Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2018, 03:15 PM   #15

Towing Capacity

Check out RV Tow Check App | Realistic Vehicle Towing Capacity Calculator - $1.99 app calculator for tow vehicles to determine their tow capacity - great app!
jgolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2018, 05:20 PM   #16

Humm, if a F-350 SRW truck has a GVWR of 11,500lbs. and a Ram 3500 SRW truck has a GVWR of 12,300lbs. maybe look at a Ram 3500. You will be pleasantly surprised as they are very nice trucks.

Now in about 6 or 7 months the redesigned Chevy heavy duty will be out with more capacity. A few months after that both Ram and Ford will have new redesigned trucks out. Both the Ford and Ram is rumored to have more speeds and bigger gas engines. The Chevy will also have a new 6.6 litre gas engine.

Typically new redesigns increase engine power. towing, and hauling capacity.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 10:17 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Humm, if a F-350 SRW truck has a GVWR of 11,500lbs. and a Ram 3500 SRW truck has a GVWR of 12,300lbs. maybe look at a Ram 3500. You will be pleasantly surprised as they are very

Typically new redesigns increase engine power. towing, and hauling capacity.
Now, if the 11300 rating on the ford puts him over the 26k mark, the 12300 will be even more. I have to ask though, why is the non commercial class a not in the cards? Im in pa and ive helped some really dumb individuals get a class a commercial for under 600$ all in.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 03:06 AM   #18

Back to the drawing board. You need a smaller / lighter 5th wheel. I would pick one that could be towed by a F-250. That way you will not draw any attention to yourself by the Pa. weight police.

A 2WD gasoline engine F-250 XLT will have a occupant/cargo capacity of around 3,500lbs or more.

The Jayco 347 BHOK is 42' long. That is simply the wrong 5th wheel / truck combo to stay under a GVWR of 26,000 lbs.

Or

Bite the bullet and get the required drivers license.
Old 12-09-2018, 05:45 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshopes81 View Post
Now, if the 11300 rating on the ford puts him over the 26k mark, the 12300 will be even more. I have to ask though, why is the non commercial class a not in the cards? Im in pa and ive helped some really dumb individuals get a class a commercial for under 600$ all in.
Getting the non-commercial class a would be the be the best choice and if it was $600 and I could do it in a week or less I would. The problem is that I wont buy the truck/trailer combo before having the license to drive it and the 'schools' that I have seen take a few weeks and a few thousand and are overkill for what I need to do.
zultrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 06:31 AM   #20

The only other option that I can think of is renting a short flatbed trailer with a GVWR of 20,501lb or more with an actual weight of 6,400# or less and taking the test in my Tacoma. (My Tacoma GVWR is 5,500)

I believe that will meet the requirement for the test (while being legal), although I may have to convince the test center.
Old 12-09-2018, 07:20 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by zultrack View Post
The only other option that I can think of is renting a short flatbed trailer with a GVWR of 20,501lb or more with an actual weight of 6,400# or less and taking the test in my Tacoma. (My Tacoma GVWR is 5,500)

I believe that will meet the requirement for the test (while being legal), although I may have to convince the test center.
I know a guy. I know a few guys actually that can help you out on the testing part. Pm me.
Old 12-09-2018, 08:24 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshopes81 View Post
I know a guy. I know a few guys actually that can help you out on the testing part. Pm me.
Thanks again. I will go that route and get the non-commercial knocked out and then get a DRW truck.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:12 AM   #23

Good decision. And just an FYI - a dually truck will make towing a non-event. O towed a lot on Rt 22 from Pittsburgh to Ebensberg. There is a mountain just east of Blairsville that was a non-event. A brother-in-law in a diesel pusher did 30mph up the mountain while I did 65mph.

A 42' 5th wheel will also look better behind a dually truck.

Again - good luck and a good decision[emoji106]

When buying the truck get the 5th wheel hitch package and work the 5th wheel hitch into the deal.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:33 AM   #24

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by zultrack View Post
Thanks again. I will go that route and get the non-commercial knocked out and then get a DRW truck.
Best choice..
& Good Luck!!!!
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 10:44 AM   #25

Quote:
Good decision. And just an FYI - a dually truck will make towing a non-event. O towed a lot on Rt 22 from Pittsburgh to Ebensberg. There is a mountain just east of Blairsville that was a non-event. A brother-in-law in a diesel pusher did 30mph up the mountain while I did 65mph.

A 42' 5th wheel will also look better behind a dually truck.

Again - good luck and a good decision[emoji106]

When buying the truck get the 5th wheel hitch package and work the 5th wheel hitch into the deal.
Blairsville hill is a pain in the kneck in an 80klb crane. If your momentum is right you can make it up without going low side. We had a pete with a c13 kor package that would pull that hill in 10th at 70mph no problem.

As far as the licensing goes nick is going to play guinea pig to see about a non comm class a. Theres not much info on it online at all. I guess we'll see how it goes. Worst case he'll end up with a commercial a and no manual endorsement. Driving privately the only difference will be a medcard renewal every few years. No logs or dot regs to follow if its not used commercially so it will functionally be just like the non commercial a.
Old 12-09-2018, 12:58 PM   #26

That mountain east of Blairsville I think is a 1,200' elevation gain. In the old days before Rt22 was 'fixed' the road was windy and with a lot of slow moving coal trucks up the mountain and fast moving coal trucks down the mountain. I was lucky not to be killed on that mountain. Wet road at the bottom, ice and snow on the top.

Good job helping Nick. He will be happier with a dually truck and new wizz bang license.

His drives from Punxatawny to Virgina and North Carolina will be interesting in the winter months. There will be a lot of salt on the road.

OP - make sure you get a treated trailer frame to fight rust.
Old 12-10-2018, 06:56 AM   #27

Quote:
Back to the drawing board. You need a smaller / lighter 5th wheel. I would pick one that could be towed by a F-250. That way you will not draw any attention to yourself by the Pa. weight police.

A 2WD gasoline engine F-250 XLT will have a occupant/cargo capacity of around 3,500lbs or more.

The Jayco 347 BHOK is 42' long. That is simply the wrong 5th wheel / truck combo to stay under a GVWR of 26,000 lbs.

Or

Bite the bullet and get the required drivers license.
yco

That Jayco has a lower empty weight, loaded weight and tongue weight than our Cedar Creek. Our old combo of F350 SRW was over on cargo capacity by 300lbs (extra fuel tank, Pullrite slider and washer dryer) but our total GVWR was only 22,000lbs - well below his 26,000lb limit. A different hitch and no washer dryer and maybe no auxiliary tank and I bet that combo would be under on cargo capacity also. Granted, a dually solves all the problems, but a SRW will work also without the need for the different license. Just saying.
Gsykora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 08:34 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
I can testify that towing the same trailer with a SRW and DRW is Night and Day, no comparison. Especially when the wind blows. You just have to put up the the inconveniences of a DRW when not towing or buying tires.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
f350, jayco, tow