Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2022, 11:53 AM   #71

This is the best advice in the above post. So what you can tow 25,000lbs but only have 1,500 lb cargo capacity. Agree with look at this sticker. It is really what you need to use.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2022, 11:59 AM   #72

Putting heavier axles under the trailer, and upgrading the truck with heavier tires and airbags and possibly a heavier hitch would be cheaper than buying a new truck. It's not about the numbers which no one will look at, it's about safety and driving comfort.
Bearmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 01:00 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Are you saying 'ignorance is bliss'?

That's like putting your head in the sand

I run heavy but when you are over the RAWR/Tire Ratings you NEED to be informed

Running overweight is not a good idea but the few lbs over the op is talking about is not worth 15 pages of talking about. He knew he was going to be close and he is. If he wasn’t going to be happy being close he’s absolutely right … he bought the wrong truck. I would be safe and happy with his weights.
4x4ord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 01:28 PM   #74

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Traction on snow is partially a function of tire/road surface area and not allowing the tires to spin. That just makes water and is like "snow oil". Type of tread rubber and tire pattern are also very important.

Chains of course is a game changer on snow and ice as are studded snow tires. When I lived in serious snow country I just ran studded tires on all four corners. Very few issues then but they do sing on dry roads and may not be legal everywhere. Ten states prohibit studded snow tires: Alabama, Texas, Florida, Maryland (exception five mountain counties), Louisiana, Hawaii, Illinois, Minnesota, Mississippi and Wisconsin. Seasonal restrictions exist in other states.

Semis do pretty well in snow but will still have troubles like any other vehicle when they can not maintain traction.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 02:09 PM   #75
laj

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4ord View Post
Running overweight is not a good idea but the few lbs over the op is talking about is not worth 15 pages of talking about. He knew he was going to be close and he is. If he wasn’t going to be happy being close he’s absolutely right … he bought the wrong truck. I would be safe and happy with his weights.

Perfect sense here. A big cluster over nothing.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 02:23 PM   #76

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
Perfect sense here. A big cluster over nothing.
OP is 170# over RAWR
Tires are 80# shy of being overloaded
Trailer is 180# shy of Axle ratings *course one side is heavier so over on that side

Over Axle/Tire Ratings
Over Trailer axle ratings
And OP is wanting to do more 'upgrades' to trailer

Wrong truck, marginal trailer
Simple math
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 05:24 AM   #77

If I were to update the wheels and tires to support the heavy weight, what would you recommend?
CrazyCamper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 06:17 AM   #78

Quote:
Well one thing to be over GVWR, but also rear GAWR, and tire rating.
Then in the next post someone is talking trailer tires and they won’t run without a 50% reserve in weight rating.
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 06:49 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCamper2 View Post
If I were to update the wheels and tires to support the heavy weight, what would you recommend?
Your trucks 7230 rawr is the lessor of OEM tires/wheels/rear suspension/rear brakes and the axle assy.
Looking at Fleet Ford specs shows tires and wheels will be the lowest rating of a rawr . Axle mfg assys may run in the 9900-10800 lbs range so being a couple of hundred lbs over the truck mfg 7000-7250 rawr sure the hellz won't hurt it.
Check out some of the truck camper forums on rv websites. Those guys know how to safely mod our LDT size trucks,
These folks carry 4k-6k lb truck camper on 350/3500 srw trucks using 19.5" tires/wheels/air bags or other rear suspension help...and do it safely.

Upgrade one component of a rawr (tires)and others (wheels/rear spring pack) may need help also.
JIMNLIN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 07:15 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMNLIN View Post
Your trucks 7230 rawr is the lessor of OEM tires/wheels/rear suspension/rear brakes and the axle assy.
Looking at Fleet Ford specs shows tires and wheels will be the lowest rating of a rawr . Axle mfg assys may run in the 9900-10800 lbs range so being a couple of hundred lbs over the truck mfg 7000-7250 rawr sure the hellz won't hurt it.
Check out some of the truck camper forums on rv websites. Those guys know how to safely mod our LDT size trucks,
These folks carry 4k-6k lb truck camper on 350/3500 srw trucks using 19.5" tires/wheels/air bags or other rear suspension help...and do it safely.

Upgrade one component of a rawr (tires)and others (wheels/rear spring pack) may need help also.
Your "advice" is downright dangerous. No one has shown any SRW axle rated in the 9000lb range, although they seem adamant to say so. No axle manufacturer has put that spec out AFAIK.

Anyone putting a 4000-6000lb camper on any SRW truck IS dangerous. There is zero stability with those top heavy things. I even hate contractors tall boxes on SRW trucks. Feels like it'll flip on its side at every roundabout.

19.5" tires run really rough and harsh, and they aren't cheap. Once all mods are done the truck costs more than a DRW and runs 1/2 as well.
kdauto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 08:39 AM   #81

KDAuto is right
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 09:11 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
Anyone putting a 4000-6000lb camper on any SRW truck IS dangerous. There is zero stability with those top heavy things. I even hate contractors tall boxes on SRW trucks. Feels like it'll flip on its side at every roundabout.

19.5" tires run really rough and harsh, and they aren't cheap. Once all mods are done the truck costs more than a DRW and runs 1/2 as well.
Ditto;

- I am a truck camper guy; I've had three of them and hauled them on several different trucks. My last camper was a Bigfoot 30C10.11 and weighed in at just under 5,000 lbs. I carried it on a Ram 3500 Dually CC 4x4 Diesel with custom HD overloads, Rancho adjustable shocks and aftermarket sway bar. Previous setup was the same suspension mods on a SRW Ram (same specs otherwise) and a smaller Bigfoot 25C10.6 which was 1,200 lbs less and the DRW truck handled the larger camper MUCH better.

Many "Expedition truck" guys buy a 350DRW or 450 and convert to "super singles" but the cost of the tires, rims and related suspension mods is around $20k. https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/...super-singles/ It's very cool but unless you are carrying a camper and offroading with it, it makes no sense and a DRW would still be superior on pavement.

You can also do a highway type 19.5" tire conversion and suspension mods but it is still a big ticket item and still won't give you the stability of a dually.

2 cents,
Dave
Old 11-28-2022, 07:42 PM   #83

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
Your "advice" is downright dangerous. No one has shown any SRW axle rated in the 9000lb range, although they seem adamant to say so. No axle manufacturer has put that spec out AFAIK.

Lets get some facts straight...My only advice was for the OP to check out truck camper forums if he plans on upgrading tires/etc and tires alone may not work.
Also if you haven't read Dana/AAM/Ford and Ford Sterling axle mfg websites weight specs for their axle assys then enlighten yourself and do your home work. That way you can offer correct advise on axle mfg weight specs.

I personally wouldn't carry anymore weight from a DOT legal perspective above any trucks gawrs but many folks do and do it safely.

Its up to the OP to decide how many mods he needs for another 170 lbs.
JIMNLIN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 12:38 AM   #84

I would feel comfortable towing a little over on my gross axle weight rating so long as the truck wasn’t sitting too nose high. If the truck was pointing nose high I’d add air bags. Going over my rim weight ratings would be of zero concern to me. If pushing my tire ratings was a concern and I wanted a higher level of security I’d install tire pressure and temperature monitoring systems on my truck and trailer tires.
4x4ord is offline   Reply With Quote