Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2019, 08:17 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_the_ee View Post
Does it have a “tow/haul” mode? Start there as most modern vehicles with a tow/haul mode will pick the right gear to maintain a given speed and you won’t have to try and figure it out on your own. Which is a good thing now that there’s 8 or 10 gears from which to pick...
Yes. The only time I use brakes is to cause the downshift.

Sometimes with my F450 MH towing Jeep I need to manually downshift to 4.

I live in Idaho so it is serious mountain passes wherever I go. Any who suggest using brakes are fools.
LarryinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2019, 08:22 PM   #58

Downhill grades

This is a simple rule after driving for a living for forty yrs , I believe that what ever gear you go up the hill in that is same one to go down in. And if you will be doing much steep grade driving or a little go get a exhaust brake put on . Hope that helps . Go on you tube google and listen to what experience drivers say about it . You can decipher what will be best . Good luck
buckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 08:28 PM   #59

Prep baby prep

If you know there is a steep down grade coming up..... slow down before the grade begins.
Keep you foot of the gas and let gravity do the work.
If you need to down shift to keep your speed in check and if needed stab brake and bring your speed well down and then start the process all over again.

Using this method you have the brakes available if needed and by going slowly you have control ,remember it’s not a race.
If there is traffic turn on your 4ways to worn people around you that your slower than the maniacs that go whipping by you that you will find in the ditch or up an escape ramp somewhere down the grade mean while your still going.
gregsalisbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 07:23 AM   #60

Wouldn't having the cruise control set to a certain speed help the vehicle and trailer slow down? Most trailer tires imply a max speed of 65 mph. So if my CC is set to 65 +/-, won't the engine do the work and thinking for me? My 2008 Dodge Ram 1500, even unhooked, doesn't run away from me on downhills. Some "governor" kicks in and keeps my speed static. I'm new but that's what happens in my ride.
jbiondi24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 09:02 AM   #61

The best way in my opinion is to use your engine down shift as much as possible. When you use your brakes, brake hard till your five to ten mph below the speed limit and release. Do not ride the peddle. Make sure your foot is off the peddle. Then repeat as nessassry. I drove a truck for twenty years this is how I was tought and it works well.
Goldwinging is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 09:30 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbiondi24 View Post
Wouldn't having the cruise control set to a certain speed help the vehicle and trailer slow down? Most trailer tires imply a max speed of 65 mph. So if my CC is set to 65 +/-, won't the engine do the work and thinking for me? My 2008 Dodge Ram 1500, even unhooked, doesn't run away from me on downhills. Some "governor" kicks in and keeps my speed static. I'm new but that's what happens in my ride.
Yes, many newer pickups, SUV, and RV's have cruise controls that use engine breaking to keep the speed constant down hill with a full load. Even my 2015 Mazda 3 starts engine breaking when 5 mph over set speed.
Persistent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 10:14 AM   #63

The answer is both..........transmission, brakes.
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 10:42 AM   #64

Steep Freeway Driving

I like all the the good ideas shared. I also try to learn from the Big Boys. Watch the rode signs,; Watch the big rigs and adjust my speed at the top.
Be assured there are a few RV drivers that will pass you like a flash of light going down....gear down at the top and enjoy the ride...
max408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 10:48 AM   #65

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have found the views going downhill are better than going up most of the time. Don't let the great times flash by because you were in a hurry. Slow down, glide easily down the hills, and enjoy one of the great moments of the trip.
Old 06-14-2019, 04:12 PM   #66

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebiT View Post
Although I've towed boats in the past, I'm new to towing a trailer.* Next week I'll be practicing with my new tow vehicle and new to me Casita, and want to ask about a downhill freeway grade that will be part of most of my trips.

When I used to drive our old Class A RV down this grade, I would often shift out of "OD" into regular D, using the engine to brake the rig a little.* My new Durango has regular drive, and then an option to shift into manual, which would then allow for a downshift.* Which is better, to do that, or to use my brakes, thereby of course using my trailer brakes, even if I end up using them quite a bit while going down the grade?

I hope this question makes sense.* I thought it would be good to ask for advice rather than start experimenting at 55 mph!
Use engine brake to control downhill speed. Go down a hill in the same gear you would go up the same hill.
DPMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 08:46 PM   #67

Thanks everyone for all the help. Looking forward to that first trip
DebiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 07:14 AM   #68

downhill shifting question

Really good information here. I drive a class C. At what point is it safe to downshift? And please explain overdrive. Thank you
LaurenAudett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:57 AM   #69

Down shift

Second gear around thrity mph don't go down to first gear until you slow down to about twenty. Your owners manual will tell you about your vehicle. Mountain driving.
Goldwinging is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 04:37 AM   #70

Try setting your cruise control at 25 or the lowest setting. Let the cruise down shift. I would start slow, very slow. Mistakes are easier to correct at 25 than 55. Also, use the rest areas or turn outs. Take the first one and inspect your brakes. A laser thermometer works great. Just point and shoot. Take a reading in normal driving so you will have a base. A 7% grade is not the time to find out you made a mistake.
rkbeasley is offline   Reply With Quote