Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2018, 01:56 PM   #15

I kinda disagree, why carry all the componants of a 4 x 4 year after year after year and get extra lousy fuel economy to boot.

I had 4 x 4 trucks for 8 years. The one time I needed it, it did not get me unstuck. This was a straight 4 x 4 dually without a locking rear diff like in the Ford FX4 trucks.

Anyway I needed help to get unstuck in a 4 x 4. So I had an AWD and two 4 x 4 trucks. Now I have a 2 wheel drive truck.

Does anyone know how many wheels will spin in a 4 x 4 truck?
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2018, 02:29 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
You don't need 4 wheel drive

until you get in a situation where you need four wheel drive
better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it...

I full time in an F350 dually 4x4. I have used 4x4 on several occasions on wet grass areas. Had I not had it, I would have not been able to pull a heavy trailer from where I was at without assistance. I don't like being assisted unless necessary.

However, if you never plan to leave a paved or stoned RV site, it is very unlikely you will need it. The other tiny thing depending on what your plans are is you pay more for a 4x4, but resale and trade value is also higher. Since many trucks "free-wheel" when not in 4x4 (front running gear does not turn), your gas mileage difference should be insignificant except for the additional weight.
Old 08-28-2018, 03:03 PM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I kinda disagree, why carry all the componants of a 4 x 4 year after year after year and get extra lousy fuel economy to boot.

I had 4 x 4 trucks for 8 years. The one time I needed it, it did not get me unstuck. This was a straight 4 x 4 dually without a locking rear diff like in the Ford FX4 trucks.

Anyway I needed help to get unstuck in a 4 x 4. So I had an AWD and two 4 x 4 trucks. Now I have a 2 wheel drive truck.

Does anyone know how many wheels will spin in a 4 x 4 truck?
All 4 of mine spin... gheese - can you imagine what driving would be like if only 2 or 3 spun??!!
Old 08-28-2018, 03:10 PM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
I stayed at the Martinsville Race Track once in a 2 wheel drive. Camping was on grass and pretty level. It rained. The grass got slippery and when driving on it, it got muddy. I couldn't position the truck correctly to hitch-up and ended up shoveling gravel from the road along the grassy camping area to the point where I need traction just ahead of the camper. Finally got connected and made a mad dash for about 20 or 30 feet to the gravel road.

Would a 4x4 have helped? We'll never know. But the 4x4's were assisting others in my situation by pulling them toward the road. I was next in line for the tow assist but luckily made it out on my own.

oh - I haven't been back since to that mud surrounded track. And even now, with a 4x4, I carry a good shovel in the RV.
Old 08-29-2018, 06:57 PM   #19

I have a Chevy Z71 4 wheel drive and have used it a few times to pull the camper through the yard without spinning in the wet grass after big rains. It has an auto mode which it doesn't lock it up 100 percentile the highway. I think it's like 60/40 and I use it when bridges and roads freeze in winter. Another advantage is you can put it in low and it will gear it way down if needed. It gets around 20 - 23 mpg on the highway unloaded.
lcboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 10:29 AM   #20

Is the Chevy Z71 package like the Ford FX4 package? Comes with skid plates and a locking diff?

Not sure, but I think to really have a true 4 x 4 you need a Ram Power Wagon that can lock all 4 wheels together. Yet I do not see many (or any) power wagons towing anything.
Old 08-30-2018, 11:18 AM   #21

Quote:
Is the Chevy Z71 package like the Ford FX4 package? Comes with skid plates and a locking diff?

Not sure, but I think to really have a true 4 x 4 you need a Ram Power Wagon that can lock all 4 wheels together. Yet I do not see many (or any) power wagons towing anything.
Are you sure about that? 4x4 units don't have locked front axles since turning on any wet or slippery surface would be next to impossible.
That said, in my part of the world 2WD has virtually no resale. Dealers don't stock them and trade ins usually go straight to the auction.
AITG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 11:25 AM   #22

4 X 4 all the way. Pros greatly outweigh the cons.

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 11:29 AM   #23

The power wagon is the exception to having front locking axle. I am 85% sure you can lock the front axle and get unstuck going in a straight line at least. You might have some steering but might need to fight it.

And when the term 4 x 4 is thrown around w/o ever mentioning you will only have 2 drive wheels. If a 4 x 4 gets 2 wheels on a slick surface, say both the right side wheels, only the right side will spin. You will not get any left side traction.

A 2 wheel drive with a locking rear diff is very close to being as good as a so called 4 x 4.
Old 08-30-2018, 02:57 PM   #24

Quote:
The power wagon is the exception to having front locking axle. I am 85% sure you can lock the front axle and get unstuck going in a straight line at least. You might have some steering but might need to fight it.

And when the term 4 x 4 is thrown around w/o ever mentioning you will only have 2 drive wheels. If a 4 x 4 gets 2 wheels on a slick surface, say both the right side wheels, only the right side will spin. You will not get any left side traction.

A 2 wheel drive with a locking rear diff is very close to being as good as a so called 4 x 4.

You can indeed lock both axles on the power wagon, or at least all of the ones I've seen and been in. I've owned over half a dozen 4X4 vehicles that I had lockers of one sort or other in both axles as I've been an avid off roader both rock climbing and race trucks since my teen years. They actually handle quite well in most slick situations, if anything better than open diffs most of the time. It is however a different feel and you need to learn how to make use of the handling as it often includes using the throttle.

I've pretty much gotten out of the off road truck scene, having switched over to the little UTV's about 10 years ago as they are more fun, and a whole lot cheaper to maintain. I have one of the early (2010) Polaris RZR's, and the rear doesn't have a differential, it's always locked so to speak. The front is always locked too and the only option is to engage both axles or run on only the back. The handling is different than what you may be used to, but it actually handles quite well at speed through all sorts different terrains.

I've also seen some seem to think you can only use part time 4X4 when stuck. That method will result in your getting stuck a lot, as momentum can be your friend, and 4X4 can help you maintain it. You can use part time 4 wheel drive any time the roads are slick enough to allow slippage of the tires. Virtually all systems now are shift on the fly so that if you're running down the right side of the freeway which is clear and have to get over into the left lane that is snow covered you can select the 4X4 to gain the handling benefit then turn it back off when you get back onto the clear road.
Old 08-30-2018, 04:44 PM   #25

A 4x4 is like insurance , a waste of money till you need it . If you never leave the pavement , a 2wd will be just fine. But all it takes is that camping spot with a bit of incline and wet grass. That's when you need a 4x4. A locking diff will help a little , but it's not as good as 4 wheel drive.
Old 08-30-2018, 07:47 PM   #26

Yes the Chevy trucks have locking rear axles on 2 or 4 wheel drive.
lcboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 10:06 PM   #27

"That said, in my part of the world 2WD has virtually no resale. Dealers don't stock them and trade ins usually go straight to the auction."

Perfect reason to consider 2WD when purchasing used. If you can save 8 grand over a comparable 4WD then you can pay yourself 8 grand the first time you have to chain the 2WD truck up. This is my philosophy, chains are still new.
Old 08-31-2018, 07:35 AM   #28

That is an interesting option. But would a 2WD with locking rear diff with chains be better than a typical 4 x 4? Chains do make a huge difference with improved soft ground traction.

Chains are much cheaper than lugging 4 x 4 componants around for every mile you drive.

Tags
buying