Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2019, 08:45 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
I have been pulling my 5er' for over a year and have never had to use the slider or even needed it as an option. If you have to cut that far your doing it wrong. Because my truck is a daily driver I did not want a long bed.
Unless you venture into unknown (tight) places and need to do a U-turn. BTDT, long bed turns on a dime. Personally I want nothing to do with short beds, not many advantages.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2019, 08:47 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
How flat can the floor be and why is this important? I have never really checked this but as far as I remember the floor in the back of my GMC 3500HD is quite flat with the seats folded up. When we make the odd huge grocery run we stuff all the items there on the rear floor. I don't remember seeing a driveshaft hump or anything.
Mega cab interior
Old 05-05-2019, 08:48 AM   #31

Non mega interior
Old 05-05-2019, 10:31 PM   #32

Quote:
Unless you venture into unknown (tight) places and need to do a U-turn. BTDT, long bed turns on a dime. Personally I want nothing to do with short beds, not many advantages.
What is" BTDT"?
SavageCatHV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 10:33 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemike View Post
Non mega interior
That screen is larger than the TV I have at the house!
Old 05-06-2019, 05:12 AM   #34

Quote:
Mega cab interior
OK, there is a size difference but I still must be missing something. I do see the NON mega cab has a weird way of folding the seats back that interferes with storage. Folding all the seats DOWN on the Mega cab makes it flat with the "board" down but does raise the floor and storage level.

I know I am quite satisfied with the way my GMC folds the seats up, close to what the non mega cab does but much flatter. I did check my cab yesterday as we used the truck and it does have a wee driveshaft hump, barely an inch high and not very wide. Never kept me from putting lots of stuff there and helping folks move.

For myself, I don't want to sacrifice much bed length but we also rarely travel more than 2 at a time anymore.
Old 05-06-2019, 05:34 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageCatHV View Post
What is" BTDT"?
Sorry, been there and done that. I could add "got the t-shirt".
Old 05-06-2019, 05:52 AM   #36

Quote:
Mega cab interior
My MegaCab back seat also accommodates a thick foam mattress that we put in place for long trips so the passenger/navigator can catch some shuteye before trading places with the driver. The two little dogs love it, too.

I don't have a fiver anymore, but I pulled a 35' using a slider hitch in the 6.5' bed and never came close to having a boo-boo from cap-to-cab contact.
EdBoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 09:30 AM   #37

Yes the "deck" is higher with the seats folded down in the megacab. That is the trade off. The dogs still manage to get up there.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:28 AM   #38

Quote:
Sorry, been there and done that. I could add "got the t-shirt".
OMG, I read that 5 times before it clicked.

I'll take a medium-sized shirt, please.
Old 05-09-2019, 08:39 AM   #39

Aux fuel tank and extra spare.

Long thread, but I didn't see this addressed specifically.

With a long bed you can put an aux fuel tank in. With a short bed you "might" be able to, but it'll be much lower capacity and harder to find.

thefuelbox.com has a 70 gal in bed aux tank that is notched so you can install a retractable bed cover. https://thefuelbox.com/product/lt70t-70-gal/

I haven't bought one yet, but that's the one I'm going to get, probably this summer. They are the only manufacturer that has a non-invasive wiring harness. You don't have to cut into the factory harness. It plugs into the obd port.

With a short bed you'll be very limited on the aux fuel tanks you can run.

I also have a 2nd spare that sits between the hitch and the tailgate. With the aux fuel tank I'll be using just about every inch of real estate in the bed.

With a short bed you can't get a dually, except with the Ram MegaCab as noted previously. My 2019 Duramax CC 4x4 DRW pulls like it's on rails. In the mountains, on the flat, in the rain, snow, and ice. She is confidence inspiring. I love the long drw for towing.

While you can use a standard hitch with many 5th wheels that have a notched nose cap and extended pin box, you've limited yourself. I had a short bed previously with a gooseneck ball and adapter. I got into a tight spot and hit the corner of my cab on the nosecap of my fiver and did some damage. I didn't want to limit myself and I didn't want the additional maintenance requirements of a slider.

I will say that having a CC DRW as a daily driver is a learning experience. You make your choices, you take your chances. Your mileage may vary.

Kate
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0310.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	431.9 KB
ID:	245314  
Old 05-09-2019, 11:19 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisavaet View Post

With a long bed you can put an aux fuel tank in. With a short bed you "might" be able to, but it'll be much lower capacity and harder to find.

thefuelbox.com has a 70 gal in bed aux tank that is notched so you can install a retractable bed cover. https://thefuelbox.com/product/lt70t-70-gal/

I haven't bought one yet, but that's the one I'm going to get, probably this summer. They are the only manufacturer that has a non-invasive wiring harness. You don't have to cut into the factory harness. It plugs into the obd port.

I also have a 2nd spare that sits between the hitch and the tailgate. With the aux fuel tank I'll be using just about every inch of real estate in the bed.

With a short bed you can't get a dually, except with the Ram MegaCab as noted previously. My 2019 Duramax CC 4x4 DRW pulls like it's on rails. In the mountains, on the flat, in the rain, snow, and ice. She is confidence inspiring. I love the long drw for towing.

While you can use a standard hitch with many 5th wheels that have a notched nose cap and extended pin box, you've limited yourself. I had a short bed previously with a gooseneck ball and adapter. I got into a tight spot and hit the corner of my cab on the nosecap of my fiver and did some damage. I didn't want to limit myself and I didn't want the additional maintenance requirements of a slider.

I will say that having a CC DRW as a daily driver is a learning experience. You make your choices, you take your chances. Your mileage may vary.

Kate
Exactly the same reasons I wanted a long bed! I have a 40 U.S. gallon auxiliary tank that doubles as a huge locked storage/toolbox. It takes some 20 or 22" of bed length but I could put a topper on it if need be. I have also had to haul 2 extra spare wheel assemblies for an extremely remote trip, fit exactly as yours did.

Fuel mileage is probabaly 0.3% different from a short bed and parking is the same to me. Rear camera and sensors make parking relatively easy for me.

You have a nice truck, gonna probably be my next one when this one is done, which means many more years still.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:30 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisavaet View Post

Kate
I just recently realized the genny on 5th wheels are gas and not diesel (liket on Class A) which then lead me to auxilliary fuel tanks which then led me to an in-bed tank. I don't really want to lug 5 gallon gas cans around to refill the genny sothis is a great option. And then that led me to some kind of re movable bed cover (lockable). Thanks for mentioning the fuel tank.
Old 05-11-2019, 06:31 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageCatHV View Post
I just recently realized the genny on 5th wheels are gas and not diesel (liket on Class A) which then lead me to auxilliary fuel tanks which then led me to an in-bed tank. I don't really want to lug 5 gallon gas cans around to refill the genny sothis is a great option. And then that led me to some kind of re movable bed cover (lockable). Thanks for mentioning the fuel tank.
A. You’re welcome, and,
B. Generators on 5th wheels are virtually always propane unless it’s a Toy Hauler 5th wheel. For a normal fiver you’re looking at carrying an extra bottle of LP, not five gallon cans.

I haven’t figured out exactly where but I plan on an extra bottle in the bed once I get the cover. Probably a 20 pound rather than the thirty which is on my fiver or any I’ll likely get so it’s easy to swap out or exchange as a backup.