Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2021, 08:24 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
Technically, yes, legally, no. If you have a F250, then swap out rear suspension, tires and whatever else may be different from an F350 then you'll have physically changed payload, as long as ALL other items (frame, engine and trans combo etc)are the same.

Legally, the sticker is the sticker and that might be changeable in some areas with expensive inspections an such.

If you are talking about almost any 1/2 ton, you're wasting your time. Rear axle is your weakest link, followed by tires, brakes and suspension. It's not worth trying to get 3/4 ton capability from a 1/2 ton.
So, I had what I called a ‘pretend’ F250; 1995/2000 F250, six cylinder, measley springs, 1 wheel drive, etc. my rear axle bearings went bad, and my mechanic replaced the rear axle with a real F250 rear axle (more axle bolts on the hubs, bigger brakes, more leaf springs). I hope this makes sense, obviously it was a while ago...

I expect you’d hav to do something like that to up your payload. Then your weak point will still be your engine and Tranny!
JaimesBeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2021, 09:11 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billett Bee View Post
Oh, I'm so oooooo glad, now I can say, what an non smart individual. Good laugh for the day
Oh Yeah? What do you tell the guy moving a mobile home over the Rockies with a 67 VW Van/PU? Or a 5th wheel with a Bug? :-)
JaimesBeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 09:15 PM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaimesBeam View Post
Oh Yeah? What do you tell the guy moving a mobile home over the Rockies with a 67 VW Van/PU? Or a 5th wheel with a Bug? :-)
I know what i would tell him, but id get kicked off the forum if i posted that. I'm just glad you weren't that guy, i don't no how long i could hold back.
20 ram 3500 ho hd drw Laramie Cummins/aisin w/410 & auto level air suspension with max tow . BILLET silver sport ext. w/ black int. with 12" monitor with all safety features, camera , & luxuries. Full timers & building a Luxe 48fb w/ side patio.
Billett Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 10:18 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
Remember, you have 4 things to consider when dealing with that increased load.
1. you have to support it, (suspension)
2. you have to move it, (engine and gears)
3. you have to stop it, (brakes)
4. you have to cool it. (radiator and trans coolers)
If you want to increase your carrying capacity, you have to increase all 4 factors.

Yes indeed, most people tend to overlook the stopping part especially.

I had the heavy 3/4 ton Power Wagon for my snow plowing business and it came from the factory with a chopped 600 series drive train along with a much bigger clutch and brakes. 12 was the magic number too since it had a 12 inch 4,800 lb clutch, 12 inch brakes and 12 leafs in the springs. The wheel bearings and king pin bearings were almost large enough for the bearings from the standard axle from the 3/4 ton truck to fit inside them. There were also additional ladder braces and gussets set in the frame from the factory to stiffen it up.

You can play with the registration in some States to legally register it without buying the real deal however if you can't stop, loose control, etc because of the additional weight and get into a traffic mishap then you ultimately are responsible for making it right for the others involved. You will probably see verbiage in the application where you are certifying that the vehicle is capable of carrying the weight you've specified too.

How many Big Rig/Commercial accidents from overloading do we have to see to understand playing the registration game is not that great an idea.
Old 03-01-2021, 07:31 AM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBW0926 View Post
Can you increase the payload of your truck by adding airbags, coils, tires?

Well I find it interesting that this is the OP's only post! He made it five days ago, and hasn't posted back, and we have over 100 post to the thread. He might be reading them, but hasn't responded.
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 07:36 AM   #104

Probably just sitting back watching us all bicker back and forth and laughing there rear off. If I was to start a post to rile everyone up and then walk away, it would either be a legal towing question or something to do with regen. then just pop a top and sit back and enjoy the show.
20 ram 3500 ho hd drw Laramie Cummins/aisin w/410 & auto level air suspension with max tow . BILLET silver sport ext. w/ black int. with 12" monitor with all safety features, camera , & luxuries. Full timers & building a Luxe 48fb w/ side patio.
Billett Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 10:21 AM   #105

I increased my payload by losing 25 lbs. In theory that directly increased my truck payload by 25 lbs.

Or should I say I can put 25lbs of other stuff in my truck since there is less of me. So that is kinda increasing the trucks payload...kinda.

I like the idea of removing seats and other stuff from the truck. You could also acid dip the doors to remove the heavy paint.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 10:32 AM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaimesBeam View Post

Hey that was a smart car. Here is the pic. Check out that tow dolly its the cats meow or the Dogs woof.

Old 03-01-2021, 10:35 AM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I increased my payload by losing 25 lbs. In theory that directly increased my truck payload by 25 lbs.

Or should I say I can put 25lbs of other stuff in my truck since there is less of me. So that is kinda increasing the trucks payload...kinda.

I like the idea of removing seats and other stuff from the truck. You could also acid dip the doors to remove the heavy paint.

Just awashin that mud off the truck does lift the body and spirit some, and I am sure reduces the weight on the suspension!
Old 03-01-2021, 10:44 AM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFord View Post
The results of overloading...
His picture has been circulated many times. It was the result of welding the camper tie downs to the frame and weakening it. The guy did not learn from his mistake the first time and destroyed a second truck frame doing the same.
Old 03-01-2021, 04:53 PM   #109

Agree with wash the mud off the truck and gain 30lbs. more cargo capacity.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 05:16 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post

Never thought about this. I guess my trucks payload capacity is gradually decreasing.
nicky8668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 05:26 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
I didn't read all the comments, but when I went to get my tags for a previous F-350 here in Texas, the lady helping said "That's the truck my husband wants so he can get a bigger 5'er"

I responded I do love the truck and it replaced an F-250 because it only had 9,999 Lbs as registered rating... and this one still is slightly under rated... she asked what did I need and added 2,000 lbs to the rating

legal or not, and protects me or not, I don't know - just my experience...
Registered weight AKA the amount you pay every year to haul can be what ever you want it to be and are willing to pay for. You can register it for 80k lbs doubt they will stop you Might ask you WHY so much. Like wise in WA state the Minimum that it can be is 1.5 X your scale ticket. For most trucks that weight # is already on the title from the manufacture so no scale ticket is needed. NOW if you buy an incomplete truck, or modify it you could challenge it with a scale ticket.
ALL of this is to make sure your paying your fair share of taxes on the road.

The only way to change the GVWR on the door as far as I know is the manufacture and or the certified place as referenced before.
I suspect any commercial Truck place could and would qualify. Example being they add and subtract lift axles every day all day on semi trucks.
DOT cares about bridge law, Width of your tires, and how much taxes did you pay and or NOT pay. With RV just about everyone is under registered.
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 08:41 PM   #112

Billet, start a post about towing doubles and see where goes 😀
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote