Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2022, 08:26 AM   #1

Break downs?

This may be a bit of a newbie question, but we are doing a long trip out west soon. We all hope we never have mechanical issues, but my silverado has a lot of miles.
Hoped some might share how they have handled break downs along the interstate. Getting your pull vehicle towed in for repair, getting your pull behind towed off the interstate? If your tow vehicle is not repairable is buying another vehicle the only option? Are there one way rental vehicles you can get to tow with to continue your vacation?
If anyone has had experiences & are willing to share them the info would be appreciated.
Steve
Ccrider65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2022, 09:05 AM   #2

First off, make sure your truck is in good shape and you have critical parameters monitored. Before towing with out 04 silverado I replaced all coolant hoses, thermostat and fan clutch. It had a trans cooler but I had the tranny checked out and upgraded with a shift kit. I put in a scangage, and programmed it to watch trans fluid temp, coolant temp and mpg. MPG should tell me if something is amiss and the motor is working harder than normal. So far so good, but a 10 degree increase in coolant temp gave me a heads up, the fan clutch was going south.
So good to research options but also good to check condition of the truck.
MCCOHENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 09:51 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccrider65 View Post
This may be a bit of a newbie question, but we are doing a long trip out west soon. We all hope we never have mechanical issues, but my silverado has a lot of miles.
Hoped some might share how they have handled break downs along the interstate. Getting your pull vehicle towed in for repair, getting your pull behind towed off the interstate? If your tow vehicle is not repairable is buying another vehicle the only option? Are there one way rental vehicles you can get to tow with to continue your vacation?
If anyone has had experiences & are willing to share them the info would be appreciated.
Steve
The best idea is to have a very mechanically sound vehicle to start with. There are no guarantees, even my relatively new to me 2011 Sierra 3500HD broke down in the middle of the desert in Nevada in 2013. I was stuck in 4WD lo range about 80 miles from the campground. An electronic bug was fixed with programming. To add insult to injury, I am a professional mechanic, own a shop, and reprogram vehicles regularly, I just didn't have all my tooling with me.

I limped back to the campground at 30 miles an hour (yeah, on the freeway, in the right lane/shoulder with hazards on). Another 60 mile drive the next day in 4 lo to get it reflashed.

Get a really good mechanic to check everything out before. Get a newer/better tow vehicle if in doubt.

If towing a bumper pull you might find a one way pickup rental, if a 5th wheel, gooseneck or anything like that forget about it.

You can get road hazard and insurance, AAA-like through various companies if in doubt, but it ain't cheap.

Make sure you have a decent cellphone plan, lots of data and minutes, as you'll burn through that in case you have a problem on the road.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 09:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccrider65 View Post
............Hoped some might share how they have handled break downs along the interstate. Getting your pull vehicle towed in for repair, getting your pull behind towed off the interstate? If your tow vehicle is not repairable is buying another vehicle the only option? Are there one way rental vehicles you can get to tow with to continue your vacation?...........
Getting your pull vehicle towed in for repair, getting your pull behind towed off the interstate? Buy towing breakdown service insurance. My AAA Premier membership covers RVs and motorcycles with 200 miles of towing per year for one tow (including motorcycles and RVs). They will tow your vehicle with the trailer attached to a service center. Saw a broken down crew cab long bed dually truck with a 40+ ft fifth wheel attached being towed.

If your tow vehicle is not repairable is buying another vehicle the only option? Yes. that happened to a friend if mine. His relatively new tow vehicle engine failed and had it towed to a dealer where he traded it in for a new tow vehicle so he could continue the trip towing his fifth wheel trailer.

Are there one way rental vehicles you can get to tow with to continue your vacation? Check with U-Haul...............might have some weight restrictions.
Old 06-02-2022, 10:13 AM   #5

Some of the rental companies offer medium duty towing pickup trucks, so that would depend on availability in the area. We experienced two break downs while towing our travel trailer.

The first time, we shopped (by phone while still on the side of the road) for a flatbed wrecker that could carry our Excursion while towing our 31' TT. Went ahead and contracted him for the 3 hour trip home and a service drop off for our truck. Not cheap but a turn key solution.

The second time, we were able to limp into a campground and just made the best of it while our truck was being serviced. We had to cancel some reservations while we waited and pay for a wrecker to move our TT around the camp ground as we would find ourselves in previously reserved spots.

It never occurred to us to purchase another vehicle. Unless it is a total loss, it can always be fixed, given parts availability. I'd rather bribe a mechanic than subject myself to a car salesman who knows I am under some duress. I'd have sold the travel trailer and flown home first.
Old 06-02-2022, 06:10 PM   #6

There are also folks called hotshots that will tow your camper to a destination.
I cant imagine they are cheap.

Best advice has already been given.
If your tv is a diesel make sure your
Fuel filter(s) have been changed b4 you
leave. If your rail pressure goes below a certain
Value because of a fuel filter not allowing
enough fuel your truck will go into limp mode.
I had an older gmc did this to us in
The middle of Nebraska. Fortunatly we were
Able to limp mode it 6 mi to Sydney
Spent 2 days in Walmart parking lot
While it got repaired. Live and learn.
Now I carry a spare..But I cant get it out of limp
Mode..so a service center has to do that..
If your not sure it's best to change them out
B4 a long trip. Good Sam also sells
Roadside assistance for rvs.
varmonter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 07:37 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Ditto the advice regarding AAA. DW and I had our TV transmission fail catastrophically last year. AAA RV coverage sent a tow truck with flat bed in rush hour traffic. The TV went on the flat bed and then towed the trailer. Your main concern will be to where to be towed to.? I chose a dealership for the TV and then what about the trailer as we we were about 150 miles from home? The service writer said the dealership had an adjacent vacant lot we could use for the night, yea! The next day I rented a Ram 3500 to tow the trailer back home. Got a new transmission in the TV and back on the road within two weeks. If this happens to you, your mind will be racing as to strategy, but AAA will take a huge amount of the stress away!
Bigfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 11:28 AM   #8

I worry more about my trailer axles. Most towns have a garage that can fix trucks but say a trailer axle breaks or bearings burn up. Not many places I know that can fix a trailer. A flat tire is the olny thing I can fix on the trailer.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 07:23 PM   #9

X2 for a Scangauge. This can be programmed to read transmission temperature and true engine coolant temperature. Most dashboard temperature gauges are mere approximations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCCOHENS View Post
First off, make sure your truck is in good shape and you have critical parameters monitored. Before towing with out 04 silverado I replaced all coolant hoses, thermostat and fan clutch. It had a trans cooler but I had the tranny checked out and upgraded with a shift kit. I put in a scangage, and programmed it to watch trans fluid temp, coolant temp and mpg. MPG should tell me if something is amiss and the motor is working harder than normal. So far so good, but a 10 degree increase in coolant temp gave me a heads up, the fan clutch was going south.
So good to research options but also good to check condition of the truck.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote