Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2021, 09:06 AM   #29

Nick - A private individual with machine shop access built his own hauler bed. It turned out just like an outfitters hauler bed but was actually one of a kind. He was not registered with the state to supply the payload numbers. If I remember right it took 4 or 5 months to get all the i's dotted and t's crossed. The State of Pennsylvania did not understand he built it himself. Again, it looked good but cost 1/4 as much as a pre-built hauler bed.

He sent if off to have it painted to match the truck. I had pictures of it but on an old old phone. It looked like a factory built hauler bed. It was made out of aluminum.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2021, 12:29 PM   #30

I just want to add to rebut a couple prior posts about how expensive it can get to change your Gvwr. Here is my expenses
1: $11.00 cat scale
2: $7.00 license plate tag sticker increase from currently rated 14k
3: $75.00 bi annually price increase with my insurance co.

Ill also add that in regards to voiding manufacturers warranty. Anytime one uses any non manufacturer approved lubes or does any non manufacturers approved mods, you will be in the same boat. The manufacturer has to be able to prove with out any doubt what specifically caused the parts failure to deny claim. Kind of like does anyone show up for service work with your dead pedal bypass plugged into the obdll port, some will but most probably un plug first. Who in there right or not quite right mind is going to show up at dealership to file a cracked frame claim while there hooked up to there 30k fiver wich puts you 1k over in pl. Just saying
20 ram 3500 ho hd drw Laramie Cummins/aisin w/410 & auto level air suspension with max tow . BILLET silver sport ext. w/ black int. with 12" monitor with all safety features, camera , & luxuries. Full timers & building a Luxe 48fb w/ side patio.
Billett Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 12:40 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billett Bee View Post
I just want to add to rebut a couple prior posts about how expensive it can get to change your Gvwr. Here is my expenses
1: $11.00 cat scale
2: $7.00 license plate tag sticker increase from currently rated 14k
3: $75.00 bi annually price increase with my insurance co.

Ill also add that in regards to voiding manufacturers warranty. Anytime one uses any non manufacturer approved lubes or does any non manufacturers approved mods, you will be in the same boat. The manufacturer has to be able to prove with out any doubt what specifically caused the parts failure to deny claim. Kind of like does anyone show up for service work with your dead pedal bypass plugged into the obdll port, some will but most probably un plug first. Who in there right or not quite right mind is going to show up at dealership to file a cracked frame claim while there hooked up to there 30k fiver wich puts you 1k over in pl. Just saying
There is no truth to this post. None of the numbers you showed actually changed the truck. Also the Magnuson Moss act you are referring to would directly apply to suspension related issues or any issues that arose from mods that were
made to increase payload. The act only applies to directly attributable changes. Show me what you did to increase payload of the truck. And show how it was approved for use. Not what it costs to file.
ardvark16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 01:00 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardvark16 View Post
There is no truth to this post. None of the numbers you showed actually changed the truck. Also the Magnuson Moss act you are referring to would directly apply to suspension related issues or any issues that arose from mods that were
made to increase payload. The act only applies to directly attributable changes. Show me what you did to increase payload of the truck. And show how it was approved for use. Not what it costs to file.
First off, no need to get nasty and imply a member is lying.
Second, that's the whole point. These trucks are de rated by manufacturer to keep it a class 3 vehicle so they can all duke it out to be the class 3 leading manufacturer. All the major components are all ready rated for more than the manufacturers 14k rating. No improvements need to be made, just scale it, re register it, adjust insurance rate. It really doesn't have to be any harder than that. Yes it does take some back and forth time. After all my research, I have not yet found anything on my truck that limits it's capabilities to only 14k except for a door jam tag.
My whole point and premise behind warranty concerns is to solely show that generally manufacturers will try to get out of every claim they can. You hold them to account and make them prove there case, they can't, they just try the bullying tactic. Probably quite a few of us don't follow all the warranty requirements to a tee. My wife is so obsessed with warranty concerns, she did not feel comfortable with me getting the 25k companion puck and wanted me to stick with the 30k mopar puck, so nothing could be said about anything aftermarket or not 100% approved so to not give manufacturer any legs to stand on. We can't worry about every little thing, they are not going to play nice but they have to prove it without a shadow of a doubt.
I would hope we don't have any liers here, just personal experiences and opinions and nobody would post something that was un true
20 ram 3500 ho hd drw Laramie Cummins/aisin w/410 & auto level air suspension with max tow . BILLET silver sport ext. w/ black int. with 12" monitor with all safety features, camera , & luxuries. Full timers & building a Luxe 48fb w/ side patio.
Old 02-25-2021, 01:01 PM   #33

In the USA Mfg GVWR/Payload (which is GVWR minus UVW) are issues that would not get you a ticket....axle/tire ratings can/do/will

States don't even recognize MFG GVWR or they would NOT allow registering at a higher GVWR

Axle/Tire load ratings..stay at/under those and go camping
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 01:06 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
In the USA Mfg GVWR/Payload (which is GVWR minus UVW) are issues that would not get you a ticket....axle/tire ratings can/do/will

States don't even recognize MFG GVWR or they would NOT allow registering at a higher GVWR

Axle/Tire load ratings..stay at/under those and go camping
Old 02-25-2021, 02:33 PM   #35

Ford 250/350 rear axle rating - my understanding was GAS - F-250/350 the same rear axle. DIESEL - F250/350 same rear axle but different than the GAS versions.

Still unclear if GM and Ram 2500/3500 are the same or different.
Old 02-25-2021, 04:14 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Ford 250/350 rear axle rating - my understanding was GAS - F-250/350 the same rear axle. DIESEL - F250/350 same rear axle but different than the GAS versions.

Still unclear if GM and Ram 2500/3500 are the same or different.
Not sure on the current RAM (2014+) but they used to be the same; not sure now but keep in mind that the current Ram 2500 has a completely different suspension system than the 3500 (coils vs. leafs).....I'd go with the 3500 for my use based on that alone.

No idea on the GM.

Dave
Old 02-25-2021, 04:38 PM   #37

Not sure if its true today but both the diesel versions of Ram and GM 2500 and 3500 used the 11.5 AAM axles on both SWD and DWD trucks. Every gas version of these trucks that I've seen, except the 454 cu in GMC, used the 10.5 AAM.
I respect to change the payload rating with mods, I agree with most. My classic 94 Z71 w/5.7 engine is rated at 200hp. Adding a performance cam, cold air intake, 3 inch exhaust, porting the heads, and tuning the computer didn't do a thing to change what the engine was rated it according the the Vin number. It forever stuck at 200 hp.
fvstringpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 05:29 PM   #38

My drw 3500 has the 12" aam rear axle. I would agree on the mods. You can make all your up grades you want. Kind of like my loaded up Laramie. Pretty much got everything the limited has got, but no matter what was added, it will always be a Laramie and worth less than a limited. Wich is honestly why I went with it in the first place, to save 6k. Normally that will only come in to affect for resale purposes. Most dealers and individuals aren't going to pay more for the mods you added, unless you get some clueless kid. I always look at mods like, don't do it to increase the value of your vehicle, do it because you will enjoy it more.
Old 02-25-2021, 06:05 PM   #39

Uhhhhh. I guess. Who needs an engineer. We have the internets.
ardvark16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 07:20 PM   #40

I guarantee you that there is an engineer that will sign off on increasing the payload on anything. I have built quite a number of buildings that were identical except for who did the engineering and the differences were at times dramatic.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 07:57 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
You can register truck for a Higher GVW then what is on the Mfg Data Sticker/Certification Label

You can add all the airbags, springs/coils, install higher load rated tires but the Rear Axle is going to be your MAX Limit regardless of other modifications
See what your trucks RAWR is....Data/Certification/Tire Load Stickers and THAT is what you can load truck up to
Not exactly. My 1999 GMC 2500 has a RAWR of 6000lbs and a FAWR of 4100lbs. That totals 10,100lbs. The GVWR is 8600lbs. If I put 6000lbs on the rear axle, I’ll be over GVWR. With just me in the truck it weighs 5250lbs. I have 3350lbs of payload.

Maybe, if I put all my gold bars behind the rear axle, right against the tailgate, I could load the rear axle to 6000lbs and cantilever enough weight off the front axle. At a weight of 5250lbs the front axle has a load of about 3000lbs, so I’d have to lighten it to 2600lbs to be at GVWR with the rear axle at 6000lbs.

Put me in the No, you can’t add more payload group.
You need a bigger truck or a smaller trailer.
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 03:43 AM   #42

You can increase payload but it will cost too much and it is far less expensive to just buy a bigger truck.

Look at this custom 6x6 truck.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210226-054027.jpeg
Views:	22
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	319342