Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2022, 10:05 AM   #15

The hitch on your tow vehicle
Is important as well. The tounge weight
bouncing down a dirt road .. From just a look
On the webpage for your camper they
Show alot of smallish vehicles towing
This camper with quite a bit of squat to them..
Im a proponent of you can never have too much truck...you asked if we think its safe to
tow this..?? You must feel your close or you wouldnt ask right? Is buying a more capable tv
Something your considering?
I towed a 700 lb teardrop across the country
And back with a jetta tdi. Was I overweight..probably..I could certainly feel it back there..It all comes down to stopping the load in a panic situation... my prius could tow your camper...but its not a good tool for the job..
And then there is the added wear on a vehicle performing at or near its max.
varmonter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2022, 10:07 AM   #16

Thanks for all the info. I will load up the vehicle with items will be taking on the tri(clothes, food, etc) then take the camper to a CAT station and get everything weighed. I will report back with the results
I really do appreciate all the input here. I must say, it is very frustrating to be told by the Runaway sales team that my car would EASILY tow this camper. I even went to Camping World and asked about getting electric brakes and a brake controller installed, and the service person said I didn't need them. Hearing everybody's opinions today, I must say, gave me quite a bit of anxiety about towing this camper next month. I will get it weighed and report back.
I really appreciate all your input.

Darren
HarpoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 10:08 AM   #17

Seems like this trailer would be a good candidate for surge brakes, considering the types of vehicles that might frequently be towing them.

It sounds like the OP has the vehicle, and has the trailer. I don't think this setup is a disaster waiting to happen. My thoughts are a couple of short trips are going to make or break his decision in regards to wind issues and braking issues. Otherwise, the numbers don't look all that bad.
Old 05-12-2022, 10:17 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarpoM View Post
Thanks for all the info. I will load up the vehicle with items will be taking on the tri(clothes, food, etc) then take the camper to a CAT station and get everything weighed. I will report back with the results
I really do appreciate all the input here. I must say, it is very frustrating to be told by the Runaway sales team that my car would EASILY tow this camper. I even went to Camping World and asked about getting electric brakes and a brake controller installed, and the service person said I didn't need them. Hearing everybody's opinions today, I must say, gave me quite a bit of anxiety about towing this camper next month. I will get it weighed and report back.

Darren
I was told by a dealer that if my vehicle specs say it can tow 12,000 lbs then i can buy a 12,000 lb travel trailer from her..???
They want to sell you a camper...thats what they do...it would have been the same if you owned the camper and were buying the mazda.
I trust sales people as far as i can throw them.
varmonter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 10:23 AM   #19

That is true. But I really thought that having a 2000 lbs towing capacity, and purchasing an 840 lbs trailer, I would be able to add some equipment inside the camper and safely tow it.

I was looking at Scamp trailers last summer. Dry weight of 1800lbs. Not only did the dealer say I could tow it fine, but the Scamp forums also said I shouldn’t have a problem. Just drive slow they said

Darren
HarpoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 10:23 AM   #20

Quote:
Thanks for all the info. I will load up the vehicle with items will be taking on the trip(clothes, food, etc) then take the camper to a CAT station and get everything weighed. I will report back with the results

Darren
FYI, adding electric brakes and a brake controller would probably be a 1/3 of the cost of the trailer itself.

I suspect the groceries, ice chest and the cooking items (frying pan, grill/stove, utensils) will be some of the heaviest items and the kind of items that each trip you add to the weight.

Overall, this will probably not be a bad tow. I suspect you have not towed much, the biggest issue is take things slow. Your stopping distance will be increased. Your ability to accelerate from that stop sign will be reduced. Leaving more room for both acceleration maneuvers and braking maneuvers are critical.

Your regular maintenance schedule should be shelved. Oil changes and transmission fluid changes need to be more frequent when towing. Probably want to consider the radiator as well, that may be an issue. Modern vehicles seem to want you to flush the brake fluid more often than I have ever done, with the increased braking requirements, may want to consider.

On downhills, you want to use lower gears if the Mazda has that capability so you are not riding the brakes. Overheated brakes will not serve you well when you need them.

The most critical item to keep in mind. You purchased this trailer to have fun, go have fun. Maybe some of us will see you around a campfire one day.

Oh, and report back to us on your experience, you can add to our knowledge bank.
Old 05-12-2022, 10:57 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I do not see any trailer brakes listed and they do not show in the photo (with a 4 pin plug, there will be no brakes). Also, does the trailer have a propane tank, or batteries? These will add to the trailer weight. Also, is there a freshwater tank, water heater, etc. Any of the options will add to the base dry weight.

Now for the CX-5, Frontal area is a big concern as well as total weight when loaded. If you go ahead with this purchase, plan to get an external oil cooler for the transmission to keep it within design temperatures.

Also check your states as well as states where you will travel, for brake requirements on towed trailers. Some states are as low as 1500# GVWR for trailer brakes.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 11:04 AM   #22

Larger U-Haul trailers have surge brakes, and they are towed all the time by small vehicles.

I suggest getting a surge brake (they are $200-300 or so), and take the tow vehicle and trailer out for a test drive. Do some stopping tests, both light stops and heavy/quick stops, in a parking lot, and then on a road with no traffic...including a couple of hard "emergency" stops.

Rainy day? Try that as well...on an empty road.

If you feel comfortable driving during the tests, you will likely be fine.

If you feel uncomfortable driving during the tests, no amount advice is doing to change that.
hilgert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 06:13 PM   #23

Quote:
Hello. New member here.
I have a 2016 Mazda CX-5 that has a tow rating of 2000 lbs. I purchased a 2021 Runaway Rouser camper that has a dry weight of 840 lbs. Fully loaded and weight distributed of roughly 1450 lbs. I have a CURT 13315 class C trailer hitch, gross trailer weight of 4000 lbs.

Simple question. Can I safely tow this camper? I’m getting differing answers to this.

Thanks so much

Darren
I cannot answer your question authoritatively,
but I wouldn't recommend towing a trailer
with any vehicle that isn't rear or all-wheel-drive.
Also, hitches are rated by number, not letter, i.e.,
there's no such thing as a "class C" hitch.
For that little trailer, a "class 1" hitch would
be adequate, a "class 2" would be overkill,
and a "class 3" would be ridiculous.
Zulu Kono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 01:37 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by easycamper View Post
Sometimes the internet gets a bit carried away with things. Thatís a tiny camper. Youíll be fine with the CX-5.
I agree. It's fine. I doubt the axle has brakes but for that weight the 4 disc brakes on the Mazda will suffice.
CamperLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 06:51 AM   #25

Your head must be spinning with all the feedback here. When you report back with the weights, fill us in on intended use. Terrain, speed, distance do make a difference. Also do you have experience driving with a trailer attached?

My $.02? Ratings are based on when the vehicle was new. Yours is 6 years old with close to 100K miles? You lose performance and some maintenance issues should be addressed. My truck got new trans and rear diff fluid, trans cooler was already there. Added a scangage to monitor trans fluid temps. Put on new shocks all around and installed higher capacity springs. The springs will not actually increase capacity but they make carrying more load much smoother. So make sure your SUV is in excellent mechanical shape before the first trip.
MCCOHENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 07:02 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgert View Post
I suggest getting a surge brake (they are $200-300 or so), and take the tow vehicle and trailer out for a test drive. ...
Is it that easy to add surge brakes to a trailer? I would think a lot more utility style trailers would have surge brakes for that costs. If I was purchasing a utility trailer without electric brakes, I think I would have forked over $200 to get surge brakes on anything but the smallest of trailers.

- I tend to look at this trailer and put it in the category almost of a utility trailer as opposed to a travel trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCCOHENS View Post

My $.02? Ratings are based on when the vehicle was new. Yours is 6 years old with close to 100K miles? You lose performance and some maintenance issues should be addressed. My truck got new trans and rear diff fluid, trans cooler was already there. Added a scangage to monitor trans fluid temps. Put on new shocks all around and installed higher capacity springs. The springs will not actually increase capacity but they make carrying more load much smoother. So make sure your SUV is in excellent mechanical shape before the first trip.
I agree, I get a little nervous with a vehicle with over 100K towing. My upsize to the Silverado from my Canyon was because my Canyon had over 100K and wife was wanting to upgrade from our popup. I was having trouble keeping her in a size that I was comfortable towing with an almost 6 year old vehicle with 100K.

Is it that easy to upgrade springs on a crossover SUV? Sure, probably pretty easy on a body-on-frame truck where people are upgrading various systems all of the time, but the demand for upgraded capacity on a Mazda CX-5 is probably minimal at best. All the other items, including the new shocks, are great ideas.
Old 05-13-2022, 09:09 AM   #27

I called Runaway Campers to ask about this particular trailer model. The person I spoke with said that many of these are towed with small vehicles with no trailer braking, and he mentioned the CX-5 among those vehicles (I had not yet told him what the tow vehicle was).

He also confirmed that trailer does not typically come with brakes. I did not quiz him further on what "typically" meant as it really does not matter at this point...I was asking about surge brakes, which he said should not be necessary.

This is of course from the manufacturer, whose primary mission is to sell trailers.

That all being said, if neither the trailer nor the tow vehicle were loaded heavily, things would likely be fine.

I still suggest taking the combination out for practice in parking lots and back roads to do some simulated emergency stops, both straight and while cornering. And of course don't follow vehicles in front too close...leave lots of room for the unexpected (which will happen...unexpectedly).

One concern I would have is extend downhill runs, which require careful brake pedal management to avoid overheating. This may require some down-shifting, etc. This is no different than towing any trailer...don't overheat the brakes.
hilgert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 10:00 AM   #28

On the brake issue; trailers under 3500lbs GVWR typically don't have brakes and installing them would mean a new axle, wiring (elec) or coupler and hydraulic lines (surge). I wouldn't even consider trying to add brakes on a 1450lb GVWR trailer.

2 cents,
Dave

Tags
tow