Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2022, 06:08 AM   #1

Brake problem towing with 2022 GMC

I picked up our new 2022 Chevy 3500 Duramax about a month before we headed south for the winter. On our trip down, we experienced a "Service Trailer Brake System" light and had no trailer brakes. That happened several times and lasted 30-90 minutes before it self corrected and I had brakes again. I took it into the dealer here in Arizona and they had it about a week and replaced a brake solenoid (?). Our trailer has had a disc brake conversion done so I also called Michael at Performance Trailer Brakes for his advise. He told me the disc brakes have no resistance in their system and the truck sends out a signal periodically to see if the brakes are still there and without resistance they don't always recognize the brakes as being present. He has seen this happen on a number of late model trucks with OEM brake systems. Dexter also saw this as a known problem and developed a $100 adapter solution. Michael indicated installing the adapter would cause no problems if it wasn't needed but would solve the "missing" brake problem if it was needed. I ordered and installed one. No idea if this has fixed the problem or not. We have no plans to travel for a few weeks. Posting this as heads up for those with OEM brake systems.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2022, 07:53 AM   #2

There seems to be a lot of issues as systems go to "smarter and smarter" electronics to control them.

As an example, because of the way the lighting circuit worked on some GM trucks, the rear view camera would not function properly. Again, an adapter was developed.

I had one of the earliest 2nd Generation Colorado/Canyons off the line, received my 2015 Canyon in February, 2015. Had a problem with the electric power steering. The instrument panel would suddenly light up like Christmas, and the power steering would fail. Restarting the truck usually cleared the problem. GM replaced the entire power steering, but later came out with a recall that involved a programming change. My understanding was part of the programming checked for an error, and if the error persisted for a micro-second, it would fault out multiple systems (power steering and anti-skid systems.) By changing that micro-second to a longer interval, like 10 micro-seconds, the problem was eliminated. (My time descriptions are very generic, not sure what they were, just explaining the concept as I understood in 2015.)

I think it is hard for designers to really understand the implications of some of this new technology. There is another thread around here about EV fires that follows that same issue.

At least you found what hopefully is an off the shelf solution to your problem.
Old 11-18-2022, 03:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtCamper View Post
I picked up our new 2022 Chevy 3500 Duramax about a month before we headed south for the winter. On our trip down, we experienced a "Service Trailer Brake System" light and had no trailer brakes. That happened several times and lasted 30-90 minutes before it self corrected and I had brakes again. I took it into the dealer here in Arizona and they had it about a week and replaced a brake solenoid (?). Our trailer has had a disc brake conversion done so I also called Michael at Performance Trailer Brakes for his advise. He told me the disc brakes have no resistance in their system and the truck sends out a signal periodically to see if the brakes are still there and without resistance they don't always recognize the brakes as being present. He has seen this happen on a number of late model trucks with OEM brake systems. Dexter also saw this as a known problem and developed a $100 adapter solution. Michael indicated installing the adapter would cause no problems if it wasn't needed but would solve the "missing" brake problem if it was needed. I ordered and installed one. No idea if this has fixed the problem or not. We have no plans to travel for a few weeks. Posting this as heads up for those with OEM brake systems.

Can you tell us more about the adapter that you got from Dexter? Part #? Can't find anything in their online catalog.
Old 11-18-2022, 03:46 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
This has been a known issue for a long time. Lots of posts on it here and on truck forums. It always seems to be the GM vehicles.

Glad you got it figured out and I am sure the adapter will help you.
Old 11-18-2022, 05:00 PM   #5

I got the adapter from Michael at Performance Trailer Brakes. You can also get them from etrailer.com.

Adapter Module for BrakeRite Electric Over Hydraulic Actuator - OE Ford, GM Brake Controllers
Dexter logo
(37 Reviews)
Our Price:
$104.91
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 10:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
This has been a known issue for a long time. Lots of posts on it here and on truck forums. It always seems to be the GM vehicles.

Glad you got it figured out and I am sure the adapter will help you.
Agree, my F-150 has a setting for electric-over-hydraulic (disc brakes). I haven't had this problem on 3 different trucks.
Old 11-20-2022, 05:41 PM   #7

If you have hydraulic disk brakes in your RV, make sure the trailer has this added regardless of the truck you currently have. Some Day you may change trucks, or you may have to have the trailer towed by someone else. This could save a lot of trouble down the road. either way this will stop the error code and makes the pump work if the truck is looking for resistance of brake magnets .

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...er/DX35FR.html

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...r/HBA-CAM.html

Tags
brake, problem, tow, towing