Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2018, 04:04 PM   #127

[QUOTE=6x16inside;4062995]If I am not in a hurry, yes otherwise I go around them on the right if it is safe to do so legal or not.
Same as when they are in an exit only lane and slowly ride it up to the front to cut in to the backed up traffic. THAT is my exit lane to MY home and you'd best mooove! LOL

I got my license at 16 in 86 and have had over 10 wrecks in car and MC both and exactly 2 were my fault so I must be doing more than half right at how I feel is the correct way to drive. And people didn't use to do the things they are doing of late (GPS, cellphones, dialing up an IPOD, etc.). Used to be inattentiveness was dialing the radio knob or trying to read or refold a map, LOL
---------------------------------'-----------------------------

over ten accidents? you might want to consider a defensive driving course
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2018, 04:11 PM   #128

Monaco Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I have an ex wife that never had an accident but I lost count on how many she caused. OKC driving is no big deal just some inconvenience. I used to be a truck driver, and I like you.
engine103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 09:00 AM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by khuffmanjr View Post
So I feel like you didn't read my whole post back there, but I'll respond.

I'm pretty confident a commercial driver with 80000lbs of truck and trailer will not hit me intentionally when they know for a fact that they will be at fault (or even if they won't be at fault!). But I wouldn't put them in that situation. As I said, further in my last post, I will make way for them. I always have, and I always will.

Ken

I run a smoothbore tanker and rarely enter an Interstate, even empty, at above 35-mph. 25 isn’t unusual.

The driver entering must ALWAYS yield. If that means over onto the shoulder, then that’s the only alternative.

If one enters an Interstate less than about 350’ ahead of a big truck and a wreck ensues; it’s the fault of the entrant.

ROW does confer more than what most think is adequate: “slipping into the gap”. The vehicle with ROW shall not have to change lanes or slow.
Rednax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 09:04 AM   #130

Big rig passing

Quote:
Originally Posted by sejac55 View Post
Some states? More like every state. And ignored in every state.

Moving back into the travel lane ahead of a big truck is consistently 120’ for those who seem to otherwise be average.

If we’re at 60-mph, it’s too close. 200’ should be the goal.

Walk this off behind your RV. Mark it and observe from drivers seat.

And use it as well to enter the passing lane to go around.
Old 03-01-2018, 09:10 AM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdoorider View Post
Also when entering a freeway, one should be looking ahead and adjust his merge speed so he slots right in. Like I said I move over when I can but when I can't darn right I'm maintaining my speed. We can't speed 105000 up then slow down over and over, only if it's critical. Autos are light and can slow or take off on a dime leaving me there to take 5min to get back rolling. If course someone towing a big RV should be given special consideration.

I’d like for you and others to re-think this. Especially with an RV.

Moving left to accommodate entering traffic = bad habit.

For traffic struggling to get to speed, a little different. BUT! Today’s big trucks are rocket ships in comparison to those of 1990 and earlier.

Rarely if ever the need.

The habit translates into mindlessly cutting off the braking distance and vision of those in the left lane.

And it’s no courtesy. Not any more. It’s just a bad habit.
Old 03-01-2018, 09:16 AM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
I'm towing a Honda. Not supposed to go over 65 and I'm probably violating that by a couple of mph.
I guess truckers just think because they are "working", they own the road.
I'm doing the trucker a favor by letting him in. Of course he would probably just force his way in anyway.

Commercial vehicles repay society’s investment. You’re driving around wasting gasoline, by comparison.

The dimensions of the road are ALL with big trucks in mind. Not cars. Not RVs.

And, no, you’re under no obligation to brake, change lanes or do anything else. He’s held to a higher standard than you.

You should run with headlights on. Hit high beams if you sense problem with merge.

I sure don’t give up ROW in a lane. It all goes wrong from there.
Old 03-01-2018, 09:22 AM   #133

Big rig passing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theunz View Post
It doesn't have anything to do with who's working or not, or even who's in a hurry or not. When you impede the flow of traffic it causes other drivers to drive in an unsafe manor. Right or wrong, it's just human nature! Speed up and move over.

Worst driver of the day award.

When you fail to maintain adequate space around your vehicle, you failed in a basic manner.

Pay attention to this:

Jammed up behind someone slower? Vehicles just ahead and behind? Next to you.? You’ve screwed up.

Polish the mantel and showcase your award.

Classic “too fast for conditions “.

Here’s your pro training in a nutshell: Traffic volume dictates average speed (engine hours divided into distance). Vehicle spacing is the control.

Repeat that until it’s learned.

What the speed limit is or isn’t is only a guideline. Only potential.

Don’t worry. On today’s highway, you’re typical.

But you’ll never, ever, carry a member of my family with you. You couldn’t be trusted with a firearm, either. Same principle applies.

Pay attention to the patterns. With a big truck or an RV ahead the morons twill pass and slow. And others will join them. A pack. Both lanes.

Watch for it. Your future is behind you. In your mirrors.

One manages this problem by cancelling cruise and dropping off by 10-mph. Not 5. Takes too damn long.

Until that pack is MORE than 700-feet ahead of you - and visibly accelerating away — pace them from back there, and then re-engage Cruise.

Cancelling cruise is your new good habit to learn.

A day of cancelling cruise is the norm.

You’ll find a large gap normally behind you. If you’re doing this well. But the morons can’t collect video game points if they don’t pass you. And, if no one is out ahead of you, they’ll slow.

Don’t try arguing. Prove it to yourself. Average mph on that trip is the thing. It won’t be any where near your cruise control set speed unless you are on the pretty much non-existent deserted Interstate.

Second proof is total braking distance of your rig. Full stop, from highway speed. What’s that number?

Third proof is emergency slalom speed. What’s the highest and your rig stays upright? Double lane change around a stopped vehicle?

Get back to us afterwards.

Other traffic is a fact. Not a hindrance.

And when you pass the slower vehicle, keep more than five mph above their speed even if that means you’re “speeding” until you’ve opened a gap of a quarter-mile or better.

Oh, but you might be caught for speeding?

Negates that pass, doesn’t it, junior?

If you want “common sense” (reasoning) that’s how it works.

Space first. Always.

Leaving a small town on a four lane US or state highway? The morons are all champing at the bit to hit 70 again. A pack that will stay together thirty miles or more.

Just ease along below the limit until they’re out of sight.

Re-engage cruise.
Old 03-01-2018, 09:26 AM   #134

[QUOTE=Monacoach;4063273]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6x16inside View Post
If I am not in a hurry, yes otherwise I go around them on the right if it is safe to do so legal or not.
Same as when they are in an exit only lane and slowly ride it up to the front to cut in to the backed up traffic. THAT is my exit lane to MY home and you'd best mooove! LOL

I got my license at 16 in 86 and have had over 10 wrecks in car and MC both and exactly 2 were my fault so I must be doing more than half right at how I feel is the correct way to drive. And people didn't use to do the things they are doing of late (GPS, cellphones, dialing up an IPOD, etc.). Used to be inattentiveness was dialing the radio knob or trying to read or refold a map, LOL
---------------------------------'-----------------------------

over ten accidents? you might want to consider a defensive driving course

[emoji106]
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 12:26 PM   #135

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdoorider View Post
You cant explain it to these people, remember they are just four wheelers in disguise and probably got there license in Oregon, worst of the worst.

(Popcorn)
Great point about Oregon drivers. I tend to take that a little personal but since most of them are now transplants from states making up the rules as they go, I'll let it go.
What I have seen in this thread is a lot of great drivers telling about how bad other drivers are and giving a lot of driving advise as they see it. I wonder if some of them aren't talking about each other. Face it we all make mistakes and you can only control what you do.
Rv drivers drive passenger cars most of the time. They are not a class of driver.
Truck drivers are paid to get from point A to point B. Just because they log a lot of miles does not make them better or more knowledgeable drivers. On the contrary, driving habits bad and good become more ingrained.
I would hate to be anywhere close so some that are posting when on the road. They seem to have road rage just thinking about it. Keep a cool head and mind yourself. Everyone will end up better off.
The original post gave some information that is good to know. Take it for what it is worth.
gravelroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 01:04 PM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednax View Post
I’d like for you and others to re-think this. Especially with an RV.

Moving left to accommodate entering traffic = bad habit.

For traffic struggling to get to speed, a little different. BUT! Today’s big trucks are rocket ships in comparison to those of 1990 and earlier.

Rarely if ever the need.

The habit translates into mindlessly cutting off the braking distance and vision of those in the left lane.

And it’s no courtesy. Not any more. It’s just a bad habit.
Every time I travel through a larger populated city that has multiple on/off ramps on the freeway I almost always see truckers in the middle lane of a 3 lane freeway. Those guys drive for a living and it would seem to me that they have a better idea of whats needed to be safe.
There are other circumstances that require different driving habits but for the most part thats what I see.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 04:51 PM   #137

Big rig passing

Interstates thru metro areas often restrict big trucks from the inside lane. Lane One.

Thus Lanes Two and Three become the “thru lanes” for commercial traffic.

Remember to disntinguish between local versus long distance traffic. The locals are using daycabs. Often shorter and lighter trailers. Home every night and VERY aware of what lane to be in, etc.

In contrast, the guys with sleepers and long trailers may not be so familiar. May need to move at last moment. Be prepared for it.

It’s no mistake that in places with considerable manufacturing, locals are more considerate to truckers. At a highway split they anticipate. And help.

In contrast, the more white collar, the worse it is. Dallas is bad, but Atlanta is worse.

Worst of all is Washington DC.

In those places, the locals speed up to try and prevent my getting in front of them.

Which I enjoy. My signal to lane change goes on when it’s safe to do so.

I’m not asking permission. I’m informing.

Ever try to scoot on ahead of a big truck? At any time or for any reason?

Don’t.

There’s just no upside to being on the wrong side.

Ever.

You’re in hilly terrain and that pesky big truck keeps passing you? And then he slows on the ascent?

Then step on it and get out a mile or more ahead.
Old 03-01-2018, 04:54 PM   #138

Big rig passing

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravelroad View Post
Great point about Oregon drivers. I tend to take that a little personal but since most of them are now transplants from states making up the rules as they go, I'll let it go.
What I have seen in this thread is a lot of great drivers telling about how bad other drivers are and giving a lot of driving advise as they see it. I wonder if some of them aren't talking about each other. Face it we all make mistakes and you can only control what you do.
Rv drivers drive passenger cars most of the time. They are not a class of driver.
Truck drivers are paid to get from point A to point B. Just because they log a lot of miles does not make them better or more knowledgeable drivers. On the contrary, driving habits bad and good become more ingrained.
I would hate to be anywhere close so some that are posting when on the road. They seem to have road rage just thinking about it. Keep a cool head and mind yourself. Everyone will end up better off.
The original post gave some information that is good to know. Take it for what it is worth.

So why was it you posted? You’ve also got a few million accident & citation-free miles?

I’ll admit to an accident. Jerry Ford was PreZ. And the last of only a few citations when Ray Gun was in the White House. A few million since then.

Believe me that driving a big truck will suss out every bad habit you have.

Which you carry over to driving an RV.

Commuting miles count for nothing
Old 03-01-2018, 05:11 PM   #139

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
So why was it you posted?
I guess I just couldn't help myself. When I see too much self righteousness at one time, I have to say something.
I felt it might be better to tone it down a little before someone gets out a placard and starts marching.
Old 03-01-2018, 06:02 PM   #140

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
So why was it you posted? You’ve also got a few million accident & citation-free miles?

I’ll admit to an accident. Jerry Ford was PreZ. And the last of only a few citations when Ray Gun was in the White House. A few million since then.

Believe me that driving a big truck will suss out every bad habit you have.

Which you carry over to driving an RV.

Commuting miles count for nothing
Wow I am impressed.