Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2016, 08:00 PM   #1

Cetane Boost

Anyone use a cetane boost in their diesels while towing? If so, what do you have and what are your results.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2016, 08:10 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I use Fleetguard Asphaltene Conditioner. My engine runs smoother and quieter.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 08:14 PM   #3

I don't feel my Cummins needs it. More of a Ford fuel pump thing.
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 07:44 AM   #4

Fuel with a lower than required cetane number will not ignite as quickly as a correct fuel. I have had some bad fuel that was corrected by adding booster. The way I figured out that the fuel was the problem, my Ford idled loud and ugly like a Cummins.

Some cetane boosters have added lubricity that may prolong the life of the high pressure fuel pump.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 08:42 AM   #5

Stanadyne.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:46 AM   #6

I went to a diesel seminar hosted by international at my local ford dealer. The rep brought up a very good point.

When you pull up to the pump to get unleaded you have choices as to octane rating. When you pull up to fill with diesel there is only one choice and the cetane rating isn't even listed.

I own a 6.0 powerstroke and it is finicky to start with let alone dumping substandard fuel in it. The 6.0 was designed in Europe and diesel quality is much higher there. So is the price.

I've asked several station managers what the cetane rating for their diesel is and not one knew.

Cetane booster is added to my tank every fill up. I use Diesel Kleen as I can buy it anywhere. I think Ford has their brand, but I'm not always near a dealership.
Rolfsted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 09:08 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
With my 4th gen 6.7 and all the smog sensors I will not risk the damage to one of them with any additive. I have never felt the real need for more power even while towing in the mountains.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 09:36 AM   #8

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDEBILL308 View Post
I use Fleetguard Asphaltene Conditioner. My engine runs smoother and quieter.
Bill
Conditioner yes!
But I don't believe it is either a Cetane or Octane booster.
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 09:51 AM   #9

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What is Cetane Number?
Cetane number is a measure of the ignition quality of a diesel fuel. It is often mistaken as a measure of fuel quality. Cetane number is actually a measure of a fuel's ignition delay. This is the time period between the start of injection and start of combustion (ignition) of the fuel. In a particular diesel engine, higher cetane fuels will have shorter ignition delay periods than lower cetane fuels.

Cetane number should not be considered alone when evaluating diesel fuel quality. API gravity, BTU content, distillation range, sulfur content, stability and flash point are all very important. In colder weather, cloud point and low temperatujre filter plugging point may be critical factors.

Determining Cetane Number

The optical method for determining cetane number is ASTM test D-613. This method requires the use of an industry standard test engine equipped with accepted instrumentation and operated under specific conditions. In this test, the engine compression ratio is varied for the test sample and reference fuels of known cetane number to obtain a fixed ignition delay. The compression ratio of the sample is bracketed by those of two reference fuels. The cetane number of the sample fuel is determined by estimating between the two reference fuel points.

How Does Cetane Number Affect Engine Operation

There is no benefit to using a higher cetane number fuel than is specified by the engine's manufacturer. The ASTN Standard Specification for Diesel Fuel Oils (D-975) states. "The cetane number requirements depend on engine design, size, nature of speed and load variations, and on starting and atmospheric conditions. Increase in cetane number over values actually required does not materially improve engine performance. Accordingly, the cetane number specified should be as low as possible to insure maximum fuel availability." This quote underscores the importance of matching engine cetane requirements with fuel cetane number.

Diesel fuels with cetane number lower than minimum engine requirements can cause rough engine operation. They are more difficult to start, expecially in cold weather or at high altitudes. They accelerate lube oil sludge formation. Many low cetane fuels increase engine deposits resulting in more smoke, increased exhaust emissions and greater engine wear.

Using fuels which meet engine operating requirements will improve cold starting, reduce smoke during start-up, improve fuel economy, reduce exhaust emissions, improve engine durability and reduce noise and vibration. These engine fuel requirements are published in the operating manual for each specific engine or vehicle.

Overall fuel quality and performance depend on the ratio of parafinic and aromatic hydrocarbons, the presence of sulfur, water, bacteria and other contaminants, and the fuel's resistance to oxidation. The most important measure of fuel quality included API gravity, heat value (BTU content), distillation range and viscosity. Cleanliness and corrosion resistance are also important. For use in cold weather, cloud point and low temperature filter plugging point must receive serious consideration. Cetane number does not measure any of these characteristics.

Cetane Improvers / Ignition Accelerators

U.S. diesel fuels are blends of distillate fuels and cracked petroleum hydrocarbons. The cracked hydrocarbons are low cetane compounds, largely due to their aromatic content. To meet the cetane number demands of most diesel engines, cetane improvers must be added to these blends. The lower cetane cracked compounds are less responsive to these cetane improvers than the higher cetane paraffinic fuels.

Cetane improvers modify combustion in the engine. They encourage early and uniform ignition of the fuel. They discourage premature combustion and excessive rate of pressure increase in the combustion cycle. Depending on the amount of high versus low cetane components in the base fuel, typically alkyl nitrate additive treatments can increase cetane by about 3 to 5 numbers (1:1000 treatment ratio). With high natural cetane premium base buels (containing a high percentage of parafins) and a 1:500 treatment ratio, cetane may increase up to a maximum of about 7 numbers.

Most cetane improvers contain alkyl nitrates which break down readily to provide additional oxygen for better combustion. They also break down and oxidize fuel in storage. This generates organic particulates, water, and sludge - all of which degrade fuel quality. The result is often a fuel which no longer meets even minimum requirements. (*Because of these drawbacks, nitrate cetane improvers are not used in Fuel Magic.)

Fuel Magic is blended to improve oxidation stability while providing a cetane number increase of 2 to 3 numbers. Fuel Magic improves combustion while reducing oxidation and particulate formation, increasing storage stability, and enhancing fuel quality.

Do Cetane Improving Additives Really Improve Fuel Quality?

Fuel quality is defined by the physical property specifications given in the ASTM Standard Specification for Diesel Fuel Oils, ASTM D-975. Carbon residue, ash and sulfur increase engine wear and deposit formation. Premium diesel fuels should have lower specifications for these properties. Additionally, premium diesel fuels should be more stable in storage than standard fuels, so the premium fuel quality you purchase won't degrade over time. This is the area where nitrate-containing cetane improvers cause problems. (*Fuel Magic contains no alkyl nitrates.)

More fuel retailers are introducing premium diesel fuels, touting high cetane number as the sole benchmark of fuel quality. Contrary to this assumption, a cetane number which is too high may cause too short an ignition delay period. This changes the timing of the pressure peak, resulting in loss of power. When this happens, many of the performance problems associated with low cetane fuel will result. While the problems due to low cetane largely disappear after the engine warms up, with too high a cetane, these problems will persist even with a hot engine.

Specifying Essential Diesel Fuel Characteristics

Cetane number is an important measure of ignition quality, or cold-starting ability. API gravity is an excellent indicator of heat value, which translates into fuel economy and power. The distillation curve reflects the molecular weight distribution, with higher boiling fractions providing better lubrication, higher cetane - and more deposits. Sulfur content is directly related to corrosion, this needs to be as low as possible. Oxidation stability, water, and sediment content affect the storage life of the oil. For winter use, low cloud point and low temperature filter plugging point are critical to uninterrupted operation. To insure the best quality fuel for your diesel engines, follow the engine manufacturer's specifications for all these characteristics.
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 09:54 AM   #10

I use Power Service. It will also help failing VP44 injection pumps idle correctly when they are on their way out. Ask me how I know. LOL

It's not so much a seat of pants fell that you get as much as it is the piece of mind that it adds lubricity back to the EPA's bull crap sulfer reduced diesel.

I also buy their junk because they sponsor a good friend of mine. This is the old funny car chassis with the altered body on it. He will be at this same drag strip (Tulsa Raceway Park) this weekend with his new rail.

http://youtu.be/QN-0dgfNOpY
4x4dually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 10:14 AM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Most cetane improvers contain alkyl nitrates which break down readily to provide additional oxygen for better combustion. They also break down and oxidize fuel in storage. This generates organic particulates, water, and sludge - all of which degrade fuel quality. The result is often a fuel which no longer meets even minimum requirements.
So then, the potential to be more trouble than it's worth. As long as my rig climbs the hills on the unaltered pump fuel, I think I'll pass.
Old 05-19-2016, 10:23 AM   #12

No..........

Additives/boosters or any other 'product'

2007 Dodge 5.9L CTD
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 03:53 PM   #13

The International rep said ALWAYS use cetane booster in the 6.0.

So I do.
Rolfsted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 09:01 PM   #14

This is all good info. Some of it hard to digest, but all good.

I pulled from northern Michigan to central Illinois yesterday. Got 12.5 mpg until I hit northern Illinois and got a bio-diesel blend. Then it dropped to a little over 11.

I've currently been adding Lucas every tank. Also started adding a cetane boost. Doubt I'll continue using the boost when it's gone.