Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2017, 12:10 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Big rig passing

Just a heads up
The newer big rigs, 2012 and up, have a critter called a 'proximity sensor' on the nose, the idea was to keep the truck 3-5 seconds behind whatever is in front, thus giving more braking time and avoid accidents, well that is good in theory, HOWEVER in reality when something, car, truck, RV, etc passes and cuts back in too close the computer applies the rigs brakes, and the driver has NO control to over ride it, which can cause a lot of mayhem behind it.

When passing a big rig give about 2 to 3 truck lengths distance before moving back into that lane. If you and the driver can communicate by radio, lights, etc it helps, the driver will let you know when it's safe to come back over. when starting your pass, change lanes and flash your headlights at the driver, pass as quickly as possible, use your turn signals, and the driver should flash his when it's safe for you to change back. Most new drivers haven't learned this, but most all the old hands do it. A quick flicker of the tail lights thanks that driver. Try to maintain as much room as you can in front of the rig.

Many of the newer cars and pickups have the same setup, but don't apply the brakes, but set off alarms.

If you drive in the mountains, especially the Rockies, and the chain laws are in effect, PLEASE GIVE EXTRA ROOM AROUND THE CHAINUP STATIONS, AND EMERGENCY PERSONNEL, many are on the ground installing equipment. For your safety and theirs, BE VERY ALERT FOR PEOPLE ON FOOT AND LAYING ON THE GROUND.
THANK YOU ALL, BE SAFE, BE CAREFUL.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2017, 10:06 AM   #2
Director of Partnerships

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Interesting and helpful. Thanks.
Old 12-21-2017, 11:28 AM   #3

If it causes 'mayhem' down the line then isn't everybody following too close?
How hard do the brakes apply?
anti lock hard?
I bet they apply firmly and only after a alarm .
hone eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 11:38 AM   #4

Interesting. I guess that would explain why in some states its illegal to cut in front of a big rig too soon after passing.
Old 12-21-2017, 11:56 AM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandflea View Post

When passing a big rig give about 2 to 3 truck lengths distance before moving back into that lane.
Sounds great in theory ...... But, you know what I can see happening? Any cars that have gotten up behind you while you are passing will decide you aren't getting out of their way fast enough, and will decide to pass you on the inside. Then the next will follow him/her and so on.
Seen it many times !!
Old 12-21-2017, 12:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Sounds great in theory ...... But, you know what I can see happening? Any cars that have gotten up behind you while you are passing will decide you aren't getting out of their way fast enough, and will decide to pass you on the inside. Then the next will follow him/her and so on.
Seen it many times !!
Yep. And on a fairly busy interstate, me at 65 in a 75 zone is going to be taking longer just to get around the semi. Adding an additional couple of truck lengths to that is going to inspire those following to do stupid things to pass me. I usually try to wait until there is a good clear space behind before I start a pass, but that isn't always possible. I will at times run my speed up past my TT tire rating just to get the pass done and be out of the way as efficiently as possible.

If semi's are going to be that much of a traffic hazard when being passed, then this is one safety "improvement" that needs to be revisited.
RPreeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 04:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Seen it many times !!
Absolutely right on. If you leave any reasonable space, the idiots will stuff their cars in it.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 05:53 PM   #8

When passing a semi I usually am passing in the left lane. I usually put on my right blinker and the semi usually flashes it’s headlights and then I usually merge back into the right lane. Been doing that for years. Never had any problems. Old or new technology.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 06:02 PM   #9

<yawn>
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 06:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkyfork View Post
Interesting. I guess that would explain why in some states its illegal to cut in front of a big rig too soon after passing.
And who draws this invisible line that separates too soon from adequate?
Old 12-21-2017, 07:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
And who draws this invisible line that separates too soon from adequate?
I didn't write the law.
Old 12-22-2017, 09:26 AM   #12

My 2014 Cascadia does not apply the brake, just beeps at me, my last Pete did apply them, and I didn't like it. It is also getting much less common for drivers to flash you back in or acknowledge you when you do that it almost surprises me when it happens. I have been an OTR driver for 46 years with 5 million miles and more and more 4 wheelers don't know how to drive in the vicinity of a big rig.
renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 01:05 PM   #13

When towing I drive the speed limit up to 70. If there are other vehicles in the left lane when I pass, I increase my speed so as not to impede them. It's common courtesy - something sorely lacking in drivers these days! On our recent 12K mile trip I can probably count on my fingers and toes the number of semi drivers who flashed their lights to indicate that it was safe for me to pull in front of them after I passed or flashed their tail lights to say thanks after I flashed my headlights for them.

The number of idiots in little low cars who damn near took the front bumper off of my truck when they cut back in front of me, though, were legion. Between the thick A pillars on my truck and my mirrors, I don't see them until they're into the middle of their stupid move. No concept of courtesy or physics. I hope I'm never the demonstrator of what happens to a 3,000lb car when a 30,000lb truck & 5th wheel hits it at 70mph!

Happy trails,
Old 12-23-2017, 07:03 PM   #14

I know that many have issues with semi trucks on the road, keep in mind, many of them are governed at 62-65 mph. You get two of them side by side and a long, slow process of passing, it is the fault of the driver on the right. The right lane truck should slow a little to let the other truck on around and not impede traffic. But most drivers will run the truck on the speed governor and are not about to back off for anyone and you end up with a 10 mile "turtle race" going on, ticking everyone off. There are even some idiots who have a governed truck at 65 mph, but will run 60-62 until another 65 mph governed truck starts to pass, and then speed up to make it so the passing truck cannot get around easily. I see it every day as a commercial driver with over 5 million miles under my wheels. I typically run around 62 and when I pass another truck will bump it up a little to get on around. When they try this little game with me, I make them eat dust. I have an 18 speed in front of 2.64 diff drive axles. In top gear at 1600 RPM, I would be doing over 100 mph. I typically run in 16th, direct drive, since it is more fuel efficient. 1500 in 16th is 65 mph on my semi. The truck has never been in top gear. Would have to be doing over 80 mph to make that shift.

But given that it takes a lot longer to get a 80,000 lb truck stopped than a lighter vehicle, pulling back over in front of them too soon is not good for a long life expectancy. And an especially bad practice on a down grade. Unfortunately, the trucking sector has really gone down hill in terms of driver quality and courtesy. It has almost become an every man for himself mentality and everyone else be damned.
Cowpie1 is offline   Reply With Quote