Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2021, 07:39 PM   #15

Don't waste your money on new shocks, it won't help. A longer heavier truck will or speeding up or slowing down.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2021, 07:44 AM   #16

I noticed the same thing and bought a Gen-y torsion flex hitch and I think it will help but have only tried it out for about 50 mi so far. I am pulling a 25' Airstream so about 6500 lbs with a F250 diesel on the ball no WDH. My buddy rode with me when I pulled his dual axle flatbed with 6000 lbs of stone and was surprised by how smooth the ride was compared to his 1500.
capt who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 09:37 AM   #17

While towing is the trailer level, or with the front slightly down. Measure the height of the frame of the trailer, front and rear, when parked on a level surface. If the front is even slightly higher, it will do exactly what your talking about.

Slight adjustments on a WDH make a big difference with 1/2 ton trucks/SUV.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 09:39 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammel View Post
Don't waste your money on new shocks, it won't help. A longer heavier truck will or speeding up or slowing down.
Well that's kind of a ridiculous statement..
I may not know travel trailer towing very well (yet) but I do know vehicles!

Like I said before my truck without any trailer attached is a bit of a bouncy ride as it is on these sections of road that are causing me problems while towing too.
New shocks are cheap and they're going to be the first thing I start with. Whether that helps or not who knows a few people in this thread seem to think it'll help..
Current shocks are 8 years old with 150k on em and I due to be replaced anyway!
Dmeyer07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 09:40 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bneukam View Post
While towing is the trailer level, or with the front slightly down. Measure the height of the frame of the trailer, front and rear, when parked on a level surface. If the front is even slightly higher, it will do exactly what your talking about.

Slight adjustments on a WDH make a big difference with 1/2 ton trucks/SUV.
yes the travel trailer is almost perfectly level with the nose slightly lower than the rear.

I spent a day setting the WDH up for my specific truck loaded at full weight like it would be when we're going camping and I'm pretty confident all of my measurements are as good as I can get them.
I'm going to try a little bit of adjustment in either direction to see if that helps or not thanks!
Old 04-01-2021, 12:03 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammel View Post

I tow with a half ton truck. It came from the factory with twin tube Rancho shocks. I replaced them with monotube Bilstein 5100’s and there is much less porpoising than before. Well worth it IMO.
JaycoBm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 08:33 PM   #21

I've read the bilstein 4600 was recommended for stock height trucks where as the 5100 is tailored more towards off road and lifted trucks.
The 5100 is also valved stiffer.

Would you recommend 4600 being softer or 5100 being firmer to help fix my issue discussed in this thread?
Old 04-01-2021, 10:02 PM   #22

If you want a firmer shock the Fox 2.0 is charged at a higher psi than Bilstein.

Had the Bilstein 5100 on a previous truck, now have the Fox 2.0 on my current, and the Fox is a firmer more planted ride.

Since your truck is older you may also want to beef up the leaf springs. How much does your trailer squat your truck w/o the WDH? Much over 2 inches you may want to consider that as well.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 06:46 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bneukam View Post
If you want a firmer shock the Fox 2.0 is charged at a higher psi than Bilstein.

Had the Bilstein 5100 on a previous truck, now have the Fox 2.0 on my current, and the Fox is a firmer more planted ride.

Since your truck is older you may also want to beef up the leaf springs. How much does your trailer squat your truck w/o the WDH? Much over 2 inches you may want to consider that as well.
Good point on the leaf springs! I'll inspect them tonight after work.
My truck rides pretty nice on 99% of the roads just those sections that get bouncy on the hwy suck!
I don't want to go so firm that my daily commute is uncomfortable, I tow my travel trailer about 2 hours one way about 8x a year, so I'd rather have a more pleasurable daily commute I'd you get what I'm saying?
I'm not opposed to stiffer suspension I'd like a bit stiffer just don't wanna go crazy!
Old 04-02-2021, 08:05 AM   #24

Better shocks should improve the problem. Another thing you might consider instead of beefing up the rear leaf springs is to install air bags. That's what I did to one of my 3/4 ton trucks when I owned a gooseneck trailer that was pretty heavy.
Air bags will not increase your load capacity but they will level out your truck when you are loaded.
Let the air back out of them when you are unloaded and you are level again.
Old 04-02-2021, 09:04 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmeyer07 View Post
Good point on the leaf springs! I'll inspect them tonight after work.
My truck rides pretty nice on 99% of the roads just those sections that get bouncy on the hwy suck!
I don't want to go so firm that my daily commute is uncomfortable, I tow my travel trailer about 2 hours one way about 8x a year, so I'd rather have a more pleasurable daily commute I'd you get what I'm saying?
I'm not opposed to stiffer suspension I'd like a bit stiffer just don't wanna go crazy!
I installed SuperSprings on my 2016 F-150 and don't feel they stiffened up the unladen ride at all. Mainly for when I carry our 2 dirt bikes in the bed while towing.
https://www.supersprings.com/products/supersprings/

Have never experienced bounce while towing but my truck is the long bed (163" wheelbase) and trailer a bit shorter 25' (30' total length). Mine is an FX4 so it came with the stiffer "off road" shocks.

I also swirched to 10ply rated tires when I needed tires a few years ago. You have some good ideas to try, good luck chasing this down.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 02:07 PM   #26

4600 will give a good ride and improve towing. A 30' trailer behind a light truck with smoked shocks will bounce on concrete roads. Even if you just put monro gas magnum it should improve what your describing. With 150k on the truck your way over due for shocks anyway.
Old 04-02-2021, 04:24 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc-mark View Post
4600 will give a good ride and improve towing. A 30' trailer behind a light truck with smoked shocks will bounce on concrete roads. Even if you just put monro gas magnum it should improve what your describing. With 150k on the truck your way over due for shocks anyway.
I'm not the original owner so i'm not sure if the shocks have ever been changed TBH, but regardless I just ordered the 4600's for the rear.

Leaf springs look fine, truck sits about 1.5" higher (estimate) than the front and I see no noticeable signs of wear on them, so first things first i'll try the shocks and report back with my findings!