Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2021, 08:05 AM   #1

Can I pull this with an F-150

I started this as a reply to another post and am now starting a new thread to seek more input. I am new to the trailer world. I am considering a 35' trailer that weighs 7,300 pounds unloaded. Can I pull it with an F-150 Super Cab or Super Crew which has a heavy duty payload package (and weight distribution hitch and sway bars) that increases the towing capacity to 9,300 pounds? Manufacturer (Keystone/Dutchmen/Coleman) and dealer say yes, no problem. Does anybody have experience with this type of trailer and truck rig?
MikePi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2021, 08:19 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Frist thing is to forget the dry or unladed weight, unless you plan to never add anything to the trailer in the way of food, clothes and other supplies.

The big issue on any 1/2 ton truck is the payload capacity. This includes, all passengers, cargo, hitch and trailer tongue weight. The tongue weight of a loaded travel trailer is generally 12% of the trailer GVWR. Use the trailer GVWR (maximum loaded) weight when selecting a truck. Prime importance is to not exceed the trucks rear axle GAWR.

And finally, I think a 35' travel trailer will be too much for a 1/2 ton truck to control. If you are going out for a new truck, I'd suggest a 3/4 ton truck.

And a parting note...NEVER believe the truck or RV dealer. Get the trucks Towing Guide from the manufacturer and read and understand all of the terms and footnotes. The trucks payload and towing capacity is determined by the trucks, engine, axle ratings, cab configuration and 2 wheel or 4 wheel drive.

My son-in-law had a Toyota Tundra with the towing package and rated for 10.500# and bought a 30' Winnebago travel trailer (8500# GVWR). He made one trip and decided the tail was wagging the dog and bough a 3/4 ton Ford truck. He said it handles the trailer much better and is comfortable to drive.

Ken
Old 04-29-2021, 08:20 AM   #3

Dealer & salespeople will tell you anything to get a sale.
Have you checked the vehicles payload?
You should never go by the "unloaded weight" as that will never be realistic but instead go by the gross weight the trailer can handle - I'm guessing a 35' TT will have around 2,200-2,500 lbs. more weight to calculate?
Normally I would guess this is definitely in 3/4 ton territory but I have heard of the F-150 with ECO Boost pulling equivalent weights with the HD payload packages.
I just think you need a 3/4 ton for better brakes, and stability issues.
Old 04-29-2021, 08:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakterp View Post
Dealer & salespeople will tell you anything to get a sale.
Have you checked the vehicles payload?
You should never go by the "unloaded weight" as that will never be realistic but instead go by the gross weight the trailer can handle - I'm guessing a 35' TT will have around 2,200-2,500 lbs. more weight to calculate?
Normally I would guess this is definitely in 3/4 ton territory but I have heard of the F-150 with ECO Boost pulling equivalent weights with the HD payload packages.
I just think you need a 3/4 ton for better brakes, and stability issues.
I am thinking that the 2,200-2,500 cargo weight is extremely high, unless you are talking full fresh water and gray/waste water tanks. Not sure I would ever expect all those tanks to be full at same time. If waste water tanks are full, you must have emptied the fresh water tank.

That said, I am pulling a 5900 pound dry weight, 32 foot long trailer with my Silverado 1500. My tow rating is similar to the F150 described, and I do not think I would consider anything larger. I think that trailer is more suitable for a 3/4 or full ton truck.

My carrying capacity on my trailer is 1850 additional pounds, to put that in perspective. I don't typically carry fresh water and have dumped my tanks before I hit the road. I doubt I have added more than 700 pounds to the trailer over dry weight.

Oh, and yes, the dealer will tell you anything to sell you a travel trailer.
carybosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 09:13 AM   #5

A few things have me confused. A F-150 with a Heavy Duty Payload Package (HDPP) is the truck with a 160 plus wheelbase, it's thicker frame and my guess a 12,000lb towing capacity. Not 9,300lbs. If you are taking about a F-150 with the HDPP option then yes, it can tow much better than your average F-150.

If you are talking about a normal F-150 then no - a 34' travel trailer is too much. You will have the tail wagging the dog and will have a problem trying to control that trailer. Wind and semi trucks create alot of disturbance air along the big flat sides of a travel trailer.

Take a look at Rockwood)Flagstaff travel trailers. They make a bunch of Floorplans just under 30' than IMHO can be towed with a muscled half ton truck.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 09:49 AM   #6

Also look into a Propride 3P hitch if you are considering towing a 30' plus TT with a 1/2 ton truck. Assuming you can stay within payload capacity of the truck, the Propride will negate any concerns about the "tail wagging the dog". The propride projects the pivot point from the ball up to near the rear axle of the truck so it behaves like a firth wheel.
Sv Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 09:51 AM   #7

NO.....
35' long to too much for an 150/1500
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 10:02 AM   #8

Can you? sure. Should you? absolutely not IMO - WAY too much trailer for ANY half ton truck currently on the market.

Go by the trailers GVWR, not the dry weight and derate any TV maximum tow rating to no more than 80% max.

My personal "line in the sand" for half ton towing is around 26' and 6,500 lbs.

...lastly beware of "confirmation bias".....that's where 98 people tell you that it's a bad idea but 2 people say you'll be fine so you listen to them because that's the answer you really wanted!

FWIW, I have 2 half tons, 2 3/4 tons, 3 one ton SRW and 1 one ton dually that I use to tow my 8 trailers of various sizes, so I'm basing my opinion on what I've experienced.

Dave
Old 04-30-2021, 12:05 PM   #9

MikePi - this chart was posted on the other F-150 thread but it belongs here as well.

I think an F-150 has a wheelbase of 147". That puts you at 29' and maybe 30'.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tapatalk_1619805699277.jpeg
Views:	24
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	326811
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 12:13 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I see you live in Stockton California. Any trip out of the state will require going over steep mountains.

Once you go over one of those mountains with that combination I guarantee you that you will be shopping for a new, bigger truck when you get home. Been there, done that.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 12:25 PM   #11

There's no HDPP that increases the F150 tow rating to 9300 lbs.
9300 lbs is way under the F150 HDPP tow rating.
I'm thinking you've misread some specs.
As far as towing that TT goes. I wouldn't as it's too much mass for a light weight F150.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 01:49 PM   #12

The interesting thing is that based on the conversation here, and the chart posted above, I should not be towing my 32 foot trailer with a Silverado 1500 crewcab, short bed. I think that chart tosses out a lot of possible trailers to ever be towed. About the longest wheelbase I can find on a Silverado is 172", even going to a 3/4 or full ton truck.

Now, I would strongly suggest that anything much heavier or much longer is pushing your luck for my Silverado 1/2 ton with the 5.3L V8, but people were towing pretty significant trailers long before we had the bemouths of pickup trucks we have today.

(I still think the OP's trailer is more than the half ton Ford should tow.)
Old 04-30-2021, 03:45 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by carybosse View Post
The interesting thing is that based on the conversation here, and the chart posted above, I should not be towing my 32 foot trailer with a Silverado 1500 crewcab, short bed. I think that chart tosses out a lot of possible trailers to ever be towed. About the longest wheelbase I can find on a Silverado is 172", even going to a 3/4 or full ton truck.

Now, I would strongly suggest that anything much heavier or much longer is pushing your luck for my Silverado 1/2 ton with the 5.3L V8, but people were towing pretty significant trailers long before we had the bemouths of pickup trucks we have today.

(I still think the OP's trailer is more than the half ton Ford should tow.)
Where do you live? Have you ever towed in mountainous areas?

I had a GMC 1/2 ton with the 5.3 pulling a 27' Komfort Travel Trailer and quickly learned it was OK on the flatland but not in mountains.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 03:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Where do you live? Have you ever towed in mountainous areas?

I had a GMC 1/2 ton with the 5.3 pulling a 27' Komfort Travel Trailer and quickly learned it was OK on the flatland but not in mountains.
I am in flatlands. I recognize that I am not going to be pulling it through Ike's Pass at 75 MPH, but I feel it will do fine. Probably more concerned with the downhill slope than uphill.

I tried to find out what a 27' Komfort Travel Trailer weighed. The one I found had a gross weight of 9400 pounds. My Forest River 32 foot has a gross weight of 7700 pounds, I am guessing I am running close to an actual weight of 6700 pounds. I would not want to add another ton to my load, it would be an issue.

(And of course, I have no clue what your weight is or if the gross weights we are talking are an apples to apples comparison.)