Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2015, 02:27 PM   #1

Best Weight Distribution Systems

Hi Everyone, when looking at WDS there are enough products to make your head spin. I know I want WDS with sway control that allows backing up. I'm willing to spend the money. I also know the system depends on the weight of camper and tongue weight. The tongue weight on my trailer is 500lbs. My questions is what is the best product out there from your perspective and experience? Thanks
mflippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2015, 02:37 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I've only had one, the Equal-i-zer. I'm happy with it, considering I have no experience with any other.
Old 10-20-2015, 02:54 PM   #3

I've had 2 WDHs. One was a waste of money. One is great.

The EAZ-Lift WDH with friction sway bars was not worth a dime, much less the 300 i paid for it at the dealer. Not only was it loud, and someone had to get out and release the sway bars before reversing, it also did a crap job of controlling sway.

The Blue Ox has been great. Can reverse without changing anything. Is quiet. is easy to hook up. Does a great job preventing sway.
Old 10-20-2015, 02:56 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The Equal-i-zer does get some complaints about noise, which is reduced by applying grease at the points shown in the owner's manual. I have gotten used to the small amount of noise it makes, but I won't speak for others.

The Equal-i-zer can be backed up without changing anything from forward movement.

Whatever you get, you have to read the manual and maintain the thing properly.
Old 10-20-2015, 03:57 PM   #5

So from research the cream of the crop is the hensley/propride hitch which is expensive but apparently worth it. I've had 2 other chain and bar set up with friction sway and they were just ok. I now have an equalizer 4pt which is incredible but is a bit noisy even with grease and rubber bushings under the bars. But it does a great job on our 35ft TT. Also I hear blue ox is good. From my experience, spend the money on a blue ox, Reese, or equalizer 4pt and you'll be happy.
dcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 07:54 PM   #6
CCH

Heartland RV Club
I have a Reese Strait-line and could not be happier with its set-up and performance - no issues at all backing up. It makes some noises when going around turns, but not a big deal for me.

I highly recommend going to eTrailer.com - they have a LOT of good information about hitches and towing.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:02 PM   #7

Just had a big thread on this on another forum. I'm big on the Anderson hitch. Totally new design and it works great. No grease to mess with and no ungainly heavy bars to unhook and put way. Very quiet and smooth. Pulling an 8000+ Sprinter TT and it handles it well. Check it out. They have a good youtube video on set up and use.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:53 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Best of the bunch is the ProPride. Expensive, but worth it.

2nd place is the Hensley Arrow. It's the older version of the ProPride, and almost as good. But it will cost you almost the same price as the ProPride. That's sorta like a brand new 1996 F-150 would be almost as good as a brand new 2016 model.

There are several in the affordable price but excellent function area. List price is around $1,000 and online price a hair over $600. Reese Strait-Line Trunnion bar, Equal-I-Zer, Blue Ox SwayPro. I don't know about the Anderson. Husky Centerline was right up there with the Strait-Line until they changed it recently and lowered the price. Now I wouldn't consider a CenterLine until after the RV press tests it and prints their reviews.

Reese and Husky also make cheap hitches you should avoid. If you find it on sale for less than $600 (including adjustable shank), than that's probably the cheap ones you want to avoid. Pay attention if you decide on a Strait-Line. Some retailers sell a version without a shank for less than $600. But you have to have the adjustable shank and that will set you back over $100.

I have had a Reese Strait-Line for years. Excellent hitch with excellent sway control when properly set up and adjusted. I recently invested in a ProPride 3P for my TT, and continue to use the Strait-Line on my cargo trailer.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 10:39 PM   #9

I use a Equalizer hitch. Other than it being a little loud I've never heard any complaints or had one.
IronCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 04:21 AM   #10

I am very happy with my equalizer 4 point as well. Had the chain setup on my old camper... it was ok, but not near as good as the equalizer
chertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 09:45 PM   #11

For a 500 lb tongue weight you can use quite a range of hitches as mentioned. Not much need for a Propride at this light weight. If money is no object go for it. I use an Equal-l-zer and it is great. If you get one remember you don't grease the L brackets on the trailer frame. You can use the boots but no grease. It cuts down on the sway control feature. Check with manufacturer to verify this because some on this site keep saying you can use grease when you can't. You can grease the upper and lower socket surfaces that hold the weight distribution bars.
If you plan on upgrading to a heavier TT then you may want a system with a tongue weight capacity of 1000lbs.
Good luck.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 07:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bttravel View Post
Just had a big thread on this on another forum. I'm big on the Anderson hitch. Totally new design and it works great. No grease to mess with and no ungainly heavy bars to unhook and put way. Very quiet and smooth. Pulling an 8000+ Sprinter TT and it handles it well. Check it out. They have a good youtube video on set up and use.
Amen, best money spent for my wife's riding comfort.
Chowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 06:11 AM   #13

My Blue Ox is a piece of cake. Very easy to hook up and it provides excellent weight distribution. My wife and I hook it up faster than Billy-be-jiggers. I suppose the anti sway works as intended as I never had any sway but than I'm carefully set up and carry more tongue weight than most, about 17% since I use a toy hauler as a normal travel trailer (no machines in back).

Menendez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 08:48 AM   #14

Never had any backing up issues with my Equal-I-Zer.

I did get tired of the noise.

I cut four small strips of teflon, about 1/8" thick, and epoxied them to the inside and bottom of the L, where some people suggested grease.

It has rendered the unit silent, except for VERY sharp turns, where I may get a single POP. Does not seem to affect the other functions. Still uses friction, but quieter friction, not metal-to-metal.
scottandanna is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight