Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2022, 08:04 PM   #1

Can any EV or Hydrid vehicles be towed 4 down?

As so many auto manufactures scramble to switch some or all of their products to EV or hybrid vs traditional ICB engines and even the RV industry is exploring the electric approach, I am wondering where the RV industry is headed? Does anyone know if there is a plan to publish a list of, if any, Hybrids or EV's coming down the pike in the next couple of years that can be towed 4 down or dolly towed?
NOLAfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2022, 08:17 PM   #2
Community Moderator

The usual sources lists hybrid vehicles as four down towable.

Some off the top of my head are

Ford Escape hybrid
Ford C-Max hybrid
Ford maverick hybrid
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 08:20 PM   #3

Since the big issues with towing are related to automatic transmissions, I'd say that all electric vehicles should be fine with being towed.
Farrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 08:38 PM   #4

No BEV’s that I know of can be towed four down and comply with warranty.

Rivian originally said yes but changed their mind last year.

Leafs and I think bolts can be towed on a dolly.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 09:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farrier View Post
Since the big issues with towing are related to automatic transmissions, I'd say that all electric vehicles should be fine with being towed.
I can't think of a pure electric (BEV or battery electric vehicle) that can be towed or even pushed without causing damage to the electric system. The issue is regenerative braking would more or less be engaged for the duration...not a good thing.

In some EV classes, we were warned to not even push an EV around the shop for fear of damage.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 09:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
I can't think of a pure electric (BEV or battery electric vehicle) that can be towed or even pushed without causing damage to the electric system. The issue is regenerative braking would more or less be engaged for the duration...not a good thing.

In some EV classes, we were warned to not even push an EV around the shop for fear of damage.
Really? Obviously I had no idea!

Thanks for the info.
Farrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 10:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post

But then how are hybrids towed 4 down? They have regenerative braking. A plug in hybrid is a EV just with a small battery and a ICE. Surely it could be done.
Old 05-28-2022, 06:11 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tskadberg View Post
But then how are hybrids towed 4 down? They have regenerative braking. A plug in hybrid is a EV just with a small battery and a ICE. Surely it could be done.
And you know of many manufacturers that approve flat towing their hybrids? Every one I have serviced so far has notes warning NOT to do so. There may be a handful, or less, of exceptions. I have not investigated how or why their hybrid drive systems avoid damage.

Flat towing is much harder on a vehicle than many people think. I would avoid it as much as possible.
Old 05-28-2022, 06:24 AM   #9

Maybe consider the new Jeep Wrangler Hybrid…
Wranglers have been the perfect toads due to their transfer case design. Put transfer case in neutral, then transmission in Park and the vehicle rolls without any resistance. I would be very surprised if Jeep changed how all that worked as I’ve seen a number of the new Wranglers used as toads.
My toad is a 2015 Wrangler (not a hybrid)..
Old 05-28-2022, 06:28 AM   #10
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tskadberg View Post

Maybe it’s because they have transmissions….. my 2010 Mercury Mariner hybrid doesn’t charge battery or do regenerative braking when in neutral gear. Transmission is designed to lubricate itself without engine running, as obviously on battery power ICE engine is not running.
Old 05-28-2022, 06:38 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Flat towing I believe is going to get harder & harder as the new generations of vehicles comes out.

We thought we were going to have to replace our Ford Fiesta last winter and started shopping for 4 down towables.... not many there.

Back I believe just a couple years ago, most Ford vehicles could be towed 4 down, I am not familiar with other brands - but shopping a few months ago showed this is no longer the case, except for some of the higher end SUVs.

Seems many of the vehicles had a Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT). I've never heard of it before and read up on them, interesting but they cannot be towed 4 down.

One new model Ford, The Ford Maverick pick-up, the hybrid version can be flat towed, but not the full gas version. Good luck finding either version out there.

One thing I started to do when finding a vehicle we were interested in was pulling up the Owners Manual on line for the model we were considering - went to the tow section and read if it could be towed behind an RV.

We own a gas class A so have a limit on how much weight we can tow.

Good luck finding a vehicle that suits you.

g
Old 05-28-2022, 07:09 AM   #12

Our Tesla has a tow hook and there are instruction for towing it. But it’s not meant to be towed behind a Motorhome.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 07:11 AM   #13
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Glenn View Post
Seems many of the vehicles had a Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT). I've never heard of it before and read up on them, interesting but they cannot be towed 4 down.

Not true across the board.

Ford C-Max hybrid has CVT and is towable
Ford Escape hybrid has CVT and is towable
Ford Maverick hybrid has CVT and is towable
Old 05-28-2022, 07:38 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Not true across the board.

Ford C-Max hybrid has CVT and is towable
Ford Escape hybrid has CVT and is towable
Ford Maverick hybrid has CVT and is towable
Sure. Read all the fine print and footnotes on precautions. It doesn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy. Hundreds or thousands of miles dragged behind a moho. One slip-up and it's done, thousands and thousands of dollars of damage.

Good luck finding one of the above vehicles for sale.

Tags
tow, towed