Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2021, 04:35 PM   #85

Well, this is a long thread after first few "no" answers. I'll say "no" also. You are only legally rated based on the manufacturer specs (door jamb sticker). If something happens, wreck or worse, loss of life, any lawyer with or without a middle name AC (ambulance chaser) will easily win any resultant court case or insurance settlement. Second best advice, like what you got or buy a bigger truck and tow something that matches.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2021, 04:55 PM   #86

Axle ratings are below door sticker, yer all good. Lots of variables will have changed by the time insurance co. Gets around to having it towed to a scale, if it can be. Stay below axle ratings , Stay below gcwr when towing, stay bellow gvwr when separated and you've got the truck. Now if your the right driver or not that's another story
20 ram 3500 ho hd drw Laramie Cummins/aisin w/410 & auto level air suspension with max tow . BILLET silver sport ext. w/ black int. with 12" monitor with all safety features, camera , & luxuries. Full timers & building a Luxe 48fb w/ side patio.
Billett Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 05:00 PM   #87

I have a old truck but in doing my research what I did find was that often the sticker was the same for a model year make model etc but the manufacturer in fact used sometimes a 3/4 ton frame and other times a 1 ton frame for the same vehicle because that was the frame on hand..that is why we old truck owners actually went out and measured the frame..some were 6 inch steel and some were 8 inch steel frames, some were 1 ton dually rear ends without the outer tire and some were real single wheel axles Supposedly the 3/4 should have the 6 inch frame and the 1 ton the 8 inch..mine was badged as a 3/4 but has the 8 inch and the heavier duty rear end...fo figure..Now days Tesla had to stop for a couple of days cause they did not have enough chips...im sure if they had better ones they could put in to not stop the production line they did and never reflected it n the parts list for the vehicle
frodo2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 05:05 PM   #88

You can increase payload but you will kill the tranny
2cyber71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 05:28 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cyber71 View Post
You can increase payload but you will kill the tranny
Unless its an aisin
20 ram 3500 ho hd drw Laramie Cummins/aisin w/410 & auto level air suspension with max tow . BILLET silver sport ext. w/ black int. with 12" monitor with all safety features, camera , & luxuries. Full timers & building a Luxe 48fb w/ side patio.
Old 02-28-2021, 05:33 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
You can register truck for a Higher GVW then what is on the Mfg Data Sticker/Certification Label

You can add all the airbags, springs/coils, install higher load rated tires but the Rear Axle is going to be your MAX Limit regardless of other modifications
See what your trucks RAWR is....Data/Certification/Tire Load Stickers and THAT is what you can load truck up to

If you live in Pennsylvania, that is almost automatic. I have a 1/2 ton Silverado Z71 double cab that has to be registered as a class 2, 3/4 ton. The only trucks in A that they consider 1/2 ton are the smaller ones like the Chevy Colorado, Ford Ranger and Toyota Tacoma. PA needs the extra money.
glwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 05:56 PM   #91

The only way you can change the payload is by removing weight from the vehicle that you purchased.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 05:58 PM   #92

Ford Super Duty Owner
The results of overloading...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Overload Much.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	319667  
DFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 06:08 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFord View Post
The results of overloading...
Hahaha, omg, , please tell me that's not you, nobody is that
Old 02-28-2021, 06:25 PM   #94

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billett Bee View Post
Hahaha, omg, , please tell me that's not you, nobody is that

That's not me. That picture's been making the rounds on FB but it should drive home the point about what may happen if you overload your vehicle or try to use it for something it wasn't designed for.
DFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 06:46 PM   #95

The weakest link in the vehicle design is what will dictate your payload no matter what else you do. Beefup the frame, springs, tires, ...... what ever has the lowest capacity will negate all the enhancements. Yes it doable and can be done but cheaper to upsize or rightsize as the case maybe. One notable thing is many vehicles that are sold in Europe or Australia and here in the US will have lower capacity here compared to across the big ponds.... legal profession is to blame.
Old 02-28-2021, 07:48 PM   #96

Increased payloads. Simple put.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBW0926 View Post
Can you increase the payload of your truck by adding airbags, coils, tires?
A "PAYLOAD" is a specific weight assigned to a vehicle 1/2 ton 3/4 ton 1 ton.
These identifiers are federally mandated and certified. The legal aspect is about Engineering this vehicle weight upon the suspension/brakes/tires. The KEYWORD is PAYLOAD RATING...is the "SAFETY of the general motoring public, not just the owner/driver of the truck...when your world goes upside down.
Go to the NHSTA and get a education..IT IS ABOUT SAFETY when hauling or towing. JMHO.
alpenlite29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 08:06 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFord View Post
That's not me. That picture's been making the rounds on FB but it should drive home the point about what may happen if you overload your vehicle or try to use it for something it wasn't designed for.
Oh, I'm so oooooo glad, now I can say, what an non smart individual. Good laugh for the day
Old 02-28-2021, 08:20 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpenlite29 View Post
A "PAYLOAD" is a specific weight assigned to a vehicle 1/2 ton 3/4 ton 1 ton.
These identifiers are federally mandated and certified. The legal aspect is about Engineering this vehicle weight upon the suspension/brakes/tires. The KEYWORD is PAYLOAD RATING...is the "SAFETY of the general motoring public, not just the owner/driver of the truck...when your world goes upside down.
Go to the NHSTA and get a education..IT IS ABOUT SAFETY when hauling or towing. JMHO.
So for the sake of good healthy debate, if you believe the feds , engeniers, and nhsta all dictate these ratings based on safety if things go sideways. I don't agree with that but I agree, everything in life has its limit based on whatever reason. If you say the payload rating is based on the limits of the suspension, brakes, and tires and i or we can show everyone if those three things you just listed and there rating and its definitly over pl or gvwr , then how would you explain and what maybe else would you consider to be the weakest link, so we can disprove that. All in the fun of healthy debate of coarse.