Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2017, 12:40 PM   #1

Best truck wheel size to tow fifth wheel?

I'm driving a 2009 Chevy 2500 4wd diesel crew cab. Pulling a 31' Sabre fifth wheel.
I have 16" tires and I'd like to upgrade to a larger wheel and tire. Not worried about cosmetics but I want to know what size would be best.
Any suggestions would be welcome.
FTAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2017, 07:54 PM   #2

Your '09 2500 truck should have 17" wheels...or look at GM's optional 18"-20" wheels and tires.

The tirerack.com web has many 18"-20" tire brands to look at.

You may get a better response over on our tow vehicle forum.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 12:10 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTAP View Post
I have 16" tires and I'd like to upgrade to a larger wheel and tire.
2009 Silverado 2500 pickups came with either 245/75R16, 265/75R16, or optional 265/70R17 tires. If your wheels are 16" diameter instead of 17", and you want bigger wheels, then I would go with 18" diameter wheels.

Then be certain the wheels are wide enough and strong enough to handle the max weight of the tire. For example LT275/65R18E tires require 18" wheels at least 7.5" wide and not more than 9.5" wide. The are rated for 3,305 pounds weight capacity @ 80 PSI. So be certain the new wheels are rated for at least that much weight and PSI.

That takes care of the wheels. Next is tires. If you don't want to change the performance of your truck, then you want the new tires to have close to the same tire revolutions per mile (revs/mile) as the old tires. When going from 16" wheels to 18" wheels, that means reducing the aspect ratio (middle number of the tire size) as the wheel diameter goes up.

In your case, I'll assume your OEM tire size is LT265/75R16E, which has 657 revs/mile. So the replacement tire for 18" wheels would be size LT265/65R18E which has 659 revs/mile. Insignificant difference in tire diameter means insignificant change in power and performance of the drivetrain. IOW, you effective axle ratio doesn't change, so your speedo, odo, and tripmeter are all unchanged. No difference in the power and torque going to the ground to drag your trailer.

Now the problem with the LT265R18E. Very few manufacturers produce that size. The only one I find with a quick search is BFGoodrich AllTerrain. Several other brands make that size but in P-series instead of LT. So if you want a different LT tire than the AllTerrain, then you have to go to a more available size = LT265/70R18E.

Note the aspect ratio went from 65 to 70, which means a taller tire with fewer revs/mile. With that size you can add General, Goodyear, and Toyo to the available manufacturers. But revs/mile dropped from 659 to 637, or 3.3% difference. That means 3.3% change in the effective axle ratio, as well as 3.3% change in the speedo error unless you have the speedo calibrated to match the new tires. Because of the change in axle ratio, your engine RPM at the same corrected speed will be 3.3% lower. IOW, if you now cruise at 2,000 RPM, you'll be cruising at only 1,934 RPM with the taller tires. Depending on the HP and torque curves of your engine, you'll probably have less power and torque delivered to the ground at the lower RPM.

If you're wanting the image of taller tires and are willing to sacrifice performance to get it, then you can go to even taller tires than LT265/70R18. Or else you can plan on spending several thousand dollars to change the ring and pinion gears in the front and rear differentials to offset the change in revs/mile of the really-tall tires.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 01:14 PM   #4

WHAT do you think you will gain by going to different wheel/tire size???
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 04:57 AM   #5

Although it may not be an issue, make sure if you increase the wheel profile it doesn't adversely affect the clearance of you fiver to your truck bed.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 01-27-2017, 06:27 PM   #6

If you increase tire diameter your towing performance will suffer. There is a reason that lots of duallys are 17 inches.
Just came back to make one more comment. There is no best size for towing. There is a best size based on your tow vehicle. Stock or smaller better within reason, larger size worse.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 06:59 PM   #7

If you check Craigslist in your area, you may find a bargain on some new takeoffs that will be what you need. Lots of GM buyers in DFW area seem to be upsizing the OEM tires/wheels.
Joe
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 09:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
If you check Craigslist in your area, you may find a bargain on some new takeoffs that will be what you need. Lots of GM buyers in DFW area seem to be upsizing the OEM tires/wheels.
Joe
If they are doing this for appearance sake which I assume then they should have no complaints when their mileage and performance suffers. If I wanted to make the change I would do it with no regrets. Since I bought my new truck for towing I will not be doing so.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 11:24 AM   #9

The only way to know whether or not the rolling radius is different is to check. Many of the tire sizes may be larger in wheel diameter, but due to different tire aspect ratios, may not be different in rolling radius, or any difference is very minor.
Smokey has put in a pretty good rundown of what to expect in changing some tire sizes.
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 11:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
WHAT do you think you will gain by going to different wheel/tire size???
X2 - OP mentions not caring about cosmetics so I'm wondering also. Changing from 16" to 17" or even 18" wheels will not make any noticeable difference IMO.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow