Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2021, 12:05 PM   #1

Question Can you increase payload?

Can you increase the payload of your truck by adding airbags, coils, tires?
GBW0926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2021, 12:06 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBW0926 View Post
This has been discussed million times. What’s on your door jamb is your payload. Nothing can change it. What you mentioned can enhance your ride and towing experience, but it doesn’t boost your payload.
nicky8668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 12:19 PM   #3

No.
Old 02-24-2021, 12:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBW0926 View Post
Technically, yes, legally, no. If you have a F250, then swap out rear suspension, tires and whatever else may be different from an F350 then you'll have physically changed payload, as long as ALL other items (frame, engine and trans combo etc)are the same.

Legally, the sticker is the sticker and that might be changeable in some areas with expensive inspections an such.

If you are talking about almost any 1/2 ton, you're wasting your time. Rear axle is your weakest link, followed by tires, brakes and suspension. It's not worth trying to get 3/4 ton capability from a 1/2 ton.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 12:49 PM   #5

You can register truck for a Higher GVW then what is on the Mfg Data Sticker/Certification Label

You can add all the airbags, springs/coils, install higher load rated tires but the Rear Axle is going to be your MAX Limit regardless of other modifications
See what your trucks RAWR is....Data/Certification/Tire Load Stickers and THAT is what you can load truck up to
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 01:07 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Air springs are a crutch to prop up the rear of the truck. You are limited by the rear axle rating and the tire ratings on the truck.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 01:07 PM   #7

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
You can register truck for a Higher GVW then what is on the Mfg Data Sticker/Certification Label

You can add all the airbags, springs/coils, install higher load rated tires but the Rear Axle is going to be your MAX Limit regardless of other modifications
See what your trucks RAWR is....Data/Certification/Tire Load Stickers and THAT is what you can load truck up to
I'm WITH old biscuit on this. My residency is in SD, and they will adjust my gvwr, wich obviously means more pl. I actually plan on doing this when i get my luxe 48fb. I'll be good on all axles and gcwr but my gvw will probably come in around 14,500, 500lbs over my gvwr. When i talked to the sd registers office, they said yes we can change your Gvwr and give you a higher sticker weight. They instructed me to load up my new rv with all my goodies, go to cat scale and weigh truck axles with trailer attached. Mail them my cat ticket and they would issue me a new sticker and change my paperwork to show gvwr of what both axles weighed in at. That would take me up to a class 4 vehicle wich is only $7.00 more on my tags. They then said I would need to let my insurance company know so they can also change it and bill me, a higher rate obviously. Called my insurance and the reaffirmed this. I honestly don't care about 500lbs but my wife likes to keep everything legal and legit. I'm not worried in the least if my vehicle can handle 14.5k or 15k or combined axle weight of 15,750. The vehicle and its components are rated for 43. Plus Im an old truck driver, so just a tad bit of experience to boot.
20 ram 3500 ho hd drw Laramie Cummins/aisin w/410 & auto level air suspension with max tow . BILLET silver sport ext. w/ black int. with 12" monitor with all safety features, camera , & luxuries. Full timers & building a Luxe 48fb w/ side patio.
Billett Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 01:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post

!!!
20 ram 3500 ho hd drw Laramie Cummins/aisin w/410 & auto level air suspension with max tow . BILLET silver sport ext. w/ black int. with 12" monitor with all safety features, camera , & luxuries. Full timers & building a Luxe 48fb w/ side patio.
Old 02-24-2021, 01:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky8668 View Post
What’s on your door jamb is your payload. Nothing can change it.
That’s not entirely accurate. The doorjam stickers are an estimate of vehicle payload. GVWR is the hard number that cannot be changed.

The only way to know the vehicles true payload is to use a certified weight scale with a full tank of gas and subtract that from GVWR.
IvoryHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 01:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvoryHemi View Post
That’s not entirely accurate. The doorjam stickers are an estimate of vehicle payload. GVWR is the hard number that cannot be changed.

The only way to know the vehicles true payload is to use a certified weight scale with a full tank of gas and subtract that from GVWR.
In some states/ areas, gvwr can to be changed through a process that I laid out a few posts prior
Old 02-24-2021, 01:32 PM   #11

So can someone tell me why two different motor homes both with the Freightliner XC chassis one with a cat 3126 275 hp and the other with a cummins 5.9 275 hp have 2 different towing weights ? the cat was 10,000 and the cummins 5000, I owned them both one was H/R endeaver the other Allegro Bus .The H/R had the 10,000 tow rating
swampdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 01:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampdog2 View Post
So can someone tell me why two different motor homes both with the Freightliner XC chassis one with a cat 3126 275 hp and the other with a cummins 5.9 275 hp have 2 different towing weights ? the cat was 10,000 and the cummins 5000, I owned them both one was H/R endeaver the other Allegro Bus .The H/R had the 10,000 tow rating
Assuming they both had the same transmission then I would say it was a cooling issue with the 5.9.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 02:03 PM   #13

Rear end gear or tranny
Old 02-24-2021, 02:12 PM   #14

No!
I agree with much of the above but the limiting factors also include the body and frame. It would be much cheaper to buy a one ton or whatever is required.

You can't put a gallon into a quart can.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote