Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2020, 10:46 PM   #1

Smile Can't Find 5th Wheel Transport.

I am finding it difficult to hire someone to transport my 27' Golden Falcon from Tacoma area to Mesa AZ. Is it because of Covid?
I have been a full timer for fifteen years and never had difficulty finding someone to transport to the next location even out of state.
I have health issues that force me to stay with my sister in AZ for the winter. I want to move the RV so that next spring I can put it in a park nearby. I have had no response on U-ship and when I call local movers who advertise out of state, I am told they are not transporting "out of state right now." I don't want to leave it in storage here partly because winters are hard on it and because I might want to stay in it if my health improves enough to do so.
I'm just curious. Is it too difficult to travel during the pandemic? Reading posts on this forum, it sounds like some of you are getting on the road just fine. Any thoughts? Suggestions?
mickeyleighe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2020, 11:02 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Maybe part of the problem is liability. It not going on a trailer so it’s your tires, brakes, suspension, pin and lights that the driver would be relying on. It would be different if it were going on a low boy, but it might be a permit load because of height. I sent a email with some other questions.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 11:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyleighe View Post
I am finding it difficult to hire someone to transport my 27' Golden Falcon from Tacoma area to Mesa AZ. Is it because of Covid?
I have been a full timer for fifteen years and never had difficulty finding someone to transport to the next location even out of state.
I have health issues that force me to stay with my sister in AZ for the winter. I want to move the RV so that next spring I can put it in a park nearby. I have had no response on U-ship and when I call local movers who advertise out of state, I am told they are not transporting "out of state right now." I don't want to leave it in storage here partly because winters are hard on it and because I might want to stay in it if my health improves enough to do so.
I'm just curious. Is it too difficult to travel during the pandemic? Reading posts on this forum, it sounds like some of you are getting on the road just fine. Any thoughts? Suggestions?
I deliver new campers from Goshen to dealerships around the country. I’ve not experienced any issues driving through or delivering to any states.
If none of the hotshotters are responding, you might consider contacting one of the RV transport companies in Indiana. I once pulled a pipeline worker’s fifth wheel from Pennsylvania to Louisiana that was arranged that way.
Old 08-07-2020, 06:42 AM   #4

Maybe try again. I can believe no one will transport the little 5th wheel for you. Who do you usually use?
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 08:39 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

There are lots of big RV parks in the Seattle/Tacoma area. I would go to a few and ask the manager for a suggestion as to someone to tow your trailer to the Phoenix area. If no luck, then the next choice would be to find an 18-wheeler flat bed trucking company, but that might be a tad expensive.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 01:04 AM   #6

This is who I used a few months ago to ship from Indiana to Tacoma-ish; I was very pleased with both the service and the price:

Paul
Eagleline Shipping LLC
Call or Text/SMS: (561) 886-8108
Email: shipping@eaglelinetransport.com
jjackrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 07:13 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
Maybe part of the problem is liability. It not going on a trailer so it’s your tires, brakes, suspension, pin and lights that the driver would be relying on. It would be different if it were going on a low boy, but it might be a permit load because of height. I sent a email with some other questions.
Thanks for your response. I always find good information on this site and my last post was no exception. I found a transporter after making a call to a couple parks, placing an ad on Craig's list (too sketchy) and calling a couple transporters mentioned by other members of this forum. I settled on a uShip transporter who will tow it for a reasonable rate and has good references. A flatbed, while preferred, is just too expensive for my budget. Thanks again for your thoughts.
Old 08-08-2020, 07:16 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
I deliver new campers from Goshen to dealerships around the country. I’ve not experienced any issues driving through or delivering to any states.
If none of the hotshotters are responding, you might consider contacting one of the RV transport companies in Indiana. I once pulled a pipeline worker’s fifth wheel from Pennsylvania to Louisiana that was arranged that way.
Thank you for taking the time to respond. I put your suggestion on my list but found transport before I got to that suggestion. My transporter operates his business out of Texas. Thanks again.
Old 08-08-2020, 07:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Maybe try again. I can believe no one will transport the little 5th wheel for you. Who do you usually use?
Normally use uShip and they did finally come through for me again. I am a compulsive organizer and was getting nervous about the delay in finding someone. It's the most important part of this necessary trip. Thank you for your response.
Old 08-08-2020, 07:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
There are lots of big RV parks in the Seattle/Tacoma area. I would go to a few and ask the manager for a suggestion as to someone to tow your trailer to the Phoenix area. If no luck, then the next choice would be to find an 18-wheeler flat bed trucking company, but that might be a tad expensive.
Thank you for your suggestion. I did talk to my own park manager and two others. However, the transporters only do local work. It was a good thought and I kept them in mind if I had to go to Plan B and put my rig in storage and wait 'til later to bring it down to Arizona. Thankfully, I won't have to do so.
Thanks again.
Old 08-08-2020, 07:25 AM   #11

Finding a transporter [emoji106]
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 07:31 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackrash View Post
This is who I used a few months ago to ship from Indiana to Tacoma-ish; I was very pleased with both the service and the price:

Paul
Eagleline Shipping LLC
Call or Text/SMS: (561) 886-8108
Email: shipping@eaglelinetransport.com
Thank you for the referral. I put them into my planner and will contact them for future reference. uShip came through and I do have a transporter, so all is well. Unless I've forgotten something, which, at my age, is definitely a possibility.
Thanks again.
Old 08-09-2020, 12:30 AM   #13

I am glad it worked out!
jjackrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 03:39 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyleighe View Post
Thank you for the referral. I put them into my planner and will contact them for future reference. uShip came through and I do have a transporter, so all is well. Unless I've forgotten something, which, at my age, is definitely a possibility.
Thanks again.
Can you tell me what the Uship shipper is charging for this move?
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel