a axle under the springs pack on the trailer or extend the spring hangler by 2" to raise the trailer . But keep in mind you cant have a trailer over 13'- 6"max or you will leave your AC unit at the first low highway bridge. Some of the newer truck and 5 year old trailer can be a problem at stock ride height on the trucks, the bed rails just dont have the clearance you MUST have.

One option you could look into is removing your pick up bed and putting a flatbed hauler body on the frame . you will need to be able to fabricate a hitch mount to the truck frame but that will let you still use the truck lifted. Lifted trucks are NOT very good for towing any trailer regardless of weight , Lighter trailer would be much safer with a lifted truck. Large soft side wall tires and lift blocks are just some of the many problems that compound safety issue .
Old 02-16-2022, 07:51 PM   #5

Welcome to the forum.

From another forum: We have a 2017 F350 and 2018 AF 27-5L. We have a B&W Companion hitch with puck system legs, which we bought the hitch used. It tows level with plenty of rail clearance without any adjustments to the pin box or hitch.
Old 02-17-2022, 12:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer15015 View Post
Buy a new truck ?
Good luck.
Just pull the lift off yours.
A whole lot cheaper..........
you would think! 2K to remove lift, will need new tires and wheels, brakes are coming up due soon, fluids also due. Added up it doesn't pencil out. My truck is really cherry. I would just wait and find a used stoker in similar condition. Would love to keep my truck though.
JRib is offline   Reply With Quote