Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2021, 07:10 AM   #1

Brake controller installation

Hi, I have a small SUV with a towing package but no brake controller and only a 4 pin connection. I want to install a brake controller and a 7 pin connection and was wondering what would be the best way to do this.

I know there are wireless controllers and plug and play ones and I think that in some cases all you need for it to work is to have your 7 pin connected to the 12 volt supply. I have no desire to install the entire system myself unless there are ways to do it without running lines all over the car.

Anyway, if anyone has any advice for me I would appreciate it, thank you
nate39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2021, 07:26 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Hi, It would help us to know what Motorhome you have, along with any other info you would like to share. There are so many options we can help you narrow things down with a little more info. Also what type of brake system do you have in the SUV?

If it is something like the Patriot 3 from Blue Ox, you don’t need a wired brake controller in the TV, and no wires for the brakes in between. The braking device in the car being towed receives a signal from the wireless controller in the TV and proportionately applies the brakes. There are a couple of systems like this out there. One more thing to point out is depending on your SUV you MAY need a charge liner from the TV to the toad, so you will have to add a powered 12v line to your wiring harness anyway, so upgrading to a six or seven way plug might be in your future.
Berryfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 10:40 AM   #3

As noted above, what the tow vehicle and what is being towed matters.

Assuming you have a travel trailer connected to a full size car you need to run at least a 12 volt supply line to the 7 pin connector. 10 gauge wire is the minimum. A heavier gauge like 8 gauge will greatly improve charging trailer batteries from the tow vehicle alternator. 7 Pin ground wire also needs to be heavy wire.

I have added a brake controller to a Toyota Solara, a Toyota RAV4, and a Nissan Pathfinder SUV. All of them except the SUV required a brake wire as well. A 7 pin connector also has a "backup light" wire.

Newer systems may make some of the control connections wireless. etrailer.com sells controllers and provides personal advice for individual vehicles and situations.

Each tow vehicle may require different work to be done. The Toyota's required all wires and circuit breakers be installed. The SUV was pre-wired and only a brake controller with a custom connector was required.

SUV's and pickup trucks may have instructions in owner's manual. Cars, minivans, and crossover SUV's may not. Dealers can supply expertise.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 11:01 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I’m not sure because the OP doesn’t say what he is trying to do. But I think he wants to put an electric brake control in his SUV to tow a trailer.

To the OP, unless you tell us what yo are trying to do, folks will just skip past your questions.

I know you understand what is in your mind but we do not.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 11:02 AM   #5

As noted, etrailer.com is a good source for parts and information. They are also good at answering questions before you buy. If you're not into doing the installation, some full service u-haul dealers can do it. If you're buying a TT from a dealer, the dealer may be able to do it.

Not possible to give specific advice without knowing year, make, model, and options of the SUV. But the fact that it's a "small" SUV makes it more likely that it doesn't have any kind of pre-wiring for a 7-way connector and brake controller. I had to wire up my 2010 Toyota Highlander from scratch, even though it has the tow prep package.

See if you can find a forum specific to your vehicle make. There probably are people on such a forum who could tell you what your vehicle requires. ToyotaNation is great for Toyotas.
Old 10-10-2021, 02:18 PM   #6

Thanks for the response. I have an 2017 Ford Escape 2.0 AWD with towing package rated for 3500 lbs. But it only has a 4 pin plug. It has an antisway system built in but that is it. I do not have a camper but am planning on renting one near the place where we plan on doing some sightseeing. All the ones I am looking at require a 7 pin hooked up to a brake controller.

Turns out I have a friend who he and his son install brake controllers as part of their job and they told me they can do for me no problem. But I still need to decided what controller will work best for me and my car. My biggest question is whether there is something that would require running wires all over the engine compartment and back to the cabin, etc.

Thanks for the tip about the heavy duty 12 volt wire; makes sense.
Old 10-10-2021, 06:14 PM   #7

I don't know how those wireless/bluetooth gizmos work, so I can't help you there. But you'll at least need to run a charging wire from the positive battery post back to the plug. And that wire will need a circuit breaker installed in it somewhere near the battery. Unless you don't need to charge the trailer's battery while you're driving, in which case you could forgo the charging wire.

Again, I don't know how the wireless controllers work, but somehow you've got to get power from the battery to the controller, and from the controller back to the brake pin on the plug. And there needs to be a circuit breaker in there somewhere.

So really there's no way around having some added wires in your engine compartment.

All that aside, please carefully assess your towing capacity relative to the trailer you're planning to tow. Ford may claim it can tow 3,500 lbs, but that is probably a stretch. Pay close attention to the tongue weight limit. A trailer that weights 3,500 lb loaded is likely to have a tongue weight of at least 420 lbs, maybe pushing 500. I suspect your Escape can't handle that.

Check this info out: https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/content...scape_Sep7.pdf
Old 10-11-2021, 06:05 AM   #8

thanks, Yes, I am aware that this is not a vehicle made to two things around the country which is why I am renting near my destination. I am also going to keep it well below the 3500 mark. My goal is 3000 or less.

The hitch weight is 350 or less so I will confirm what the camper I want to rent is before renting. but from what I can tell, these light campers will fall into this weight.

This is my first time to use a camper as up to this point we have always used tents so it is an experiment of sorts and I am grateful for anything I can learn before I get on the road.
Old 10-11-2021, 07:44 AM   #9

Electric brake controller Ford Escape

With the Ford Escape, the existing 4 pin connector will provide most of the wires you will need. Wire the new 7 pin to a 4 pin plug and plug into existing 4 pin socket.

The Escape will need additional 10 gauge 12 volt supply with circuit breaker. It goes from 7 pin to the engine compartment and connects to the battery or alternator.

The Escape also needs a brake control wire. It goes from 7 pin to the new brake controller that will be mounted where the driver can reach it while driving. The brake controller itself must be connected to various connectors under the dash. See instructions with the brake controller.

A backup light wire from 7 pin to rear signal light is optional. See Escape instructions for where to connect.

A "proportional" type brake controller is best. You can get cheaper ones, but they will only annoy you while towing. Proportional means the harder you brake, the harder the trailer brake will also brake.

Proportional controllers have two settings. One is the initial braking. It comes "on" when the brake lights come "on". The second comes "on" based on how hard you are stopping. An emergency stop applies full electric braking. A gentil stop applies limited trailer braking.

I like controllers that display the electric brake voltage applied and have two adjustment knobs, one for each of the brake modes.

There are lots of other technologies available today. I have not installed the new ones.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 01:43 PM   #10

Thanks Persistent, good things to know

Tags
brake, controller, install, installation