Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2005, 05:20 PM   #1

looking at buying a adirondack 31bk,dry weight 6368 lbs and 35 ft from bumper to hitch.wondering if my 2004 f250 5.4 engine with a 3.73 rear can pull this. also a number of people say pulling that long of a trailer is really terrible as far as handling? need advice from some vet. rvers. also i am keeping my truck so i know some pro deisel owners will tell me to buy a deisel, i would if i could afford it. my dad has a deisel excursion and i like it just as much as my truck. so lets just stick to my truck. thanks and thanks for the your replies.
kevin925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2005, 05:20 PM   #2

looking at buying a adirondack 31bk,dry weight 6368 lbs and 35 ft from bumper to hitch.wondering if my 2004 f250 5.4 engine with a 3.73 rear can pull this. also a number of people say pulling that long of a trailer is really terrible as far as handling? need advice from some vet. rvers. also i am keeping my truck so i know some pro deisel owners will tell me to buy a deisel, i would if i could afford it. my dad has a deisel excursion and i like it just as much as my truck. so lets just stick to my truck. thanks and thanks for the your replies.
Old 01-10-2005, 05:29 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
We have friends with a 28' Prowler and he felt that he could pull it with a 5.4L, 3.73 axle F-250, crew cab and he not happy and now looking to get a diesel. Besides the bad gas milage, he says he is tired of listening to the think rev in second gear to make a grade.

The 5.4L is just not a very strong runner and it is a bit thirsty. If you plan to keep the 5.4L, I'd look at a smaller trailer...max of about 26'.

Sorry for the negative report, but I have heard numerous folks complain about the poor power from a 5.4L.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 07:37 PM   #4

You need to punch the tables, learn the GVWR of truck and trailer and the truck GCWR. Weigh the truck and estimate what else you will have to add to make it tow this trailer. There is a good chance your truck will not be able to handle such a big trailer. You can probably tow it, but can you tow it fast enough to not hold up traffic? The other question would can you safely stop it?
Retired Navy. 2001 Quad Cab 2500 Auto w/4:10 rear end. PRXB Pac Brake. Miller Manufacturing Truck Bed Cover and Rigged to tow a 1995 29' Automate 5th wheel with 1 slide out
cwsoules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 04:11 AM   #5

the weight seems to be with in my limit,close to max. and as far as stopping the f250 have the same brakes as a f350 .it is a superduty. gas milage is not a issue, blowing the tranny or engine is.
Old 01-11-2005, 06:43 AM   #6

Kevin;

- The advice to weigh everything and check your GVWR and GAWR's is sound. Keep in mind that the trailer dry weight is sometimes way low once the unit is loaded up. For that reason I usually work off the trailer's GVWR rather than dry weight. That all having been said, I suspect you'll be within your ratings.
- So assuming you are within the manufacturer's recommended ratings, the next issue is power. Obviously more power is better, but whether you will be reasonably happy towing your trailer will depend (IMO) on how often you tow it and where you tow it. Interstates and mountain passes will be the worst, obviously.
- I've always found that my longer trailers towed better than the shorter ones, all things being equal.

good luck,
Dave
Old 01-11-2005, 08:25 AM   #7

Since your truck is a HD, you at least have the right chassis and brakes.

If I remember correctly, Ford boosted the HP and Tourque of the 2004 5.4L truck engine so it should not be as week as previous years. One thing that will hurt you is the rear axle ratio.
3.73 does not give you quite the same pulling power as 4.10 but one way to overcome this problem is to tow in low 3 all the time. (Frequent shifting causes extreme heat and early failures)
Towing in low 3 boosts the engine rpms (and therefore its power) close to where the truck could better manage the weight of the trailer and saves the transmission from shifting in and out of OD.

Never look at the trailer's dry weight as the measure of if your truck will tow it or not, use the trailers maximum weight instead. Know your maximums before you buy and get the rv weighed once loaded for a trip to give you an idea of where the numbers are.

Depending on the rv dealer, would they allow you to do a test tow on the highway to let you evaluate your truck with that load?

If you do tow anything, make sure you maintain your tow vehicle with yearly fluid changes of the tranmission and axle(s) on top of the regular engine oil changes.

Mike.
6MISFITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 02:53 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It will pull it but you won't like the results. Maybe 6mpg if you are lucky and you won't be going anywhere fast.