Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2017, 07:59 PM   #15

I was delivering a motorhome and it had some sort of sensor on the front windshield. It would cancel the cruise control if it thought it was too close to another vehicle. It was especially annoying because it would cut out when I changed lanes to pass another vehicle. It takes those Cummins some time to come back up to speed. Never did figure out how to disable it.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2017, 05:39 AM   #16

What’s the best distance to move back to the travel lane?

A football field. I’m not exaggerating so much as giving a realistic picture.

Big truck stop distance is easily 700’.

Six seconds separation Is a minimum.

Well more than 100’, and 200’ is okay if still accelerating away from the big truck.

Truthfully, RVers are pretty well the worst drivers —as a class — on the highway.

Don’t know their own stopping distance (never tested) and drive as if solo.

Most of all, have no understanding of AVERAGE mph. A higher travel speed involves more lane changes, more steering corrections, and more throttle use.

Staying beneath governed truck traffic barely changes the AVERAGE and cuts risk substantially.

DOESN’T increase travel time in any meaningful way.

It’s engine hours into distance. Set the cruise for 67-mph and find out you’ve done no better than 58-mph. The lower the set speed from there, the closer to the true mph over that day’s trip.

Traffic volume determines average mph. Back off, avoid lane-changing and arrive relaxed.

What!? You needed more time with the TV channel changer?

Rednax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 09:57 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowpie1 View Post
I know that many have issues with semi trucks on the road, keep in mind, many of them are governed at 62-65 mph. You get two of them side by side and a long, slow process of passing, it is the fault of the driver on the right. The right lane truck should slow a little to let the other truck on around and not impede traffic. But most drivers will run the truck on the speed governor and are not about to back off for anyone and you end up with a 10 mile "turtle race" going on, ticking everyone off. There are even some idiots who have a governed truck at 65 mph, but will run 60-62 until another 65 mph governed truck starts to pass, and then speed up to make it so the passing truck cannot get around easily. I see it every day as a commercial driver with over 5 million miles under my wheels. I typically run around 62 and when I pass another truck will bump it up a little to get on around. When they try this little game with me, I make them eat dust. I have an 18 speed in front of 2.64 diff drive axles. In top gear at 1600 RPM, I would be doing over 100 mph. I typically run in 16th, direct drive, since it is more fuel efficient. 1500 in 16th is 65 mph on my semi. The truck has never been in top gear. Would have to be doing over 80 mph to make that shift.

But given that it takes a lot longer to get a 80,000 lb truck stopped than a lighter vehicle, pulling back over in front of them too soon is not good for a long life expectancy. And an especially bad practice on a down grade. Unfortunately, the trucking sector has really gone down hill in terms of driver quality and courtesy. It has almost become an every man for himself mentality and everyone else be damned.
Excellent point. I've never understood why, under normal conditions, the semi being passed doesn't click his cruise control down a couple of knots.
I do when a semi, RV, or even a car is passing me with little overtake. It only takes a tap on the cruise control to slow a mph. 2 clicks is 2 mph.
Or if I'm passing a semi/RV I'll push on the gas pedal and speed up a little. Don't have to even touch the cruise control, it will settle back down when you take your foot off the gas.
I wish more people actually knew how their cruise control system actually works.
Old 12-24-2017, 10:52 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
I wish more people actually knew how their cruise control system actually works.
+1 for this^^

Each click on the + or - is one mph. It's so easy to just click it up a couple when passing, or click down a couple when being passed.

Or those who for some unfathomable reason refuse to use the cruise, pass you and then slow down so that you have to back off just to keep from running over them. If you can't keep a fairly constant speed with your right foot, then please use the blessed cruise control.
RPreeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 11:36 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPreeb View Post
+1 for this^^

Each click on the + or - is one mph. It's so easy to just click it up a couple when passing, or click down a couple when being passed.

Or those who for some unfathomable reason refuse to use the cruise, pass you and then slow down so that you have to back off just to keep from running over them. If you can't keep a fairly constant speed with your right foot, then please use the blessed cruise control.
Oh man, you hit my road rage button, what you described above is the one thing ( well actually there are a few more) that drives me nuts, drivers who cannot maintain a constant speed. The three best automotive inventions, cruise control, heated seats and the windshield.
engine103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 11:55 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by engine103 View Post
Oh man, you hit my road rage button, what you described above is the one thing ( well actually there are a few more) that drives me nuts, drivers who cannot maintain a constant speed. The three best automotive inventions, cruise control, heated seats and the windshield.
Now your going to ruffle the feathers of those who think that speeding downhill and slowing down to avoid downshifts, going up them, is a better way to drive.

I've had them pass me numerous times, only to pass then going up hill. I call them Yo-Yo drivers.

I always thought throttles should control vehicle speed, not engine speed. Then they wouldn't have to move their foot while climbing a hill.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 12:04 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Now your going to ruffle the feathers of those who think that speeding downhill and slowing down to avoid downshifts, going up them, is a better way to drive.

I've had them pass me numerous times, only to pass then going up hill. I call them Yo-Yo drivers.

I always thought throttles should control vehicle speed, not engine speed. Then they wouldn't have to move their foot while climbing a hill.
Hills are different. That's why I said under normal conditions.
A lot of car drivers don't even know that they can use the gas pedal to accelerate without ever touching their cruise control and it will then settle back down to their selected speed once they let off the gas.
Old 12-24-2017, 12:17 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandflea View Post
Just a heads up
The newer big rigs, 2012 and up, have a critter called a 'proximity sensor' on the nose, the idea was to keep the truck 3-5 seconds behind whatever is in front, thus giving more braking time and avoid accidents, well that is good in theory, HOWEVER in reality when something, car, truck, RV, etc passes and cuts back in too close the computer applies the rigs brakes, and the driver has NO control to over ride it, which can cause a lot of mayhem behind it.

When passing a big rig give about 2 to 3 truck lengths distance before moving back into that lane. If you and the driver can communicate by radio, lights, etc it helps, the driver will let you know when it's safe to come back over. when starting your pass, change lanes and flash your headlights at the driver, pass as quickly as possible, use your turn signals, and the driver should flash his when it's safe for you to change back. Most new drivers haven't learned this, but most all the old hands do it. A quick flicker of the tail lights thanks that driver. Try to maintain as much room as you can in front of the rig.

Many of the newer cars and pickups have the same setup, but don't apply the brakes, but set off alarms.

If you drive in the mountains, especially the Rockies, and the chain laws are in effect, PLEASE GIVE EXTRA ROOM AROUND THE CHAINUP STATIONS, AND EMERGENCY PERSONNEL, many are on the ground installing equipment. For your safety and theirs, BE VERY ALERT FOR PEOPLE ON FOOT AND LAYING ON THE GROUND.
THANK YOU ALL, BE SAFE, BE CAREFUL.

I try to practice this, but a trucker thought I was giving them clearance to pull out. At night, I put my High Beams on when parallel to them, pass and signal to pull in. Not all commercial truckers are courteous and reciprocate. 🚍🤠
Old 12-24-2017, 12:40 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Over the years I always flashed my lights at trucks when passing and they usually would flash me when I put my turn signal on to move back in front of them. And if a truck was signaling to pull over in front of me I'd flash my lights to let them know he had cleared and could move in. They would usually then give a quick thank you flash after making the change. I've noticed in the last few years that behavior is now a rarity. Very unfortunate.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 10:33 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
Over the years I always flashed my lights at trucks when passing and they usually would flash me when I put my turn signal on to move back in front of them. And if a truck was signaling to pull over in front of me I'd flash my lights to let them know he had cleared and could move in. They would usually then give a quick thank you flash after making the change. I've noticed in the last few years that behavior is now a rarity. Very unfortunate.
jt
Yeah, it is not as common as in past times. Lots of commercial drivers that don't have a sense of history and road courtesy nowadays. Some large carriers are pushing their drivers to ignore doing this sort of courtesy. Just like fewer and fewer people talk on CB and share information as in past times.
Cowpie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 11:29 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGundy View Post
I try to practice this, but a trucker thought I was giving them clearance to pull out. At night, I put my High Beams on when parallel to them, pass and signal to pull in. Not all commercial truckers are courteous and reciprocate. 🚍🤠
And that will win you a set of high beams that are about three feet off the ground. All you are doing is blinding the driver. The same thing that a lot of drivers now flash their high beams to let a trucker know to move over, all you do is blind them.

In the day you turned off your headlights to let them know to move over. But on a lot of the newer semis you can not turn off the headlights when the parking brakes are released.

And as far as the radar applying the brakes on a semi, it will slow it from 65 to under 45 in a heartbeat and the driver cannot override it.

And the reason many of the larger trucking companies do not want their driver "signaling" other driver is what if the rear tractor singles it's OK to move over just as race car driver in a Honda decides it's time to whip around the rear of the trailer? Guess who is also going to be in court for telling the other driver it was OK to move over.

Driving anything is not how it used to be, no courtesy and everyone has to get in front, no matter what.
Old 12-25-2017, 07:27 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue74 View Post
And that will win you a set of high beams that are about three feet off the ground. All you are doing is blinding the driver. The same thing that a lot of drivers now flash their high beams to let a trucker know to move over, all you do is blind them.

In the day you turned off your headlights to let them know to move over. But on a lot of the newer semis you can not turn off the headlights when the parking brakes are released.

And as far as the radar applying the brakes on a semi, it will slow it from 65 to under 45 in a heartbeat and the driver cannot override it.

And the reason many of the larger trucking companies do not want their driver "signaling" other driver is what if the rear tractor singles it's OK to move over just as race car driver in a Honda decides it's time to whip around the rear of the trailer? Guess who is also going to be in court for telling the other driver it was OK to move over.

Driving anything is not how it used to be, no courtesy and everyone has to get in front, no matter what.
We are in a "me first" society. All too often, I catch up with the guy who just 'had' to pass. Safe Travels. 🚍🤠
Old 12-25-2017, 09:06 AM   #27

Another thing truckers do that drives me nuts is the drag racing mergers.
I see a semi on the entrance ramp and get in the left lane so he can enter the freeway. Then it's like he is at the drag strip and he accelerates as fast as he can up to my speed.
So now we are withing 1-2 mph and I'm stuck in the left lane either very slowly passing him or he is very slowly passing me and everyone behind me is pissed.
It would be nice if they would let me quickly pass him so I can get back over in the left lane.
Old 12-26-2017, 07:49 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
Another thing truckers do that drives me nuts is the drag racing mergers.
I see a semi on the entrance ramp and get in the left lane so he can enter the freeway. Then it's like he is at the drag strip and he accelerates as fast as he can up to my speed.
So now we are withing 1-2 mph and I'm stuck in the left lane either very slowly passing him or he is very slowly passing me and everyone behind me is pissed.
It would be nice if they would let me quickly pass him so I can get back over in the left lane.
They are not drag racing you. All they are trying to do is get up to as safe of a merge speed as they can. If you want to "get quickly past him" use your right foot. Add a couple of MPH and you will accomplish what you wish. The big trucks are governed for the most part. You on the other hand are not.