Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2021, 09:02 AM   #57

What are you hauling? Single wide mobile homes? 2 monster bulldozers? 53' Space Craft 5th wheel?

Post a picture please - I gotta see what you are towing.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2021, 10:19 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
What are you hauling? Single wide mobile homes? 2 monster bulldozers? 53' Space Craft 5th wheel?

Post a picture please - I gotta see what you are towing.
I dont have it yet as we are scheduled to submit build in May and then hopefully by the end of September well take ownership. It's going to be a luxe 48fb w/ side patio. Its gvwr is 25,999. Ironic how its 1 lb below that 26k taboo number, but they also say its rated for much more, as i plan to have it closer to 30k with my smart car ijn the garage. Here is a picture of someone's 48fb, again not mine, but similar design.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210218-230519.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	304.9 KB
ID:	319389   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210218-224711.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	202.3 KB
ID:	319390  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1612225790336_image.png
Views:	21
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	319391  
20 ram 3500 ho hd drw Laramie Cummins/aisin w/410 & auto level air suspension with max tow . BILLET silver sport ext. w/ black int. with 12" monitor with all safety features, camera , & luxuries. Full timers & building a Luxe 48fb w/ side patio.
Billett Bee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 01:32 PM   #59

I wonder why manufacturers even bother to hire engineers and label their vehicles with weight limits, when a clerk can just change a number to whatever suits an owners needs. All I can come up with, is that it s intended to discourage owners from using a vehicle in a manner or for a purpose for which it was not designed.
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 01:43 PM   #60

Wow - very very nice. Yep, those are very big and heavy 5th wheels.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 01:45 PM   #61

Or, in my view, solely for the purpose of marketing. Everyone wants to be the class leader, nobody wants to have products at the bottom of a class, no bragging rights or awards in that.
20 ram 3500 ho hd drw Laramie Cummins/aisin w/410 & auto level air suspension with max tow . BILLET silver sport ext. w/ black int. with 12" monitor with all safety features, camera , & luxuries. Full timers & building a Luxe 48fb w/ side patio.
Old 02-26-2021, 01:48 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Wow - very very nice. Yep, those are very big and heavy 5th wheels.
thanks. Around 23k empty, little over 48' long. Best part is customizing it to your wants and needs. Were looking forward to it, it's our final forever home, whether it be rumbling Down the rd or parked in a retirement village somewhere.
Old 02-26-2021, 02:16 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billett Bee View Post
thanks. Around 23k empty, little over 48' long. Best part is customizing it to your wants and needs. Were looking forward to it, it's our final forever home, whether it be rumbling Down the rd or parked in a retirement village somewhere.
Nice! If I'm lucky, my final forever home will be some fancy vase, but I suspect it'll likely be an empty coffee can or something like that, then they can empty at will and reuse the can for something useful, like collecting nuts and bolts.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 02:44 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billett Bee View Post
Or, in my view, solely for the purpose of marketing. Everyone wants to be the class leader, nobody wants to have products at the bottom of a class, no bragging rights or awards in that.
Are they bragging and winning awards based on their published capacities and limits or what some random guy is doing with one of their vehicles?

If it can safely tow 40K or 45K, why would they publish a maximum towing capacity of 35K? If it has an 8,000lb payload, why would the tell us it has a 7,000lb payload?

If they want to improve marketing and clean up at the awards ceremony, they should tell us what that baby can really do, instead of chipping away at each other 100lbs at a time.
Old 02-26-2021, 05:12 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Gloves View Post
Are they bragging and winning awards based on their published capacities and limits or what some random guy is doing with one of their vehicles?

If it can safely tow 40K or 45K, why would they publish a maximum towing capacity of 35K? If it has an 8,000lb payload, why would the tell us it has a 7,000lb payload?

If they want to improve marketing and clean up at the awards ceremony, they should tell us what that baby can really do, instead of chipping away at each other 100lbs at a time.
When you say tow 40-45k, I don't think I said that it can tow that much unless I'm having a brain Fart, wich I've been known to do. I believe I said a 43k gcwr , not trailer 43k . At the 43k gcwr, wich I'm going by, that gives a person a max trailer weight of 33-34k based on your truck up fitting and mods . So I would agree with your 35k , a little over yes I believe you could safely do it occasionally , but I would probably try to shed a few thousand to get closer between 30-35k. As far as advertised pl goes, we all know that number is solely based on vehicle empty weight and then limited to your Gvwr of wich a class 3 vehicle is up to 14,000lbs. Again marketing, pl is limited to weight class . If they say your pl is 8000lbs, and you can't change the empty vehicle weight, that means you have to change the gvwr to class 4 wich is rated up to 16,000 lbs. Its a whole lot better too sell something that is the class 3 leader than a mediocre class 4 and fall below maximum capacity for class 4. Now I know there is some folks out there that would buy a class 4 that ain't performing at the top but more than likely that market range would be a limited production.
Not to start another argument. My point is proven by just bringing up the f450s being a class 3. I'm obviously a ram guy but why was ford not satisfied with there f350 . The f350 wasn't class 3 leading, but the f450 sure as heck is but with the heavier 450 parts and the same class 3 rating, you suffer with a smaller pl but higher trailer tow. F450 could of been classed as a 4 imo. Most folks like I believe the 350/3500 Is better to go with over 450/4500 because of the more well balanced numbers.
I totally appreciate that all of our views are different and that's ok, but these are mine.
Old 02-26-2021, 05:17 PM   #66

A lot of the weight rating is determined by the wheel bearing load capability, altho a safety factor is built in at the design stage.
A friend built up a very nice business by buying pickups and SUVs whose owners put wide reversed wheel rims that destroyed the bearings and axles from overloads out past the design load point. Sudden catastrophic failure that usually occurred at highway speeds.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 05:54 PM   #67

Billett Bee,

Your sharing opinions as facts. You’ve said that today’s 3500’s can handle more than the manufacturer rates them for. While few, if any, vehicles will experience some sort of failure for being a few percent over a specified capacity, over is over. You intend to operate a truck at ~1000lbs over GVWR.

You’ve said that your camper has a GVWR of 25,999lbs and you intend to operate it at ~30,000lbs, because the manufacturer says it is rated higher than 25,999. Yet it isn’t.

Weight is weight and experience doesn’t change that. Besides, you’d look a whole lot cooler in a HDT with the Smart Car on the deck.
Old 02-26-2021, 06:46 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Gloves View Post
Billett Bee,

Your sharing opinions as facts. You’ve said that today’s 3500’s can handle more than the manufacturer rates them for. While few, if any, vehicles will experience some sort of failure for being a few percent over a specified capacity, over is over. You intend to operate a truck at ~1000lbs over GVWR.

You’ve said that your camper has a GVWR of 25,999lbs and you intend to operate it at ~30,000lbs, because the manufacturer says it is rated higher than 25,999. Yet it isn’t.

Weight is weight and experience doesn’t change that. Besides, you’d look a whole lot cooler in a HDT with the Smart Car on the deck.
Well i won't disagree with you on the hdt cool factor, but I've drove a big truck most all of my life so I not enamored with the big truck thang. Besides, i think I look pretty BA in my billet silver ram
You are also right, these are my opinions and not law. Law sais 14k, then it's up to the owner/ operator to do there own deep research into its capabilities and Decide on there own if it can handle more based on each specific parts manufacturer ratings, not the big 3 marketing dept. Then it's up to someone how they handle the legal side of things. Is there a loop hole to change things or does one just break the law. I believe there is a loop hole and fact is people have done it for years. Every person I've communicated with in any rv park where we are staying that had a 15k sticker on there plate, ill talk to them about it, and they say just what I've described. so that's not opinion, if people have done it. Either way sticker or not, I know the parts on my truck are at least rated for 15,750lbs and I'm going to operate it safely regardless. I'm just appeasing the wife by making us " legal, legit, and covered under our insurance" and trying to do the responsible thing.
We all also know allot of folks believe the magical 26k number means you have to have a cdl because its a commercial vehicle. That's why they rated it for 25,999, not because that's it's limitation. Again marketing. Yes your right the trailer will be over the gvwr for the trailer but how are they going to know that when each axle is under weight and the rest is sitting on the bed of the truck, wich that axle will also be under weight and your Gvwr is under. That's all that's ever measured when hauling , gawr on each axle and gcwr while hooked up. If you un hook from truck, then truck weighed on its own will be under gvwr and there not going to weigh the trailer on a full scale by itself. Recreational vehicles are not commercial vehicles, no matter what there weight. All though each state does rules and law enforcement differently based on there laws, but 99.9% will accept your states laws and codes and let you go. I'm not worried about that .01%.
I would also agree, weight is weight, but your experience level on how you handle the weight is different for everyone. Do I worry about someone else who had never operated a 100k vehicle before being behind the wheel of a 40k rv, you bet your rump I do. Im not worried in the least how I handle 40k or anyone like me with decades of past experience.
Those hdt's do look good though with the smart car and rig custom painted to match the rv. Those are the high rollers.
Old 02-26-2021, 07:28 PM   #69

I met a family with one of these Luxe 5ers last year at Cape May. The guy towed it with a nice light blue Volvo semi sleeper and a Jeep Wrangler between the semi truck and the trailer. He set the hitch a little behind the axle so he can park the Jeep behind the cab. He said the 5er is about 35000# loaded and he use to tow it with a F750 PSD chassis cab and he felt the TV is too light for the trailer.
You might be fine for weekend trips, but if you are a full timer, you probably want a HDT. A 1 ton DRW tow 30000# is like a 1/2 ton tow, maybe 10000#? That’s a lot weight to move.
nicky8668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 07:48 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky8668 View Post
I met a family with one of these Luxe 5ers last year at Cape May. The guy towed it with a nice light blue Volvo semi sleeper and a Jeep Wrangler between the semi truck and the trailer. He set the hitch a little behind the axle so he can park the Jeep behind the cab. He said the 5er is about 35000# loaded and he use to tow it with a F750 PSD chassis cab and he felt the TV is too light for the trailer.
You might be fine for weekend trips, but if you are a full timer, you probably want a HDT. A 1 ton DRW tow 30000# is like a 1/2 ton tow, maybe 10000#? That’s a lot weight to move.
Your right, that's allot of weight to move. Especially for someone who had not hauled big weight most of there lives. When your used to 100k and parts rattling off going down the rd and losing air brakes. A 40k set up ain't nothing but a kick back and cruise thang. I don't plan on bein near 35k, just 30k and with the tv capable of a 33,500 trailer and a combined load of 43,000, so I know my vehicle is capable . Bigger is always better but maybe not necessary. If I was hauling hot shot haulers across the country and non stopped worked the truck to death, then id be going hdt for sure.
There are allot of hdt's out there hauling luxes. Its definitly necessary with a new horizons fiver. You all think the luxe is nice and heavy. Check out the new horizons or spacecraft, aint no 3500 hauling those around unless its a 35 footer. Plus there an extra $50-$100 k to boot.