Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2022, 08:26 AM   #29

I have to agree with john1981. You already have both trailer and truck. Juggle the weights to get close and give it a try. Never seen a lawsuit from a 200# overload, not sure it could be proven even is there was a ticket. I like the idea of moving a couple hundred pounds onto a custom rear rack. Have a good welding shop design and build it for you using frame mounting points. I wouldn't be opposed to adding airbags to the truck to level the load if needed. Where is you fresh water tank? How full it is could solve your problem.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2022, 08:40 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtCamper View Post
I have to agree with john1981. You already have both trailer and truck. Juggle the weights to get close and give it a try. Never seen a lawsuit from a 200# overload, not sure it could be proven even is there was a ticket.
if theyre going to sue, itll be for anything. personally, id juggle the weight around some or just run it as is. when i have seen overload situations, theyll usually let you try and resolve it without issuing a citation first if youre close and moving stuff can fix the problem. close is fine if its not over.
john1981 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 09:38 AM   #31

I have seen weights change from one drive on to the next on the same scale . A hundred lbs is nothing ! A little over 10 gallons of fuel or water . I see headlines all the time about RVs being sued for over weight after they have crashed and scattered their 5th all over Gods creation .
Instead of losing sleep over the weight of a child l would worry more about those crappy electric brakes stopping you in time . Put some disc brakes on and you can stop in about half the distance in a panic stop . Then you wonít have to worry about being sued for plowing into someone over those lousy electric brakes .
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 10:01 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Not to start an argument but I always understood that thin tires do better in snow. But a dually can go in the snow as I have seen a lot of small businesses pushing snow with them. Also I have seen a lot of SRW trucks pushing snow.
The whole "DRW's are bad in the snow" is one of those things that gets repeated and gains traction over time (no pun intended). Certainly DRW's are a disadvantage offroad but I'd suggest less than 5% of us actually use our HD tow vehicles for real offroad use.

For snow, there are conditions where singles are better and there are some conditions where DRW's are better but the difference isn't terribly significant compared to limited slip, 4wd, proper tires, etc. etc. Keep in mind that the dually tires are also much narrower than most SRW tires as well. All in all, it's a factor, but a very small one that is almost always overstated. My DRW was a beast in the snow with a LSD, 4wd, new Goodyear Duratracs and some weight in it.

Dave
Old 11-23-2022, 10:12 AM   #33

The OP is concerned or he wouldn't have asked the question. Sure he could run it as is or try to redistribute weight, remove features from his trailer, etc. but if it was me, I'd just buy the right truck and be done with it...but I know I'd be unhappy and I can afford to upgrade the truck. Easy to spend someone else's money, I suppose.

I will admit to running slightly over GVWR on some past rigs and I like to avoid being a hypocrite but if faced with the numbers, I consider the tire ratings most important, followed by the GAWR and then the GVWR/Payload.

Nobody has asked or pointed out the tires yet; Looking at the Goodyear tire chart for 275/70R18 LT tires, they are rated at 3640 lbs which would put him 120 lbs over his max tire load rating .....and while he's only exceeding his GAWR by 170lbs and the GVWR by 700lbs, it's clear to me that his truck is far from ideal. A longer wheelbase and stability from the DRW's are things that have real benefits when towing heavy beyond the stickers.

Trade in and used values are still high.

Dave
Old 11-23-2022, 12:14 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pelletier View Post
The whole "DRW's are bad in the snow" is one of those things that gets repeated and gains traction over time (no pun intended). Certainly DRW's are a disadvantage offroad but I'd suggest less than 5% of us actually use our HD tow vehicles for real offroad use.

For snow, there are conditions where singles are better and there are some conditions where DRW's are better but the difference isn't terribly significant compared to limited slip, 4wd, proper tires, etc. etc. Keep in mind that the dually tires are also much narrower than most SRW tires as well. All in all, it's a factor, but a very small one that is almost always overstated. My DRW was a beast in the snow with a LSD, 4wd, new Goodyear Duratracs and some weight in it.

Dave
It's such a popular fallacy I rarely bother disputing it anymore. I've also used my dually to "unstuck" my plow truck and other folks. The dually runs Nokian Rotiiva A/T tires that are snow rated as I didn't want to bother with 12 tires for a vehicle that rarely drives more than 1000km/winter. It'll go through most anything, foot deep snow, be it fresh powder or semi wet heavy virgin snow.

I'll also unstuck the dually with my 1994 Suburban K1500 running Nokian Hakka 2LT with factory studs. It's a beast as well in low range.

I know for fact either truck seems to go through snow and ice much easier than any Ford truck. I think the locking axles on most Ford trucks leave much to be desired. Maybe you'll telll me different with your new F350.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 01:33 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
It's such a popular fallacy I rarely bother disputing it anymore. I can relate

I know for fact either truck seems to go through snow and ice much easier than any Ford truck. I think the locking axles on most Ford trucks leave much to be desired. Maybe you'll telll me different with your new F350.
Actually the DRW trucks don't come with locking axles, only the SRW's; the F350DRW, F450 and F550 have Dana M300's with a LSD. ....so it's basically identical to my Ram was as far as traction goes. I'm currently running the factory Michelin LTX M/S2's which are good wet, decent on ice but only OK on light snow.....I'll be replacing them with another set of Duratracs next fall. Like you, I'm not buying 6 dedicated winters on rims for my truck and I have a set of Nokians on my Audi SQ8 for winter highway travel so we take that if we are going on a winter trip now.

Dave
Old 11-23-2022, 01:44 PM   #36

When I had the F-450 it had the snow plow package as well as the camper package. But before it would snow I was in Florida being a good snowbird. There were a lot of other dually's in Florida as people from Michigan and Minnesota were also snowbirds.

I am old enough to remember having winter tires mounted on miss matched wheels that were used for the 4 winter months that Pennsylvania seemed to have.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 07:09 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pelletier View Post
The OP is concerned or he wouldn't have asked the question. Sure he could run it as is or try to redistribute weight, remove features from his trailer, etc. but if it was me, I'd just buy the right truck and be done with it...but I know I'd be unhappy and I can afford to upgrade the truck. Easy to spend someone else's money, I suppose.

I will admit to running slightly over GVWR on some past rigs and I like to avoid being a hypocrite but if faced with the numbers, I consider the tire ratings most important, followed by the GAWR and then the GVWR/Payload.

Nobody has asked or pointed out the tires yet; Looking at the Goodyear tire chart for 275/70R18 LT tires, they are rated at 3640 lbs which would put him 120 lbs over his max tire load rating .....and while he's only exceeding his GAWR by 170lbs and the GVWR by 700lbs, it's clear to me that his truck is far from ideal. A longer wheelbase and stability from the DRW's are things that have real benefits when towing heavy beyond the stickers.

Trade in and used values are still high.

Dave
the op has bought the wrong trailer too from what i can see.
john1981 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 08:07 AM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Unless I had money to burn Iíd think a bit. Especially being that close on the weight numbers Used prices on the trade in market are crashing daily ( have you looked in the past couple weeks?) while dealing on new hasnít yet become a thing. Thus , a bloodbath to trade right now, but I guess that doesnít matter to many here.
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 08:22 AM   #39

So much “just go with it” bad advice!
Do you really want to head to Alaska with overloaded tires??
Do yourself a big favor and get a. One ton DRW you will like towing so much better!
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 08:54 AM   #40
laj

Yup, donít worry bout the 12-15k its gonna cost you, its just lunch money🤪
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 10:17 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
The OP will have to decide; it's his money and his comfort level and safety. Personally, I wouldn't tow his trailer with his current truck and I'd pay to upgrade......but you don't HAVE to buy a dually that costs more than his current truck either - lots of used ones out there for the same price or LESS than his truck is worth. The money issue is a red herring IMO buy whatever dually you can afford.

Dave
Old 11-24-2022, 11:46 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
That is just a swag on your part, used truck trade ins are high also. The OP is already over GVWR, rear GAWR, and tire rating, and looking at adding more weight to the 5er and TV.
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote