Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2014, 07:30 AM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Best 5th wheel hitch?

As I'm looking for a truck and 5th wheel trailer I notice several different kinds of hitches. For the truck mounted hitch I would think Reese would be the best...or is there something else out there now? I've heard about "sliders" too....? I will get a truck with a standard 8' bed rather than a short one. That way I should never have to worry about 5er hitting the truck cab...right?

Next is the "snout" on the front of the trailer...whatever it's called. I've seen plain metal with a pin...to ones with an air bag and shock on it. What's the best to be strong with a smooth ride?

On a side note. In the past I've always seen a tripod under the pin when set up. But don't see in the photos of new ones. Is that only when setup...or are those still used with new 5ers?

Thanks!
Batten54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2014, 07:39 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
The "best"? Wow!! That depends - do you want an air-ride or standard hitch? No, you won't need a "slider" with an 8' bed, so that takes those out of the analysis.

I've never had (or needed) an air-ride hitch, so I won't comment on those, but I've had both Reese and B&W standard 5th wheel hitches, and I much prefer the 1" jaws and hitching mechanism design of the B&W. The B&W Companion is available as a direct drop-in fit for both the Ford and Ram gooseneck/5th wheel factory prep package pucks.

We use a Demco GlideRide extended pinbox on our 5th wheel (see signature) and have no problems with chucking or surging.

If you're extremely sensitive to any motion whatsoever after you've set up, you may wind up buying a tripod (although other options may do a better job to stabilize the front jack legs), but we've been towing 5th wheels since 1996 and have never used or needed a tripod with any of ours.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:53 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
The "best"? Wow!! That depends - do you want an air-ride or standard hitch? No, you won't need a "slider" with an 8' bed, so that takes those out of the analysis.

I've never had (or needed) an air-ride hitch, so I won't comment on those, but I've had both Reese and B&W standard 5th wheel hitches, and I much prefer the 1" jaws and hitching mechanism design of the B&W. The B&W Companion is available as a direct drop-in fit for both the Ford and Ram gooseneck/5th wheel factory prep package pucks.

We use a Demco GlideRide extended pinbox on our 5th wheel (see signature) and have no problems with chucking or surging.

If you're extremely sensitive to any motion whatsoever after you've set up, you may wind up buying a tripod (although other options may do a better job to stabilize the front jack legs), but we've been towing 5th wheels since 1996 and have never used or needed a tripod with any of ours.

Rusty
"The B&W Companion is available as a direct drop-in fit for both the Ford and Ram gooseneck/5th wheel factory prep package pucks."

Does the truck need to have the "factory prep package" to install?

"If you're extremely sensitive to any motion whatsoever after you've set up, you may wind up buying a tripod (although other options may do a better job to stabilize the front jack legs), but we've been towing 5th wheels since 1996 and have never used or needed a tripod with any of ours."

So I don't have to use a tripod to prevent damage to the trailer when set op for a week/month etc...?
Batten54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:06 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batten54 View Post
Does the truck need to have the "factory prep package" to install?
No, the standard B&W Companion 5th wheel hitch uses the B&W Turnoverball gooseneck hitch as its base. It has an adapter post that locks into the gooseneck receiver, and the Companion 5th wheel hitch then bolts and clamps to this adapter post. You MAY find it cheaper to order the factory prep package, though, than to purchase and install the Turnoverball gooseneck hitch so you can use the Companion 5th wheel hitch. Plus, the factory prep package (at least on the Ram, and I suspect on the Ford) gets the 7-pin trailer receptacle in the bed of the truck where you need it for a 5th wheel. In summary, you either need the factory prep package OR the B&W Turnoverball gooseneck hitch to use the B&W Companion 5th wheel hitch.

By the way, if you look on their website, the 25K-rated Ram Companion 5th wheel hitch for the factory prep package is so new that it hasn't been added yet. HERE it is (with the part number), though.

And, as a bonus, B&W's factory is in Humboldt, Kansas. All their products are American made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batten54 View Post
So I don't have to use a tripod to prevent damage to the trailer when set op for a week/month etc...?
No, not at all. You also don't need (or want) slideout support jacks or anything other than the jacks that come on the 5th wheel and a set of wheel chocks as far as locating and stabilizing the 5th wheel is concerned.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:07 AM   #5

I was a Reese fan until my local hitch dealer turned me on to a Pullrite. The functional difference is that the pullrite has a cam that rotates around the pin to lock it in place instead of the jaws on the Reese. If the handle is in, the pin is locked in. It's a much more positive engagement. The Pullrite is built to tolerances that are about 10% of what its competitors are, so the pin is held tight with little clunking. The downside to that is I had a bit of a challenge hitching up my new trailer to my new hitch (too tight - didn't want to close). The 30 mile ride home fixed that, and now it works like it should.

Other Pullrite bonuses are SAE 2630 certification (higher standards), it's made in Indiana (Reese is Chinese), and is priced significantly cheaper.

I was contemplating some sort of dampening or air ride pinbox, but our camper turned out to ride very smoothly, so I'm going to leave the rigid setup in place.
MIFarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIFarmer View Post

Other Pullrite bonuses are SAE 2630 certification (higher standards), it's made in Indiana (Reese is Chinese), and is priced significantly cheaper.

Reese is made in China????? Where is the origin of manufacturing label on the Reese hitch that states this?

Jim W.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:58 AM   #7

thought Reese moved to Mexico?
hone eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:18 AM   #8

Reese is a Mexican company, metal from China, imported by a company in Michigan.

I've got a barn full of John Deere equipment that's "made in America," but every cast piece has "China" stamped in it. I wouldn't look too hard for a label on your hitch.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:00 PM   #9

B&W, made in the U.S.A
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel