Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2021, 10:00 PM   #43

I keep hearing that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pelletier View Post
Can you? sure. Should you? absolutely not IMO - WAY too much trailer for ANY half ton truck currently on the market.

Go by the trailers GVWR, not the dry weight and derate any TV maximum tow rating to no more than 80% max.

My personal "line in the sand" for half ton towing is around 26' and 6,500 lbs.

...lastly beware of "confirmation bias".....that's where 98 people tell you that it's a bad idea but 2 people say you'll be fine so you listen to them because that's the answer you really wanted!

FWIW, I have 2 half tons, 2 3/4 tons, 3 one ton SRW and 1 one ton dually that I use to tow my 8 trailers of various sizes, so I'm basing my opinion on what I've experienced.

Dave

I constantly keep hearing this - don't go by the dry weight, go by the GVWR, but that's basically a wild estimate of what amount of cargo weight you will carry, both in the trailer and in the truck. It makes more sense to me to start with the dry weight, estimate cargo weight, then hit a scale somewhere to double-check. The GVWR seems patently unreliable to me.
PLDieter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2021, 10:32 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLDieter View Post
I constantly keep hearing this - don't go by the dry weight, go by the GVWR, but that's basically a wild estimate of what amount of cargo weight you will carry, both in the trailer and in the truck. It makes more sense to me to start with the dry weight, estimate cargo weight, then hit a scale somewhere to double-check. The GVWR seems patently unreliable to me.

The trailer's GVWR is not unreliable at all.
It is a Hard and Fast number of what the trailer and its contents can weigh without being overloaded. And this applies to the tow vehicles also.

The Dry weight is the unreliable figure as it doesn't account for the normal items that you carry even with an empty trailer such as: Batteries, Spare Tire, Options (like a 2nd air conditioner and/or a 2nd battery), 2 propane bottles, hardware for your WDH, etc. Every one of these items are added on to the "Dry Weight". So unless your trailer has gone across the scales, you don't know what the true "Dry Weight" really is.

Tim
Old 05-13-2021, 10:32 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassPlayer View Post
I have a 2014 F150 with heavy duty towing package, payload sticker says 2600+ pounds. TT weight was about 3000lbs. Probably less than 500# load in it because I traveled with empty water and black/gray tanks. 5 liter engine, and I swear the truck hardly noticed the trailer was back there except for the gas mileage, which went from my usual 18.6 (even around town) to as low as 11 against the wind, and usually around 13. My gas pedal got me out of a couple of situations where the brakes would have been a worse idea; with double the weight, I'd say you're going to have a harder time. From that experience I decided I would not want to go over 1/2 the rated towing capacity, just so I could have some power in reserve. I have hauled that trailer up the 8000' mountain near me a couple times, and the road is steep, but the speed limit is about 30 so who knows whether it would have kept up at a higher speed limit.
Edit: I didn't mention that this was an XLT extra cab with 8' bed....not evn slightly squirrely on the road. Drives much bigger than a "regular" F150. And that TT was very light, probably less than half the weight of the truck.
BrassPlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 07:02 AM   #46

I’ve driven everything from little cars to big rigs and I was always better off with a larger truck for hauling anything. Diesel costs more but when a trailer gets squirrelly in the wind you need an anchor for sure. Old gas farm tractors run forever because they never rev past 1500 rpms. Low rev heavy engine and transmission just make sense. I’ve owned 5 motor homes and there is nothing like a diesel pusher. Go big or go home. IMHO
BobJan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 07:56 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
NO.....
35' long to too much for an 150/1500

^^^^Exactly what he said.
RichH
aguablanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 08:09 AM   #48

GCWR and GVWR are king

First off, a weight distribution hitch cannot increase the tow vehicle’s towing capacity or GCWR, just shift some weight to the front of the truck. To find out what you can tow LEGALLY, take the GCWR of the truck, subtract the GVWR of the truck and you are left with towing capacity. You can never exceed any gross weight rating. Shop for trailers according to their GCWR. Personally, I would never exceed 75% of my truck’s capacity.
Old Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 12:26 PM   #49

Quote:
GVWR isn't unreliable at all; it is what it is......you might have a point except people universally underestimate the weight they add on above the dry weight (water, batteries, propane, options, gear, etc.) ......SO it is infinitely safer to use the MAX weight the trailer can carry (aka the GVWR) in your calculations.

Yes, a scale is better than either estimate (assuming your load is real, realistic and repeatable) but if you are trying to get an idea of whether or not your TV is adequate, it's far better and safer to use the TT GVWR than guess what it might weigh loaded.

cheers,
Dave
Old 05-14-2021, 12:50 PM   #50

Quote:
Just personal preference. I also have a Tundra with the 10,500 capacity. I pull a 34' 5th wheel with the same dry weight, and have had absolutely no trouble, even over the Rockies. I did eventually decide to add air shocks and air supported rear suspension, but that had much more to do with having a little bit more comfortable ride than any concerns over towing capacity.
I saw your post and thought you meant 10,500 GVWR. It is your tow rating. That is useless. Your payload isn't any better than most 1/2 tons. What 35' 5er are you pulling that doesn't overload your truck? I pull a lighter 35' 5er and my pin weight is 2,100 lbs empty. Ain't no Tundra gonna handle that.

I just looked up your trailer Winnebago - Voyage Lite 28RDB (is that right?)

Dry Weight 8,440 lbs.
Payload Capacity 1,660 lbs.
GVWR 10,100 lbs.
Hitch Weight 1,755 lbs.

No Tundra can pull that trailer. Hope you have a lighter one than that.
corn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 01:26 PM   #51

Here is what you need to forget about payload and focus to towing rating.

https://youtu.be/29O7nxrjH4k
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 09:39 AM   #52

I haven’t read every reply, so I maybe duplicating someone’s reply. Pulling the TT is only one third of the Equation. The other two thirds is controlling the TT and stopping it.

I have always believed in over engineering, too much tow vehicle and overrated hitch. Upgraded after market brake pads (at least) and rotors on your tow vehicle. It may cost more up front, but I believe money well spent.

A dash camera is a must. There are people out there who see these rigs as $$$! Cheap backup.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0705.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	871.1 KB
ID:	328339

2019 Arctic Wolf 305ML6
2016 Ram 2500 w/6.7 L Cummins

P.S. Trailer dry weight 11900
Truck tow capacity 17000 +
Fifth wheel hitch capacity 18500
Packratky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 09:14 PM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
We just had a Really bad accident in our area of Southern Ca. for this same reason the truck was a 1/2 ton ford pulling a I want to say 35 ft trailer and it started swaying and the next thing you know it jackknifed and flipped Killing a 10 yr old Boy because of it . IMO sorry the 1/2 anytruck is a Baby Truck Not a Real truck to tow a big trailer with .Remember it's you and your Family in their I wouldn't do it .
simplysmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 06:34 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplysmn View Post
We just had a Really bad accident in our area of Southern Ca. for this same reason the truck was a 1/2 ton ford pulling a I want to say 35 ft trailer and it started swaying and the next thing you know it jackknifed and flipped Killing a 10 yr old Boy because of it . IMO sorry the 1/2 anytruck is a Baby Truck Not a Real truck to tow a big trailer with .Remember it's you and your Family in their I wouldn't do it .
Sad story for sure, but the tow vehicle in question was a Chevrolet Avalanche, which has a 130" wheelbase and a 5100lb tow capacity. It's more an SUV than a pickup. The Avalanches also did that weird conversion thing to switch from an SUV into a pickup, so I wouldn't think they would be the most structurally safe. It also says the boy was ejected and pinned under the vehicle or trailer, sounds like the back end just came apart. My F-150 has a 163" wheelbase, almost 3' longer than an Avalanche, which provides a much stabler towing experience than any SUV ever could.

If indeed the trailer was 35' then that IS way too big of trailer but even more so to try to pull with an SUV. I don't think you should be towing anything with an SUV.

https://www.vvng.com/coroner-ids-10-...5-in-hesperia/
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 07:50 AM   #55

The trailer was an Attitude toy hauler. I don't know what size but the smallest one they advertise has a GVWR of 9900 lbs.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 09:51 AM   #56

And just to be complete, I was over at my trailer which is parked at a large RV dealership. As I entered, I saw a guy pulling out with what looked like a new 5er toy hauler hooked to a Chevy 2500HD diesel short bed. The truck was squatting terribly and was probably on the bump stops. I just shook my head. You can overload any truck beyond safe limits.

I am happy that around these parts, the majority of the rigs I see on the road look really well set up with proper running gear. Makes me happy.
corn18 is offline   Reply With Quote