Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2021, 03:37 PM   #127

Be careful about that Billett. Between GM and Ram, it use to be, and may still be, like identical twin chicks. The rear ends are pretty much the same.

Lol, i couldn't resist either.
fvstringpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2021, 03:49 PM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvstringpicker View Post
Be careful about that Billett. Between GM and Ram, it use to be, and may still be, like identical twin chicks. The rear ends are pretty much the same.

Lol, i couldn't resist either.
Too shaeeeee
20 ram 3500 ho hd drw Laramie Cummins/aisin w/410 & auto level air suspension with max tow . BILLET silver sport ext. w/ black int. with 12" monitor with all safety features, camera , & luxuries. Full timers & building a Luxe 48fb w/ side patio.
Billett Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 04:05 PM   #129

I personally like that sticker. It tells you limitation information on that particular truck. It takes all the guess work out of myiad of truck configuations and eliminates marketing hype. I would like to see Ford, Ram, Toyota and Nissan do the same label.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 07:23 AM   #130

"KERB WEIGHT, the edge of a raised path nearest the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
Looked at 2021 truck today and guess what it had? A sticker that sets the limits on the truck and even uses that word "MUST". This was on the door jam...I guess this sums it.
The gross weight is the curb weight plus payload. It’s often represented by the letters GVWR for gross vehicle weight rating. When examining the placard with the curb weight and payload information, you’ll see two additional numbers that represent the gross axle weight rating (GAWR). This is the maximum weight you can safely place on each axle.

Curb weight (American English) or kerb weight (British English) is the total mass of a vehicle with standard equipment and all necessary operating consumables such as motor oil, transmission oil, brake fluid, coolant, air conditioning refrigerant, and sometimes a full tank of fuel, while not loaded with either passengers or cargo.

CURB IMPLYING on a public road, not a off highway situation,
alpenlite29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 07:41 AM   #131

Quote:
Looked at 2021 truck today and guess what it had? A sticker that sets the limits on the truck and even uses that word "MUST". This was on the door jam...I guess this sums it.
What were the details on the truck? I can guess but rather have exact.

Find it odd they didn't bother to tell you the FGAWR.
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 08:03 PM   #132

Regardless of what you may or may not be able to do re an increased payload, the vehicle as a whole has been designed to carry a specific maximum. The maker's accountants will have made sure there is no excess!

Collyn (ex Vauxhall/Bedford Research Centre)
Collyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 08:39 PM   #133

Quote:
CWSWine.......THANKS for quoting me. Saved me from having to type that all again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedlam View Post
Obviously that sticker was designed by a lawyer. It says you cannot exceed your curb weight.
Bedlam.......
LOVE IT.
States right there.....must not exceed and then list the ratings and includes CURB weight

That shows a lot of thinking/wordsmithing/research/fore thought went into that sticker..........
OK maybe NOT...probably just a room full of lawyers and said "that's covers it all---good job"
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 10:15 AM   #134

Tow ratings is it

the design limitation
the lawyers
the roads
the driver skill set
the rules of the road

But it is what it is, trying to up it is a Herculean task, mechanically and legally too so best to up the vehicle caliber.

https://youtu.be/xb45eCAgeI8

Speed kills and we cannot count on others to keep their part of the safety equation therefore must create a big margin for error correction!
Old 03-11-2021, 03:12 PM   #135

So many things wrong with that story:

1. Changing lanes in a construction zone
2. Driving faster than the flow of traffic (reason for the lane change)
3. 1/2t truck towing a toyhauler

The driver was cited and I agree with the police.
Old 03-20-2021, 08:41 AM   #136

Factory payload or axle weight ratings cannot be increased beyond what the factory designed it for. If you need more payload capacity than your original vehicle, trade or sell your vehicle and go to the next level (e.g. from 1500 to a 2500 OR 2500 to a 3500). More leaf springs, air bags, widgets will not increase it one pound.

18 Silverado 2500HD 4wd 6.0L gasser w/4.10 ratio
Tracer Breeze TT 19MRB
AK Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 08:52 AM   #137
laj

I’ve never hauled anything with a sticker yet. Not about to try and start now.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 11:30 AM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Fish View Post
Factory payload or axle weight ratings cannot be increased beyond what the factory designed it for. If you need more payload capacity than your original vehicle, trade or sell your vehicle and go to the next level (e.g. from 1500 to a 2500 OR 2500 to a 3500). More leaf springs, air bags, widgets will not increase it one pound.

Tracer Breeze TT 19MRB

Actually you can; albeit your modifications will not be officially "recognized" and that's what folks are really talking about here. But your truck will handle more weight. During the past decade, my buddies, who are diesel mechanics, built a couple to pull in sled competitions. If you don't think those bad boys could handle more weight than the showroom variety, I don't know how to convince you.

You know that GM has tested the differential, housing and components of your truck (well not yours, but one like it) to 10,716 pounds of load without distortion and the axle and bearing to ~ 18,000 without distortion. and that's the gas version, which has lighter components. (unless its the 454 with the Allison)

When you think about it, you sort of get the impression the axles and running gear will handle more than the sticker sez when youre off road and come off maybe a three foot embankment and the truck acts like it fell on a cushion and just keeps on trucking.
fvstringpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 06:31 AM   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Fish View Post

Tracer Breeze TT 19MRB

Good luck trying to find a 2500. Dealers lots can't even keep 1500's in stock. 2500's and above are non-existent
I had one ordered in early 2019. Dealer said it would be 12-18 weeks out because of the GM strike in late 2018. Then Covid hit, plants shut down. The dealer called me to let m know they could not even order the truck.
This dealer used to stock over 100 trucks. Now his lot is just about empty. Search online for heavy duty trucks. Or any truck for that matter.
glwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 06:56 AM   #140

I am seeing the same thing as glwinger. 250/2500 and 350/3500 trucks are in short supply at my local dealers. My Chevy dealer had zero 2500/3500 trucks just two days ago.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote