Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2021, 04:14 PM   #1

Brake malfunction

Hello all

I have a 2015 Jayco White Hawk TT, model 24RKS. The trailer brakes have been an issue for over a year. At times they work well with normal readings at the controller. Other times they seem to grab. It is especially noticeable at low speeds like slowing for a stop. All four brakes assemblies were replaced last year and functioned well for several thousand miles. I have checked power at the plug (good) and power at the controller (good-Tekonsha Primus 10). All traceable grounds look good. TV is a 2010 Dodge RAM 1500. Anyone have similar experiences and how was it solved? Thanks.
d6811j is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2021, 04:25 PM   #2

Just experience tells me you probably have some electrical gremlin. It might even be a software issue.

Look for a TSB on that issue for a Ram truck.

Good luck
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 05:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by d6811j View Post
Hello all

I have a 2015 Jayco White Hawk TT, model 24RKS. The trailer brakes have been an issue for over a year. At times they work well with normal readings at the controller. Other times they seem to grab. It is especially noticeable at low speeds like slowing for a stop. All four brakes assemblies were replaced last year and functioned well for several thousand miles. I have checked power at the plug (good) and power at the controller (good-Tekonsha Primus 10). All traceable grounds look good. TV is a 2010 Dodge RAM 1500. Anyone have similar experiences and how was it solved? Thanks.
Make sure all powers and grounds to the controller are tested under load (volt drop testing) since that's an aftermarket installation.

We experienced this in a horrible way in 2007. I discovered the blue wire running power to the brakes rubbed through and intermittently shorted inside the axle tube. If your wires to each brake assembly are all visible check them carefully for rub through or fraying. If they run through the axle tube like ours did to get to one side then suspect that. We made enough mileage over rough roads to wear through the insulation inside the axle tube. New super thickly insulated wires run better than stock fixed it.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 06:32 PM   #4

When was last time the brakes were Adjusted???
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 06:37 PM   #5

If they feel grabby after storage, that's normal.

The magnet and shoe surface rust up, while sitting. During the first few applications, the rust has to wear off.

I used to apply my trailer brakes driving down my street, just to clean them up.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 06:47 PM   #6

I'm going with the rusting but the other issued presented are certainly possible look for the easy cheap fix first. Good luck.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 06:36 PM   #7

Been there done that.......recently replaced all four brakes as they had to replace broken shackles, and the brake problems started on day one. Took it back to the dealer, and they test drove it extensively and found no problem. Towed from Dallas to CO Springs over Raton pass, had to apply brakes once when diesel braking wasn't enough, and then smoke from only the left rear tire!!!! No more braking for the remainder of the trip - try using only diesel braking for the entire trip. Then, almost by accident had to use braking on a left hard turn and the left rear grabbed big time. Checked under that tire and found a Scotch lock fastener tying 3 brakes wires together, under that tire without it's snap-on cover, covered in dirt and grease. Cleaned it with electrical cleaner and bound it in a plastic conduit and tied it away from any metal, and test drove with several backup hard braking events, and all is well. But it took over 2 years to discover and fix, even for this ex-engineer! If the Ford fault system annunciates "Trailer Brake Wiring Fault", believe it and fix it.
cletesingler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 10:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Just experience tells me you probably have some electrical gremlin. It might even be a software issue.

Look for a TSB on that issue for a Ram truck.

Good luck
He has a Tekonsha Primus 10 controller, and not a factory controller.

Charles

Tags
brake