Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2019, 06:33 PM   #1

Chevy 2.8 Diesel and 7K Trailer

Anybody towing a 6k to 7K lbs travel trailer (loaded) with the new(wish) Duramax 2.8 turbo diesel? Any problems or issues going through the Rocky Mts? If you have a 4x4 what is your payload capacity? Would you buy it again?
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2019, 10:14 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
Anybody towing a 6k to 7K lbs travel trailer (loaded) with the new(wish) Duramax 2.8 turbo diesel? Any problems or issues going through the Rocky Mts? If you have a 4x4 what is your payload capacity? Would you buy it again?
I tow about 5k with no real concerns... however, never in those extreme conditions

I recommend you check Coloradofans.com for more information regarding towing capabilities of the Mini Max...

I remember reading a few posts regarding towing TTs cross the country

Specifically this one:
https://www.coloradofans.com/forums/...r-rockies.html
Old 03-08-2019, 01:01 PM   #3

This might be informative:
TFL Truck

I have a Colorado, and I wouldn't do it. Operating at full capacity makes towing a chore.
Old 03-08-2019, 04:07 PM   #4

Thanks for the info.The coloradofans website seems to have number of people that tow the weight range I do and seem very positive about the trucks abilities. Thats the kind of info I need.
Old 03-08-2019, 04:11 PM   #5

….here is some other data you might consider----its not always how much weight you can tow; its often how much weight you can stop!
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 04:28 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
….here is some other data you might consider----its not always how much weight you can tow; its often how much weight you can stop!
Wasting your breath. He already accepted "because other people do it" makes it safe to do so. Tongue weight, payload, and hoping to stop on the downhill portion is obviously not a consideration.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 08:34 PM   #7

With the Green Diesel Engineering tune the 2.8 is an efficient and capable lil tow machine and a much more enjoyable driver. 6k would work well 7 likely gets to be a bit more of a chore as you are pushing the limits. Even with proper set up using a WDH set by CAT scale results. The turbo brake with a trailer brake controller makes controlling speed on a hill very safe and comfortable as the the truck brakes are always cool and fresh for a quick stop. Even if some guys think its going to work like an 80s gas half ton its not. Payload is reasonable to a 6k trailer unless you need to load the bed heavy. I like this truck for towing a boat. But I am not as much of a fan of the narrower wheelbase for towing a long flat side wind sail aka TT. Built in sway control in your WDH would be a requirement for a 6k TT as well as proper set up to CAT scale results.
VernDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 07:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
Wasting your breath. He already accepted "because other people do it" makes it safe to do so. Tongue weight, payload, and hoping to stop on the downhill portion is obviously not a consideration.
It's good to know there is at least one person who can read someone's mind. You must generate a lot of laughs at kid's birthday parties.

One thing I have learned is that a trailer with brakes on both axles really helps out when braking.

I have a 2011 Tundra 4x4 with 5.7L engine w/tow package. It gets about 10 mpg when towing, on a good day. It also only has a 26.4 gal gas tank. So it seems like I have to stop at almost every gas station, particularly in the boonies. It sure would be nice to get a TT puller that has both good mileage and a large gas can attached to the underbody. The Colorado may get good mileage but it only has a 21 gallon fuel tank.
Old 03-09-2019, 08:08 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
It's good to know there is at least one person who can read someone's mind. You must generate a lot of laughs at kid's birthday parties.

One thing I have learned is that a trailer with brakes on both axles really helps out when braking.

I have a 2011 Tundra 4x4 with 5.7L engine w/tow package. It gets about 10 mpg when towing, on a good day. It also only has a 26.4 gal gas tank. So it seems like I have to stop at almost every gas station, particularly in the boonies. It sure would be nice to get a TT puller that has both good mileage and a large gas can attached to the underbody. The Colorado may get good mileage but it only has a 21 gallon fuel tank.
Tundra is a full size truck rated to tow up to 10,000 lbs camper is well within your safe towing limits. The Colorado is a midsize max tow 7000lbs.
Apples and Oranges.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 08:47 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Quote:
Am I to understand from this the ability to stop and control the load is not taken into consideration when the manufacturer says "Can tow xxxx lbs when properly equipped?

Quote:
Tundra is a full size truck rated to tow up to 10,000 lbs camper is well within your safe towing limits. The Colorado is a midsize max tow 7000lbs.
Apples and Oranges.
OK, so one truck towing at the max capacity is much better than another truck towing at a lower max capacity? Not real sure I can stand under that logic.
What I wonder is do ether really advertise what the tow rating for a given vehicle is. For instance, if the vehicle they use for testing to assign the rating has a cheap rubber floormat, cheap bench seat, and crank up windows, what is the tow rating for one equipped the way most modern Americans would have to have it to drive?
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 12:47 PM   #11

There are too many types of trailers. Cargo, Flatbed, Travel Trailer, Car Hauler, Boat for example for a manufacturer to pick one. They never say our truck can tow a x amout of travel trailer.

I towed boats which never swayed where a travel trailer does sway for a simple example. Boats simply are easier to tow.
A 7,000 lb. boat is easier to tow than a 7,000 lb. Travel Trailer. I have never seen a WD hitch on any boat. I see them on 95% of travel trailers.

I would imagine a flatbed trailer with bricks weighing 7,000lbs. with the bricks placed over the axles would be easier yet.

Also I have had a bad experience anytime I maxxed out a tow vehicle.

I am starting to think manufacturers need to specify how much Travel Trailer their truck can tow safely, then how much Boat they can tow safely, then a car hauler, then a cargo trailer etc. etc. Not all are equal with a travel trailer being the toughest to tow and control.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 02:25 PM   #12

Maybe this will help...

http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/tow...-the-standard/

The manufacturers are slowly coming around to a universal standard, the Big 3 have been playing since the 2016MY.

There is a braking standard now.

It's a good read, and it shows the minimum that a TV must perform with a trailer.

Anything more than that, and you are becoming the test driver.

Having said that...

Just because a vehicle can't tow a trailer up a 12% grade 5 times in 10 minutes, doesn't mean it's not safe... (If that is the limiting factor in testing, for example)

When you hear some Nervous-Nellie's on these forums, it seems like the only TV that's acceptable is a 1ton dually.
By that logic, most tractor-trailers shouldn't be anywhere near their gross weight.

The reality is somewhere in between.
sirtate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 03:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I am starting to think manufacturers need to specify how much Travel Trailer their truck can tow safely, then how much Boat they can tow safely, then a car hauler, then a cargo trailer etc. etc. Not all are equal with a travel trailer being the toughest to tow and control.
This is the consumers job, but one that most fail miserably at.
Old 03-09-2019, 04:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
There are too many types of trailers. Cargo, Flatbed, Travel Trailer, Car Hauler, Boat for example for a manufacturer to pick one. They never say our truck can tow a x amout of travel trailer.

I towed boats which never swayed where a travel trailer does sway for a simple example. Boats simply are easier to tow.
A 7,000 lb. boat is easier to tow than a 7,000 lb. Travel Trailer. I have never seen a WD hitch on any boat. I see them on 95% of travel trailers.

I would imagine a flatbed trailer with bricks weighing 7,000lbs. with the bricks placed over the axles would be easier yet.

Also I have had a bad experience anytime I maxxed out a tow vehicle.

You are right, the same weight can tow different depending on shape. A flatbed load of bricks grossing 65,000 pulls much easier than a van loaded to the same weight.
But you ever wonder why the dragster pops a chute at the end of his run? When it comes to stopping the 7,000 lb TT will stop just as easy as the load of bricks. And the first time I pulled a TT I was surprised at the grade I had to pedal to hold speed.
Now as to the maxxed out vehicle. Loaded drives different. Bell, a couple fat girls in the back seat of DW's cage, I can tell the difference. But I have driven a verity of vehicles over their rating, and rarely have had issues. But as you get close to max, things can go bad quick. This is what bothers me, most RVers never weigh their snot, have no idea where they are compared to ratings...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtate View Post
Just because a vehicle can't tow a trailer up a 12% grade 5 times in 10 minutes, doesn't mean it's not safe... (If that is the limiting factor in testing, for example)

When you hear some Nervous-Nellie's on these forums, it seems like the only TV that's acceptable is a 1ton dually.
By that logic, most tractor-trailers shouldn't be anywhere near their gross weight.

The reality is somewhere in between.
Bell, some of these guys want to climb the grade fast enough to make their ears pop, or they need more power
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chevy, diesel, trailer