Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2022, 05:45 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ. View Post
There is an app for that, though I've never used it and haven't been on a CAT scale for years.

If you travel in WA or OR you can stop and weigh at any closed weigh station for free, they leave the system up and running with a weight display sign active. Not sure about other states.

I take our Trek to the local recycling center/landfill with something to be turned in when I want to weigh it. They have an outside display sign so I just drive really slow onto the scale to get axle weights. You have to do a little math to get to your numbers. Perhaps one near you would be similar.

Virtually all landfills have a scale as well as grain elevators. A lot of them will weigh you for free or a smaller fee than a CAT scale. Just go there or give the weighmaster a call on their procedure.
Thanks.
Redfour5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2022, 06:28 AM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by propchef View Post

What? Have a source for this? The Ram 1500 and the Chrystler 300 are nearly identical except for the body, and the 300 has a lower center of gravity.

In Europe, the BMW 5 series sedan is the most popular tow vehicle and consistently wins awards. It has the same running gear and accessories as the X5.

Huh? The 1500 is body on frame the 300 has a maximum tow capacity of 1,000 pounds as it’s a unibody. Sheer horsepower doesn’t mean diddly in towing capacity, or I could tow well over 10,000 with the hellcat. Unibody hitches are basically large fender washers in stamped sheet metal.
Old 05-21-2022, 06:44 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbircky View Post
Huh? The 1500 is body on frame the 300 has a maximum tow capacity of 1,000 pounds as it’s a unibody. Sheer horsepower doesn’t mean diddly in towing capacity, or I could tow well over 10,000 with the hellcat. Unibody hitches are basically large fender washers in stamped sheet metal.
Some unibody hitches attach directly to differential housing so they can be quite sturdy.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 06:53 AM   #46

How to use a CAT scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfour5 View Post
Many people have never weighed their units. Would someone explain the process in detail. I see the Cat scales at Truck Stops. What do you do? Do you just drive onto it or do you have to go inside and pay for it? What's the process? Do you drive your vehicle on and leave your trailer off? Do you put the whole rig on and then deduct the numbers off of your sticker on your door? What are you looking at? Are there other places than truck stops?
Not all CAT scales are the same, but most are similar.

Load up your tow vehicle for travel.
Load up your TT for travel.

Drive onto the scale. Tow vehicle goes on one platform, and trailer on another.
Weights are recorded.
Go inside and Pay $15 to $20.
Get printed report.
Report shows axle weights and total weights.

The CAT scale I used could not measure front and rear axle of my tow vehicle separately. Apparently the TV was not long enough to reach the third platform.

Drop the trailer in the lot.
Weight the TV a second time.
Go inside and Pay $15 to $20.
Get printed report.
Subtract TV total without trailer from TV with trailer.
That will be the tongue weight.
Check TV hitch receiver max capacity against tongue weight.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 07:32 AM   #47

Quote:

It’s the same engine, transmission, brakes and the suspension is very similar.

You have no idea what your talking about in regards to unibody hitches.
propchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 08:02 AM   #48

My wife drives a 2016 Mazda CX 5. The first sentence in the owner's manual regarding trailer towing says it was built primarily to carry passengers and cargo. Aside from the already referenced 2,OOO# towing limit, it also says the frontal area of what's being towed shouldn't exceed 32 sq. ft. with the added stipulation that towing anything over 1,000# requires trailer brakes.
Old 05-21-2022, 08:45 AM   #49

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
It would be short (under 100 miles) and slow (55 mph) trips for me if I had a setup like that.

If that's the case, go for it, but be very careful.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 11:10 AM   #50

towing

To each his own. I would never tow anything of any significant weight with my car. Like I say that's what trucks are for. Cars are not built like a truck.
skier1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 04:37 AM   #51

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by propchef View Post
It’s the same engine, transmission, brakes and the suspension is very similar.

You have no idea what your talking about in regards to unibody hitches.

Yet the manufacturer only says the 300 can tow 1,000 pounds and the 1500 can tow 6,150 to 7,730 with the same engine, transmission, brakes, and similar (?) suspension. What’s left that’s different? Here’s a clue, look underneath both. Power alone is not what is required to safely handle heavy trailers. I’ll go with what a manufacturer and their engineers and liability attorneys back.
Old 05-22-2022, 06:26 AM   #52

Quote:
Yet the manufacturer only says the 300 can tow 1,000 pounds and the 1500 can tow 6,150 to 7,730 with the same engine, transmission, brakes, and similar (?) suspension. What’s left that’s different? Here’s a clue, look underneath both. Power alone is not what is required to safely handle heavy trailers. I’ll go with what a manufacturer and their engineers and liability attorneys back.
You are completely correct and that's my point. They're rated differently for what reason? HINT: It has nothing to do with safety or capability. When you look underneath, what are you looking at? I know, do you?

The BMW is another example. The 5 series sedan wins awards and is a great tow vehicle...everywhere but here. Why is that?

BTW, here's a Chrystler 300 pulling a triple-axle Airstream without issue. This rig has many thousands of miles. The same guy has a Tesla model S that tows a 30' AS. Another sedan.

Please stop saying sedans can't tow unless you bring some examples why.
propchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 07:10 AM   #53

Wow, again, so much misinformation here

I have never, ever seen a hitch attached to a differential housing. It makes absolutely no sense, as any diff housing, even a relatively fixed one such as a Chrysler 300 , is mounted on rubber bushings and needs to flex.

A chrysler 300 uses wimpy CV axles out back. The brakes and suspension simply are NOT rated for heavy towing, and any type of mod is simply a bad patch job for an inadequate tow vehicle.

Sure, some cars and SUVs can tow 5000lbs, some maybe a bit more, but you won't see any of those lasting 200 000km doing so, nor will the tow experience be anything enjoyable nor confidence-inspiring.

No sedan or wagon that I know of have a suspension even close to what the average pickup has out back.

Wheelbase of just about all sedans, wagons and SUVs are much shorter than the average pickup. This really affects stability.

European Rvs tend to be much lighter and more compact than anything we tow in North America. The comparisons are not valid.

No sedan, wagon or typical SUV has much leftover capacity to the cooling systems, trans fluid temps, braking capacity vs even the wimpiest pickup.

Come on folks, if you know nothing about it best thing is to not post. Giving out 100% erroneous info is helping no one and possibly putting some in danger.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 07:22 AM   #54

FWIW Can-Am RV center seems to love promoting unsafe towing, it's their moneymaker by tacking on expensive patches that only address some of the shortcomings their vehicle has.

Until someone dies or kills others due to inadequate brakes, suspension or even tires, nothing will change.

When some folk bring them to court over premature breakage of engine, transmission and other expensive parts, maybe that will change, but I still doubt it.

Suffice it to say, if you need to spend big $$$$, lots of time and severe modifications, or even 2000$+ hitches just to "make the trip", you don't have enough tow vehicle.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 09:53 AM   #55

Crysler 300 the same as a Ram 1500 is another bogus statement.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 08:57 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarpoM View Post
Hello. New member here.
I have a 2016 Mazda CX-5 that has a tow rating of 2000 lbs. I purchased a 2021 Runaway Rouser camper that has a dry weight of 840 lbs. Fully loaded and weight distributed of roughly 1450 lbs. I have a CURT 13315 class C trailer hitch, gross trailer weight of 4000 lbs.

Simple question. Can I safely tow this camper? I’m getting differing answers to this.

Thanks so much

Darren
That Mazda SUV is perfectly fine towing that and a tad more.

Tags
tow