Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2018, 02:04 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mre View Post
I agree, however, DW feels she can drive an F-150 and not an F-250. So this is the parameter I have to work with.
My DW said the same thing but I asked her would she rather learn how to drive the 2500 and be safe or drive the F150 and possibly have an issue. She choose to learn. To be honest neither of us could she tell too much of a difference between driving the two. The Ram 2500 just sits a lot taller. Length is not that much longer. Both fit in the garage the same. They just seem bigger. Take her out to the car lot and let her test drive both. Safety to us matters most.
bwinger73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2018, 02:10 PM   #16

Quote:
I agree, however, DW feels she can drive an F-150 and not an F-250. So this is the parameter I have to work with.
My DW is 5'2" and absolutely loves the SD. She normally drives a Mercury Mountaineer, so likes taller vehicles over cars.

If your DW is a car girl, it is a bigger vehicle, but so much safer rolling ahead of 9000lbs of TT.

Griz
IBDAGRIZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 02:16 PM   #17

Maybe you should wait and see what the new F-150 with a diesel is rated at.
MTK46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 02:16 PM   #18

We pull a 31’ overall, 7,500 GVW (~6,500 trip loaded) travel trailer with a 2013 F150 Platinum Screw 4x4 3.5 EB with Max Tow and 3.73 EL rear using a Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch. It is a sweet set up and very relaxing to trip in. Last summer we pulled from Florida to Alaska and back and have been to Colorado and New Mexico a few times. Plenty of power and very stable set up. Having said all this, I would not want to tow anything longer or heavier. Love this truck, but I lust for a F250 or F350 diesel. Only thing stopping me from getting one is because my wife said if I did she would bury me in it sooner than later. LOL. BTW, I do all the driving with the truck.
bfisher003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 02:22 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
When you compare engines for towing, look at the torque peak and torque/RPM curve, not the HP. You want a broad flat torque curve with good low end (below 2000 rpm) torque.
IF you were towing less than 10%, I'd say maybe the EcoBoost engine would work.
I just don't think you are going to be happy with the smaller truck after you have owned a heavy diesel pickup.
Another issue you are not considering is the brakes. Even though your trailer brakes help, the big brakes on the diesel pickup are several times more powerful than a lightweight 1/2 ton.

The factor that is most intimidating to drivers is the longer wheelbase trucks. They are tough to park and just feel big. I'd take her to a dealer and let her drive a new short wheelbase 3/4 ton diesel pickup (non-dually).
Best of luck!
vito.a is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 02:22 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The 3.5 may have nearly the same HP as the 6.8 but you will probably need a 10 speed transmission to keep it in the HP range.
You need to look at the HP and torque curves.
Lol.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ford Engine Curves.jpg
Views:	804
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	189745  
Old 01-23-2018, 02:46 PM   #21

I don't see the 6.8s torque curve.

Probable because it's pretty flat, starting at 1200 RPMs.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 03:06 PM   #22

Big Block V-8 vs. 3.5 Eco Boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I don't see the 6.8s torque curve.

Probable because it's pretty flat, starting at 1200 RPMs.

It's not-- at least not compared to a turbo.
Old 01-23-2018, 03:16 PM   #23

The 6.2 in the GM is nice. The truck itself likely has a bit more heft to it as well. You'll still need the WDH and likely sway control with a 30 footer.

I'd gravitate to the GM if you aren't brand loyal. More weight to it in front of that trailer and I think they have some pretty stout axles too which is a number to watch. I am open to correction if I am wrong.
smurfsofwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 03:30 PM   #24

Quote:
In my recent (2 months ago) reading up on Ford and GM trucks I'm pretty sure I read that the F-150 and F-250/350 all use the same cab. I could be wrong, but that thought is sticking in my brain for some reason.
Granted, the Super Duty sits higher, but length and width will be comparable depending on bed length.
Old 01-23-2018, 03:35 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfsofwar View Post
The 6.2 in the GM is nice. The truck itself likely has a bit more heft to it as well. You'll still need the WDH and likely sway control with a 30 footer.

I'd gravitate to the GM if you aren't brand loyal. More weight to it in front of that trailer and I think they have some pretty stout axles too which is a number to watch. I am open to correction if I am wrong.
Compare identical trucks and I think you’ll find less payload capacity if equipped with the 6.2 vs the 5.3

My previous 5.3 Chevy was at max RAWR towing the camper and loaded with stuff. I thought 6.2 would help, but I actually would have lost a couple hundred lbs capacity.

For me it was all about RAWR. Now I have plenty.
Old 01-23-2018, 03:41 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMynes View Post
My previous 5.3 Chevy was at max RAWR towing the camper and loaded with stuff. I thought 6.2 would help, but I actually would have lost a couple hundred lbs capacity.

For me it was all about RAWR. Now I have plenty.
Yeah that's the number I watch as well over the others, and tire ratings- I don't really bother with payload. I thought they had put a heavier axle in the 1500s with the 6.2 and towing groups now, but I must have been mistaken.
smurfsofwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 04:03 PM   #27

"Nobody has ever complained about having too much truck." is a quote from the forums that I'll never forget. To me, that seems like a hell of a lot of weight for a 1/2 to be handling for the majority of its life. I wouldn't trust the longevity of the powertrain. I'd want to bump it up for sure if it's me. Good luck with your search and in your dealings with the DW.
WA Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 04:25 PM   #28

I am going to wait until the 2019 Ram and Chevy are out this summer. Both are redesigned with more High Strength steel and some aluminum. I will then compare them to the 2018 F-150.

But unlike you, my towing need is going to be way less than what I do with my diesel dually.

I will be towing a 25' 7,000lb trailer and a waverunner. At least that is the plan. I like towing this trailer with a dually truck. The wide back end acts like sway control. I just hook and go. No weight distribution, no sway contol.

My knee jerk reaction to your needs. It will be a stretch for any 1/2 ton truck. You might not be happy. I am thinking you will need a 3/4 ton truck to be happy. Ram makes a 6.4 litre engine, Ford uses a 6.2 litre engine and Chevy a 6.0 litre engine.

You already have the dually same as I do. I do not care if I drive the dually to tow the tiny waverunner or not. I am going to wait for a sweet deal. Just keep the dually and continue to do all the driving until all the new 1/2 ton trucks are out.

Oh, I give the Eco-boost 3.5litre engine two thumbs up. Agree, Ford is too busy putting it in lots of other vehicles to put it in a motorhome.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote