Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2019, 11:15 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisavaet View Post
A. You’re welcome, and,
B. Generators on 5th wheels are virtually always propane unless it’s a Toy Hauler 5th wheel. For a normal fiver you’re looking at carrying an extra bottle of LP, not five gallon cans.

I haven’t figured out exactly where but I plan on an extra bottle in the bed once I get the cover. Probably a 20 pound rather than the thirty which is on my fiver or any I’ll likely get so it’s easy to swap out or exchange as a backup.
We haven’t agreed on toy hauler or traditional 5th wheel. The garage would be a whatever room and not necessarily for toys. The “toys” gas tank could house fuel for the genny while the trucks extra fuel tank would possibly be bringing fuel home. So many options.
SavageCatHV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2019, 02:43 PM   #44

Bed length matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhagfo View Post
Some very good points above.

If you want to tow a 5er and not be thinking about it get a long bed.

Many want a short bed for better parking, well drive it enough and it won't be an issue. We full time and our 2016 Ram 3500 LB DRW is our daily driver. I park in parking lots near or far. I prefer to back in to a parking space better view coming out and easier to get into. We do have park sense and a backup camera, so getting close to a vehicle behind us is easy.
DW drives it also and is comfortable doing so.

Those that use a SB and tow a f
5er will say no issues, well until that slightly off angle spot they are backing into an d CRUNCH!

I hope I don’t sound rude, but I cannot disagree with this statement more. I drive 30k miles a yr in metro Atlanta, and it takes every inch of a parking space to park a 2500 short bed Ram in the average parking deck. If you parked a LB in a downtown ATL parking deck you would be missing the bumper in no time. And don’t ever think you will park a DRW in an average Atlanta parking deck.

I also own a 2019 Keystone Sprinter 5r and have had it at 90*+ angles with no dents in my truck. Today’s 5er’s are made for being pulled with SB trucks. I believe the Anderson helps this also.

Your ride might be better with a DRW, but I don’t see how it could be much better, my ride is pretty dog gone good while towing my 39’8” 5er.
Shmelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 12:31 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmelton View Post
I hope I don’t sound rude, but I cannot disagree with this statement more. I drive 30k miles a yr in metro Atlanta, and it takes every inch of a parking space to park a 2500 short bed Ram in the average parking deck. If you parked a LB in a downtown ATL parking deck you would be missing the bumper in no time. And don’t ever think you will park a DRW in an average Atlanta parking deck.

I also own a 2019 Keystone Sprinter 5r and have had it at 90*+ angles with no dents in my truck. Today’s 5er’s are made for being pulled with SB trucks. I believe the Anderson helps this also.

Your ride might be better with a DRW, but I don’t see how it could be much better, my ride is pretty dog gone good while towing my 39’8” 5er.

Don't see your difference of opinion as rude.
I have done some driving in Atlanta, but always a rental car. Have parked in Parking garage, same back it in approach.
We had to take a short detour on a county road the yesterday due to a crash that blocked the main road. I could measure it as we cross it a couple times a week, likely about 16' at most 18' wide, no center line. We were going opposite direction of the heavy traffic, most of the cars nearest the center of the road were the little compacts! My outer dully was right at the road edge, the only vehicle that didn't need to move closer to the shoulder was a Chevy dully coming the other way!
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 05:19 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmelton View Post

I drive my dually like any other car. We have travelled to many urban spots too and don't restrict our visits because of it. Las vegas, Los Angeles, San Francisco (downtown even)...hard to get much more urban than that. I always manage to park it somewhere. Park aid sensors and rear cam are a HUGE help.

With my long bed I never stress making U turns and such. I want the extra cargo capacity from those 2 extra feet as well. My auxiliary tank/toolbox combo sucks enough room out of it already.

I like the "rides on rails" feel of the DRW when loaded and cannot imagine going to a SRW for anything over 10k lbs.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 07:53 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
...With my long bed I never stress making U turns and such...
What do you mean by this, you just don't do U-Turns or you do them and you have to back up and then pull forward or ??? Please clarify. Also, are you referring to daily driving or when towing or both? Who know a simple statement would create so many questions for me.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:02 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageCatHV View Post
What do you mean by this, you just don't do U-Turns or you do them and you have to back up and then pull forward or ??? Please clarify. Also, are you referring to daily driving or when towing or both? Who know a simple statement would create so many questions for me.
I'm just saying a U-turn while hauling the 5th wheel with a long bed is a breeze. There are never any clearance issues with the cab (well, unless you are blind are have the trailer at a 160 degree angle,LOL), no fiddling with a slider hitch nor any of that extra slider wear or play.

I've gone in places I shouldn't have but u-turned on narrow 2 lane roads, it was that or backing up 1 or 2 km. My friend has way more experience hauling but he busted his rear glass once with his short bed GMC.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 09:52 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
I'm just saying a U-turn while hauling the 5th wheel with a long bed is a breeze. There are never any clearance issues with the cab (well, unless you are blind are have the trailer at a 160 degree angle,LOL), no fiddling with a slider hitch nor any of that extra slider wear or play.

I've gone in places I shouldn't have but u-turned on narrow 2 lane roads, it was that or backing up 1 or 2 km. My friend has way more experience hauling but he busted his rear glass once with his short bed GMC.
Ah, okay. Thanks for the follow up comments.

All of these comments shared have REALLY eased my worries of a long bed.