Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2022, 07:34 AM   #15

I agree with those who say your tongue is too light. Sway is a symptom of light tongue. Certainly a WDH with sway reduction should help reduce occasional sway.

Actual weights are what matter the most. Take the rig to a commercial scale. Weigh with the trailer attached. Weigh truck without the trailer attached. Difference in rear axle weight is the tongue weight. 10 to 15% is required for stable towing. Shift load forward in TT if necessary.

The individual trucks of the same model have different towing maximums. Check the weight sticker in the trucks door frame or look it up on manufacturers website by VIN number.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2022, 09:08 AM   #16

Welcome to the group. We all LOVE telling a newbie what to do when pulling. Read a lot, utube is helpful too. I was where you are a few years ago, travel trailers are not like small boat trailers, etc more like a 3 ton parachute. But from my experience:
Accept that the ride and handling will always be different than not towing. How much different is a personal preference and financial issue. Look at the terrain and distances you plan on travelling.
Weigh the trailer, tongue weight and look up the numbers for your truck. Check the condition of truck tires, rear springs, shocks.
Learn how to set up a WDH, if you don't have one try to find a used basic one as things may change. Don't go buying a thousand dollar one thinking it will cure all your woes.
Don't make the WDH cure all your woes. A stiffer set of leaf springs, new shocks and higher load tires make a world of difference.
MCCOHENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 09:11 AM   #17

We had a 2008 Frontier CrewCab 4x4 that we used to tow 2 different trailers. Both maxed out at 6k pounds and loaded for trips were right at 5k. We traveled coast to coast and New England to Floridia. At first we used a cheap, generic weight distribution hitch and felt that push from lots of vehicles that passed us. Never had a sway issue. Switched to an Andersen hitch and difference was huge. Also, I put on LT tires, aired up when towing.
The Frontier had a payload of around 1300 pounds. We used every bit of it. According to CAT scales, we were also close to max on both front and rear axles. With the Andersen, there was no problem returning the front axle to specs in the manual and being level. Tongue weight was between 12% and 13% of loaded weight, usually about 650 lbs. Power was never a worry.
So, as far as your situation, you really should have no problem towing that trailer with the Frontier as long as you get it set up properly.
Do some research on truck and trailer weights and apply them to your rig.
Kipkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 03:05 PM   #18

No way would I try to tow a 6,000lb trailer with a little Nissan Frontier more than a 1 way trip on a back road to a farmers barn.

IMHO towing that much with a little truck puts other innocent people at risk.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 05:45 PM   #19

Can you tow it safely? Probably. Would you want to, though. I tried a 4000lb loaded trailer with a 22 Tacoma. It did it. Was it fun? No. I own a half ton truck now.
Wire4money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 09:35 AM   #20

what they said; a 6,000 lb trailer is well into 1/2 ton territory.....and getting close to 3/4 ton - the Nissan is just too small a truck for that trailer.

Dave
Old 10-13-2022, 03:13 PM   #21

I definitely agree with all others who've said you need to have a Weight Distributing Anti-Sway hitch. I tow a 27' TT with approx 7500 GVWR with my RAM 1500 5.7L 4x4. I would not want to drive it anywhere more than down a short back road without the WDH and sway bars. Even with that, I'm fairly cautious when passed by a semi blowing down the interstate.
Johnowolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 05:02 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
What you want to go by is the trailers GVWR. This is the most the loaded trailer can weigh within ratings. As noted, use 10 to 12% of the trailer GVWR for the loaded hitch weight. Your loaded pin weight is going to be about 684 LB. Take this number and add the weight of the weight distributing hitch system, passengers in the truck and any cargo loaded in the bed. This total will need to be below the Nissan payload capacity.

Each axle is rated to carry the weight per the data plate. Depending on how you have the trailer loaded and whether it is level or not, you will not have the same load on each axle.

If you have the trailer loaded, you are most likely over the truck's capacity.

Ken
This rating is found on the sticker inside the drivers door pillar. Towingplanner.com has all of the answers.
boogiejack75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 05:59 PM   #23

[QUOTE=ebeth4164;6328764]We bought a used 2002 Fleetwood Mallard Lite. The sticker on the camper says GAWR: 2850lb. and GVWR: 5700lb. We've never towed a trailer before. We have a 2016 Nissan Frontier 4WD Extended cab. We thought the numbers checked out for safety but there was a good bit of sway last night when being passed by big rigs and a little going down hill. Why does the weight on the sticker say "per axle" after? It has 2 axles... Surely this 20ft camper doesn't weigh double what we thought it did right? I'm certain that is a dumb question. Is this just scary for us because we are new to towing or is this trailer not a good fit for our truck? Thanks for your help.

Your trailer's empty weight is about 3500 lbs. With typical clothing, tools, food, and rec gear you'll probably be under at about 4500# the trailer's GVWR of 5700#. Clearly not a problem especially if you don't load water before travel. The "tow capacity" of your Frontier (assuming it's a V-6) is 6,000# at altitudes up to 3000ft. - a GCWR is not stated, so the tow weight is okay.
However, the "payload" of your Frontier is 1125# without upgrades such as larger springs. When you subtract the tongue weight of the trailer (should be about 500# to prevent sway), that leaves you 625# you can put in the truck of people, fuel, and other stuff.

Sounds like mathematically you're pushing the limits of the truck without mods, but the trailer can likely accommodate your needs.
dhschultz39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 07:03 PM   #24

A weight distribution hitch is a good idea on any trailer, even if not technically required. Try one before you give up and sell. A full size truck would solve your problem, but I would recommend a weight distribution hitch even with the larger truck.
Bogus JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 10:09 AM   #25

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
In 2013 I had a 2012 Suzuki Equator (rebrand of a Nissan Frontier) and purchased a 2012 Keystone Passport. All the weights were within specs and it was a white knuckle tow. Same problem you are having. Also could only go about 100 miles between fuel ups, due to the small tank. Replaced the truck with a 2014 Ram 1500 Hemi. Very different experience. The truck capabilities was little different that the Suzuki and the main difference was wheel track width and length. Later ordered a 5th wheel and upgraded the truck to an F350 which we towed the Passport on one final journey of about 2800 miles. It handled the Passport the same as the Ram, with the equalizer hitch with sway control used on the Ram and the Suzuki.

Your basic problem is the wheel track and base, you need a bigger truck.
Old 10-14-2022, 01:48 PM   #26

[QUOTE=dhschultz39;6333277]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebeth4164 View Post
We bought a used 2002 Fleetwood Mallard Lite. The sticker on the camper says GAWR: 2850lb. and GVWR: 5700lb. We've never towed a trailer before. We have a 2016 Nissan Frontier 4WD Extended cab. We thought the numbers checked out for safety but there was a good bit of sway last night when being passed by big rigs and a little going down hill. Why does the weight on the sticker say "per axle" after? It has 2 axles... Surely this 20ft camper doesn't weigh double what we thought it did right? I'm certain that is a dumb question. Is this just scary for us because we are new to towing or is this trailer not a good fit for our truck? Thanks for your help.

Your trailer's empty weight is about 3500 lbs. With typical clothing, tools, food, and rec gear you'll probably be under at about 4500# the trailer's GVWR of 5700#. Clearly not a problem especially if you don't load water before travel. The "tow capacity" of your Frontier (assuming it's a V-6) is 6,000# at altitudes up to 3000ft. - a GCWR is not stated, so the tow weight is okay.
However, the "payload" of your Frontier is 1125# without upgrades such as larger springs. When you subtract the tongue weight of the trailer (should be about 500# to prevent sway), that leaves you 625# you can put in the truck of people, fuel, and other stuff.

Sounds like mathematically you're pushing the limits of the truck without mods, but the trailer can likely accommodate your needs.
Modifications to the truck DO NOT MAKE IT A LEGAL TOWING VEHICLE, poor recommendations to someone who is a Newbie!!
almacd1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 01:59 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Might find this simple video helpful to understand weight distribution.

RVStitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 04:24 PM   #28

This is one of the best videos out there.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow